Options

Started running at 40 - how good a runner could you be!

13»

Comments

• Options

If I could answer the OP's original question in a different way - how much has your WAVA improved since you started running in your 40s? Some selected points for me:

• First ever half 2005, age 47 WAVA 55
    • Stockholm mara 2005, age 48 WAVA 53
    • Prague marathon 2008, age 50 WAVA 58
    • Prague marathon 2009, age 51 WAVA 59
    • Oslo marathon 2010, aged 53 WAVA 63
    • Oslo marathon 2011, age 54 Wava 66
    • Oslo marathon 2012, age 55 WAVA 68
    • Oslo marathon 2013, age 56 WAVA 70

The WAVA is still a bit higher for shorter races, possibly indicating I need to keep working on the endurance, but the gap is closing. I don't think those stats are particularly impressive or exceptional, more an indication of change over time of a club level runner. So I guess that's some kind of indication how much you can improve if you keep going.

• Options

I didn't run a step between leaving school at 18 and hitting 40 when I did the Great North Run in 2:09. I got my half time down to mid 1:40's within 12 months, then 1:38 in the 2nd year. After a couple of years at that level I got serious about marathon training and steadily improved until at 49 I got my half time down to 1:24 and marathon to 3:07. My plan was for an all-out assault on a sub-3 at 50 but sadly I got injured and missed most of last year. VLM has come too soon for a sub-3 attempt next month, but Abingdon in October is now the win or bust sub-3 target, and I figure a sub-3 time at 51 will be a good point to retire from marathons and concentrate on shorter distances and a couple of other goals that don't require quite so much time (such as achieving an 80% wava or a 5k (or longer) at under 6 minute miling).

• Options

Long slow run today - 14 miles done. Since the beginning of the year I've been more disciplined with my long runs making sure I run at a lot slower pace. Last year when I first started every time I went out for a run I wanted to run faster every run even on long runs. I ended up being completely run down, zero energy. How naive is that.

But hey i think that's because of my competitive nature which I'm keeping in check now so I can smash my times on race days. 

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Met a guy today who had started running age 48, and recorded 3.23 I think, age 60. Respect
  • Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

It's weird - people just seem to be gifted with speed while others are not. I have no idea what it is but I know i am in the turtle camp, i am very very sorry to say.

• Options

But are you an improving turtle though Khanivore 

• Options
    I've heard you will improve over a 10 year period no matter when you start. No idea if that's true, but I'm sticking to it. I will therefore achieve my goals well over 50. image
  • Options

Hitting 50 was a killer for me.

• Options

Sounds good to me PSC 

• Options

Going to try a 5.30am run tomorrow, never run at that time before. Bet my bed wins though, need to run early busy day.