Options

Chicago marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Well done Jonah.  I'm so jealous of folk that run Boston it is the best of the best and other than the one occasion I shouldn't have ran it (but did) I've never been good enough to go back.  Congratulations on making the start line and even more for getting your way to the finish a millisecond faster than last year.  Have a great week in Boston and Cape Cod.  See you when you get back if you don't pop in before. image

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Hey good luck in hamburg C33. Just back from the stunning beautifull Two Oceans Marathon in SA and the sun came out and cooked me during the second half!! Still got round in one piece and within the cut off times!!

• Options

Well done marty nice to see you home in one piece and surviving the marathon that is a teency weency bit on the long side.  I never really get how the two oceans marathon is 35 miles long but hey ho that's what it is so you have to run it.  Not sure about this 35 miles of sunshine lark I think my limit is about 3.5 miles when it gets really hot lol.

One week to go until the race, image  4 more days at work and then holiday time. image

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Just a quick one to say have fun in Hamburg C33.

But even though TO is 35 miles long, it is without doubt the most beautiful race i have run. Would recommend to anyone who fancies a lovely run and then fantastic time in Cape Town afterwards.

• Options

Well hello there everybody.  Long time no see and all that.  Where did May go????

Well hamburg went surprisingly well.  I ran 3:14:18 and am claiming an overseas PB if such a thing exists.  I've only gone faster than that 3 times in 23 finishes (24 attempts I try not to mention the 24th too often) and those were in Edinburgh twice and Manchester.  I've tended to travel as badly as kegs of guiness!!!!!

Funny wee race.  Lots of runners, nice course, good city, fantastic crowds but for some reason inspite of it having all the ingredients you would look for in a race it felt like a smaller race than Frankfurt last year which had smaller crowds, the same number of runners and a drearier course.  I did like it though.  Other than that the holiday was more miss than hit.  It was hijacked by two friends who wanted to go to hamburg for the other things hamburg is famous for and we had sod all in common for 5 days.  I wanted to see castles, the footie stadium, miniature wonderland and run a marathon they wanted to get hammered and see the sleazy bits of town.  Not my cup of tea at all.  On the upside I don't think they will be wanting to come with me again!!!!!!

How are all the rest of you doing?  What you been up to? What are the holiday plans?

Bad news if you fancy seeing some sport while you are in Chicago.  baseball is in playoffs by October, NBA doesn't start till end of the month, the Chicago bears are away that weekend (gutted about that) and even the MLS team play away.  Only team at home are the ice hockey team on the sunday night.  I may be tempted........

Catch you all soon.

• Options

God I'm useless at trail races.  The mud fest was tough enough, the fact I am over 6 foot and have a turning circumference similar to the Ark Royal really didn't help and the fact I missed one solitary orange arrow and ended up running about 500m further than everyone else really put the tin lid on my night.  Thank god marathons are normally on Mr Macadam's finest invention!!!!

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Well done on a cracking time at Hamburg C33. One that i can only dream of running, although am trying hard!!! Was thinking the same thing about wacthing some sport in Chicago. Shame about the bears since i really want to go to an american football game somewhere. Interesting about the ice hockey though, will have to check that out and see where it is.

And trail races will make you stronger, the uneven ground help all your muscles and then of course time doesn't really matter!!! I enjoy running trails every so often, the mind doesn't mind what pace you are running, plus of course much nicer countryside to look at.

But the one upside to running trail marathons are the amazing food stops. One i did last year had cider at 20 miles and the beachy head marathon this year, it is rumoured to have tea and buns near the end. Yummy, cant wait!!

Just waiting for it to stop raining before i venture out today....

• Options

Tried to have a few miles today after last nights entertainment.  God that felt like a mistake.  My calfs and thighs were tighter than a tight thing's tight bits.  Trainers are a total mess from last night.  I seem to remember them being silver and black and having red laces.  They aren't those colours now.  On the plus side I managed to avoid trench foot!!!!

