Options

Q&A with GB runner Susan Partridge

2»

Comments

• Options
    Miss Kovich wrote (see)

Hi Susan, I know the complete marathon training plan consists of many different disciplines, but what do you consider to be the most effective way to train for speed endurance and are there specific sessions you would particularly recommend;  all my race stats over every distance - including 20 miles - suggest a marathon time which is almost 10 minutes quicker than I have ever managed and I need to find a way to fulfil my potential.  Thanks!

Hi Miss Kovich

It’s difficult to offer advice without knowing what you are already doing but in my experience when people aren't happy with their marathon times they try to do more, which may just make you more tired without making you run faster. Mileage is the marathon runner’s safety net and for the most part it works pretty well but sometimes it’s worth having the confidence to reduce your training and increase the intensity. What works for one person doesn’t necessarily work for another but, for me, the session I wouldn’t do without is my short tempo. I run hard for 15-30mins. These should feel like you’re really pushing yourself, too long and you’ll just end up running slowly. I mention some of the other sessions I do in my answer to Stevie G. 

I think that what ever training plan you chose to follow, the key is making sure that your quality sessions stay quality. It's o.k. to feel tired during a marathon build up but not so tired that every day is a slog. Don't be tempted to run everything slowly just to get big mileage. 

Also, I wouldn't beat yourself up too much – 10 minutes in the marathon is no big deal! It’s very hard to get exactly right. I'm sure a faster time is in you somewhere.  

• Options

Thanks everyone for your questions. 

I hope I didn't miss anyone and that you got the answers you were looking for. 

I'm no expert on training/nutrition etc but I'm happy to share my experience. I hope it helps.

Good luck!