Options

St Oswalds Ultra

Hi there

I couldn't see a thread on this new ultra for 2014. It's going to be my 2nd ultra of the year (The Wall is the first) and will be my first 100ker. 

Looks amazing so I thought I'd post here. Anyone else signed up for it?

http://stoswaldsultra.com

Comments

• Options

Hi Adrian

It is on my list for next year, I think it will be really nice, since I know the area. Are you doing the Wall as expert? Looking forward to hearing your stories after the run, because it will be good to hear about it before planning everything around it for next year image

• Options

Hey pal

The wall is over two days. At the time of signing up for it, I thought it would be the peak of my events this year. However after running some training runs over 30 miles I've found I'm pretty good at the longer stuff hence dinging up for the 100k. 

The run looks amazing! Training is going well, but I'll have to look into head torches at some point given the 100k is going to potentially take me into night time running....

• Options

Hiya. So you are not running the wall in 1 run but in the 2 day version? I think it will be so hard to start again the next day.... If I ever run that one I would opt for the 1 day version I guess/hope/think hahaha.

What is your time schedule on the run? I did not check starting times, but the days are still pretty long(ish) and I guess you won';t need lights? BTW I have a Petlz Tikka XP2 but there is a new Petzl that seems very good. Not the one with the  loose battery pack but the lighter one. I also hear good stories about blackdiamond and lenser I think there is a thread about it. But I would make sure if you really need it?

• Options
    Yep, two dayer. I signed up before running 30 plus miles. I kinda regret not going for the one day but, having run several back to back marathons I feel

pretty confident.

Also planning to spend the night with pals from the running club and the mrs so it should be canny enough.

The light is for the St Oswalds run. It kicks off at 7am and is a straight 18 hr run so will have some dark running. Never ran in the dark so will be all new!
  • Options

thinking about the 100 miler my 1st of that distanceimage

• Options

I considered the 100 miler as well. Think tony the fridge is running it. 

I tweeted the organisers way back and they assured me the course was fully marked and map skills weren't needed....

• Options

AB3 sounds good to me,havnt got a clue about compass and map readingimage

• Options

Well, the race looks great but I know the route. The first part along the sea is great but the organisers did not check the tide table obviously. |There is no way that you can run along the sea from Howick to Alnmouth. Furthermore there is nothing arranged yet for people wanting to park near the start and running the 50K or the 100K. Maybe it will be OK for the 100K runners to get back to the Island but for the 50K runners it is impossible.

I hope they will find out sooner than later ( I also mailed them) and that they figure something out for this (busses from the finish to the start in the morning would be best).

Hope it will be  great race, I will wait untill next year -)

• Options

I'm also considering this race -- 100K. Will be my first ultramarathon image

• Options
    Expectations are rising for this now! Had a amazing time at the wall, finishing in 12.30 and 12th postion overall. Learnt loads about ultra running and already feel better prepared for this one dayer. Already can't wait!!!
  • Options

I had attempted to complete the North Downsway 100 and only managed 80 miles, which involved getting lost four times (markings were not brilliant) and just before mile 70 I twisted my ankle and struggled for the remaining 10 miles in the pouring rainimage Fortunately the swelling has gone down now. It's my first DNFimage I was gutted which is why I have booked to do this 100 miler in the hope that I complete it within 35 hoursimage!!! Looks like an interesting course!!!!! Anyone else doing the 100 miler?

• Options
    Think a few have signed up - I'm sure the organisers tweeted something about that. Heard the NDW was tough as this year - no shame in getting to 80 miles. Also heard way markings were a little hard to follow at points. Hope this isn't the same for TP - I'm useless at following!

Speaking of which, Ive entered the Thames Path 100 so this is now my qualifying race. Pressure is on!!
  • Options

Hi

I would love to have done the Thames Path 100. Having spoken to other runners they have commented that the Thames Path and the South Downs were a lot better. All the best in qualifying. I'm all psyched up already for this 100 miler! It looks very picturesque and the start and finish location also seems like that it will be very memorable once completed! I'm determined to be one of them in September!!!!!!!

• Options
    I'm running it with two club pals and am mainly looking to have fun AND make sure we finish within the 100k time limit. Don't think I could run every ultra as quick as possible - good to chill sometimes and take it all in eh?

Good luck pal, maybe see you there.
  • Options

2 weeks to go then! Looks like my run will now be solo, one club pal has deferred and the other is considering it.

just wondering, anyone have any idea of the elevation on the 100k? I've tweeted the organisers who told me info is being sent out...

• Options

Does anyone know if the organizers will provide a bag transport from the start to the finishes of the three distances? The website only mentions dropbags for the 100k/100m events and I've contacted the organizers several times about this but never heard anything back. As I'm staying in a hotel in Berwick the night before it would be nice to at least have a change of clothes at the finish of the 50k before making the bus/train journey back.

• Options
    Not sure - does the race info email say anything?

Might be worth tweeting them - they've been really good responding to me and others...
  • Options

Doesn't say anything in the email and i've tried Twitter/Facebook/Email a few times...maybe I'll need to ring them

• Options
    Hmmmmm. They've always responded quickly to me?
  • Options

Well, this event has been and gone! For those interested I thought I'd post a link to my blog for my thoughts. 

Quick one worder : Spritual

http://tmblr.co/ZOpkJn1RPz-Qx

• Options

spritual?

What word is that?

• Options

It's spiritual after being automatically corrected by my iPad 

• Options

But yeah. Thanks for the spelling lesson. Did you read the report or run the Ultra?