Hope the rain stopped long enough for you to get out for a run Marty.  Not sure about this being fed as you run concept.  I have really week guts when I run and can't remember the last marathon where I didn't chunder midrace and that's just on water and energy drinks!!!!

Right time for footie and support Honduras the latest world nation to be twinned with Scotland.  I was quite disappointed by the game in midweek.  How much better would it be if Ecuador changed their their national anthem from this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcmr2EeWNGc

to this!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44t3xc_XDes&feature=kp

That would have set the tempo for the match image

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Loving those vidsimage.

I suspect going out for a little trot will have loosened your legs a bit and you will feel a whole lot better next time you go out. I know i do after a tough session. Thankfully the sun came out later in the day so was able to take advantage and do some quicker miles.

Just had email from Chicago people about seeding. Have just sent my request in for a corral B seeding. Have to keep my eyes peeled on the athlete centre on the chicago website during august to check its worked.

• Options
    I take it they will use my qualifying time if i was a time qualifier. Maybe I'm giving credit where it is not due image
  • Options

Right that's the last nights entertainment sorted.  Ice hockey ticket bought for the United Centre on the Wednesday night after the race.  I don't fly home until the Thursday.  Holiday feels a wee bit closer now.  If only I could get some time off work to get some training in....... image

• Options

I'm back, glad to see the thread is still alive

Started my 18 week P&F plan the other week but my Bullock Smithy reccing is getting in the way of my flat long runs, it's all hills in the Peak District

Ran the Yorkshire 3 Peaks last weekend, fantastic event.

Got my first 14 mile tempo run on Wednesday so that should give me an idea of where I am fitness wise

Best of luck with your training

• Options
    Well another 6 day week with next to no time to run has been and gone. Managed 5 miles at 10 o'clock on tuesday (thank god for daylight until 11 o'clock at the moment), 12 on thursday night ( didn't mean to go that far but at the point i was planning a handbreak u turn i ran into someone i worked with and thought it would look antisocial to turn round 10 yards short or weird to turn round 10 yards after her and her doag). Ended up going all the way to castle and 2 miles further. That didn't really help 16 hot, hilly and breezy miles. I'm getting slower by the week!!!

Hope your training is all going better image
  • Options
    Yawn!!!!!!

I am absolutely knackered and my running is getting worse by the run. Contemplating a long run after an 8 hour shift tomorrow as that would allow me to spend the majority of sunday's 24 hours horizontal!!!!
  • Options
    I'm on runners world. There must a vast empty space in my life that has emerged since the end of the world cup. I might get an early night some day soon!!!
  • Options
    Dundee half marathon this sunday. Should be nothing like chicago. Can't believe this will be the 10th time I have run this race A it seems to be a surprise that i have been running it for so long and B its really not worth running that much its a pretty rank race!!!
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Good luck with that tomorrow. Should be a good indicator of where you are at for Chicago. I have a slightly smaller race than you, a 5 miler, so looking for a bit of speed work. Hopefull my legs will play ball in the morning. Just been out for a lovely 2 hour jog and luckily avoided all rain. Still bloomin humid mind you. Its raining now though and looks set in for the rest of the day.

• Options
    Indicator result....... Miles off it. 1:35 which was 9 mins slower than last year. Hope you had a better race than I did marty!!!
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

At least there is still time for an improvement though. And what was the weather like, hot and humid? since that will add a few minutes here and there. Still sounds like a solid time to me though...And you probably didn't taper either?

