Options

10+10=20?

I have a marathon in a month and for past few days am nursing what I think may be shin splints. I have taken 2-3 days off but need to get going again. My 36km LR is behind me but was supposed to do 30 today (and opted not to). Anyway, in an attempt to maintain weekly volume I am wondering if splitting workouts to morning/evening sessions will have (almost) the same effect. For example if I wanted to run 20, then 10 morning 10 evening. Granted it is not the same in terms of endurance but if at this point my overall goal is to maintain 80km/week without possibly aggravating leg situation with a LR, will that do the trick. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

To cut a long story short, no. I think doubles would be the very worst thing you could do.  Your shins hurt because you have overloaded them. They won't be better after three days, and to then go and overload them twice a day is not going to make them better any time soon

You're nearly there, if you had to rest for a week or ten days now and then ease into your taper you can still run reasonably well assuming you have haad a good campaign. But if you aggravate your injury you will be at best in serious pain at worst you won't be able to run.

lastly go and see a physio, good massage, stretching advice from a professional, and reassurance that you aren't broken will restore your confidence. And if you really have a race-threatening injury, then do as they tell you And run again another day.

• Options

^Agree^

and 10+10 does not equal 20 in terms of splitting long runs. 

• Options
    Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Your goal of maintaining 80 km/week should be thrown out the window. The goal now should be to turn up to the race fit and healthy. Fixing the cause of the problem, and mixing in some non impact exercise to maintain fitness would be my starting point.