Options

Prescription swimming goggles

I currently take my glasses poolside so that I can read my swim sets and/or see my swim watch but I am now thinking of prescription swimming goggles.

I am blind in one eye, have an astigmatism in the other, and wear varifocals

i have done a quick goggle and I am not sure whether to get ready-made prescription goggles or whether to go for custom ones.

Should I go for long distance or short distance given I could be wearing them OW

Does anyone who wears varifiocals and/or have an astigmatism have any experience of either? 

Would be good to get some opinions and advice.  Cheers

Comments

• Options

Schmunks, as per usual, I have nothing constructive to say, other than your issues are obviously a benefit when it comes to gazing on Barley!!  imageimage

• Options

I have -5.0/-6.0 eyes with astigmatism and I just use Aquasphere Eagle with the off-the-shelf corrective lenses i.e. no correction for astigmatism.  I don't find that a problem to be honest, I don't need 100% perfect vision while swimming anyway.  I can recognise people, read my watch, that sort of thing.  

• Options

In the pool you want to be able to read close up for your plan/watch; in OW you need to be able to see distance for sighting. I'd guess you'd only get both in custom made goggles - unless you get two off the shelf pairs, one for pool, one for OW.

I use varifocal glasses but prefer contacts with different strengths for each eye. Means I can wear normal goggles/sunglasses and still read my watch and see into the distance image

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I use the Aquasphere Eagle too - each lens is -0.25 off of my prescription, but I don't notice at all once the lenses are wet image 

• Options
    SlugsSlugs ✭✭✭

+1 for the Aquasphere eagles. Gone years struggling to see in the pool & open water, had my regular eye test in the Autumn, so decided to give them a try. I'd had a pair of ordinary Eagles previously so knew they fitted my awkward shaped head. Wish I'd done it years ago now. Pity they are not tinted, so think I may suffer when we get outside in the sun.

• Options

Thanks for the recommendations for Aqua Sphere Eagles.

Have googled them and, because they sell the lenses individually, I can get away with only buying the one for my good eye image

Off to find my prescription now

• Options

I have used ready made since I started about 10 years ago. I have a -8 for one eye and a -7 for the other which are about 0.25 off my prescription. They are not perfect as I also use varifocal and have an astigmatism, but they do the job for open water swimming. I do not find it too much of a problem in the pool, although as someone does point out it can be tricky to read your watch if the numbers are small. 

I get mine from Vision express who have been very helpful over the years. They, at least the last time I bought locally, also sell the lens individually.

I am sure you will appreciate the benefit of being able to see better in the water.

• Options

Thank you all!

Order for Aquasphere Eagles placed with Wiggle image