As for my 5 mile race. Well was 5.8 in the end due to an accident on the course prior to the start. It was quickly re-routed and we were told it was about 5 miles (ish!!). First race i have ever run where i had no clue as to where the finish was!! Pushed soon after 4 miles to try and catch a guy in front thinking the finish was soon only to discover it was a bout 1.5 miles away!! Oh well. Finish time was 37.01 for 4th place and 3rd senior male. Sitting here pleasently chuffedimage

• Options

Well hello there folks.  How's training/racing going for you all.  I think I can see a carrot at the end of the tunnel as Stuart Pearce so brilliantly said a few years back.  The end of the summer hols are just a week or so away.  I am only working 5 1/2 days this week, 5 next and 4 the week after.  I might actually get some time to get some proper training in!!!!!!! image

Just about cobbled together 40ish miles last week although half of them were on the dreadmill on Saturday night.  If anybody was watching the commonwealth games on Saturday night and sunday they probably know that the weather wasn't overly conducive to long runs outdoors.  It was a bit damp. image

• Options
    Evening all. I thought I would get involved in one of them forum things. And what better place to start, a thread on my 1st marathon on US soil. Never been to America so can't wait and the weeks are flying by. How do you deal with the time difference and jet lag before the race or do you just keep your body on UK time?
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Jonathan - I'm not running Chicago this year, but ran it in 2012 and have done Disney Florida a couple of times too. The time difference isn't an issue. If anything travelling from the UK over is an advantage as the early rise for the marathons is closer to your normal UK morning time. As long as pre-race you keep on early-ish nights and early rises you'll be grand.

You'll love Chicago. It's a fantastic city and a good event.

• Options
    Hello you two nice of you to join us image

I will second that. You will be a bit jet lagged when you get there. Hang in until 9ish at night and you will wake up bright and early. You will then be ready to roll on race day. After a marathon I'm normally so knackered i need a wee snooze mid afternoon. By the time i wake up i'm on yankeedoodle time for the rest of my hols!!!!
  • Options

Thanks for the advice both of you, I can't wait now.  How's the training going?  Eggh73 - do you have an autumn marathon lined up?

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Johnathan - I'm running Loch Ness this year. Not quite as fancy as Chicago! I've ran most of my marathons abroad, so running one in my home country is fairly novel for me.

Have an Italian beef sandwich for me in Chicago. They're sloppy awesomeness.

• Options

Hello again folks,

Traininging going OKish.  Been lacking pace all year but have ran a couple of good marathons which has been the exact opposite of past years where I have ran a lot of good halfs and 10k races only to make a total arse of the big one.  Maybe the pace is starting to go a bit and time is catching up on me.  Got up and beyond 40 miles last week and I'm sitting on 23 1/2 this week so far with a long run to come probably tomorrow night so I should get up near or just above 40 miles this week.  That is about as far as I ever get enough time or energy wise to run in a week so training I suppose is going to plan.

I've never done Loch Ness.  I probably should have done it but I've never been that fussed to go.  Inverness isn't exactly my favourite place.  I have got it in my mind that I really should run the Dundee marathon next year as it is my home town and I think I should run it some time having run all round the world.  Unfortunately it looks awful and I can't really be arsed!!!!!

• Options
    How did you all enjoy your hurricane down south? Did it make for a nice long run today? On a more serious note i hope none of you have been flooded. 20 tired and slow miles. First 10 into the wind and struggled to find any bounce on way back. Good job it was down wind to get home!!!!!
  • Options
    Bekele's running Chicago!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

http://assets.chicagomarathon.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/PressRelease_08122014.pdf

Just as another wee aside for any of you that like your sport. The Chicago Bulls are playing a pre-season friendly at the United Centre on the Monday night after the marathon.  I don't think the tickets are on sale yet but its worth a wee look if you fancy seeing a wee bit of sport whilst you are there.  I know the Bulls are not as good as they were when they had Jordan and Pippen but its still the Bulls and I don't think I will be able to resist going to see them!!!!!

• Options
    Oucho!!!!! Very windy so had loooooong run on dreadmill today. Had to press the slow down button a few times image

Got my chicago bulls ticket for monday night game. 28$ including booking and e-ticket fee. Could be a bit cheaper if there are a few of you going from vivid seats. Wonder if michael jordan fancies making a comeback image