Options

VLM - how early should supporters head for the Mall?

My son is determined to get to the Mall to see me (well Mo, mainly, I suspect) at the end. He says he wants to get there early to get a good place, but realistically, are we talking about camping out all night?

Does anyone have any experience of bagging a prime spot?

Comments

• Options
    StiltsStilts ✭✭✭

I've managed to get a prime spot at the top of Birdcage Walk a couple of times (4/200? metres to go) people are coming and going all the time so you can usually sidle to the front if you put your mind to it.

• Options

I have spectated there and had relatives come to see me twice. All three times we/they  managed to get the same spot by Buckingham Palace, just before you turn into the Mall.

What happens is that, as runners go through, their family drifts off to meet them at Horse Guards so, as Stilts says, people are actually coming and going all the time.

Generally, later will probably be better but if they want to wait there from the off, their view will probably improve as the day goes on -  depending on what time you expect to finish of course.

• Options

That's useful to know, thanks ... But if my family wanted to see the winners as well as me, does anyone know how soon they should bag their space at the front?

• Options
    ToroToro ✭✭✭

Can you actually get to the front of the mall?  I thought it was all VIP seating.  Can't say I noticed if it was hoi polloi or accredited types... i'll check on 13 April... image 

• Options

No, the Mall itself is VIP seating.

Only about a third of the Mall is part of the the course anyway, the rest is beyond the finish - chip removal, baggage trucks etc.

• Options

What about Birdcage Walk, then?

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I ve never been on the mall, but my family gett o Tower bridge at about nineish and are able to pick their spot.

If he's mad keen on the mall, you could contact some of the golden bond charities and ask for a couple of tickets in return for a donation? Even the little hospice I have fundraised for have some tickets for the stands every year. Ive seen them on ebay too, but obviously that is frowned upon.

• Options

Birdcage Walk should be fine. It should be easier for your family to get to Horse Guards from that side of St. James's Park too.