Options

P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread 2014

Comments

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    No, 15w - he's not started a training plan yet but is about to do the one from the Chester website. He is a natural runner but doesn't understand that you can't just race all your training - despite me trying till I'm blue in the face to explain it... /frustration!
  • Options
    andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

Want me to have a word?

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Haha, andrews, that'd be great - look how much effect it had on Wentyimage

• Options
    MileMarkerMileMarker ✭✭✭

Impressive control there Andrews 'the P&D Enforcer' not to race and bag a decent mp run instead.

Nice cycle ride Scott.

Rhubarb Crumble the food of champions 15W!

Menn- nothing like a bit of Springsteen to get the mm pace down!

Madbee I wouldn't say anything and then just give him the smug 'I told you so' look when he does get injured.

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    Madbee wrote (see)

How stupid does it sound to do two 'races' in a weekend..?  I'm booked in for the Northumberland Coastal Run (which I have no intention of racing - it is 14 miles and picturesque and partly trail - I just want to enjoy it!), but there is a half marathon the day before which I also quite fancy doing - again, I probably wouldn't really race it as it doesn't look particularly PB friendly.  Both are a good long way out from Chester, it's about week 2 or 3 of the training plan, and I'm wondering if it would be good to have some back to back MLRs (possibly with a bit of marathon pace thrown in for fun).  I know it's nothing like the plan, but does it sound suicidal? 

Hehe don't worry I'm as stupid. Signed up for a 50m ultra, then somehow agreed to race a marathon the week after image 

• Options
    A weekend of two halves to borrow football parlance. Sat morning i ran the local parkrun. Not having broken 20 mins for about 4 years that was one of my summer targets. Only went and smashed it........... 19:59 image

It probably wasn't the best prep for this mornings St Albans half, neither was staying up until 1am watching England. Any decent preparation i did have quickly melted under the Sun so I decided to run by feel and settled for around 2 mins slower than last year coming in at 1:38. Ah, well good prep for the of next weeks 18 week campaign.
  • Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Still sounds good to me Macca.  Better not to push too hard and to recover quicker, especially before plunging into a marathon campaign.  Well done on the parkrun sub 20 (I dream of such a time... one day...)

BT, there's a touch of the Steve Way about that planimage  When is The Wall?  Must be soon now.  If you need any extra support on the day let me know - I live fairly close-by and wouldn't mind a sneak preview, it's one I am secretly considering for next year image

I've gone for it with the two-race weekend.  Will MP the first as suggested, and probably see if anyone from my club wants pacing round the coastal run - that way I won't be tempted to push it too hard but will still feel I'm doing something useful!  Not much looking forward to Blaydon tonight after Saturday's parkfail, but maybe the Scotswood Road will provide a bit of inspiration image

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Madbee: just under two weeks image 7 AM Sat 21st at Carlisle Castle.  Then just plodding along. First week of taper last week, did 36 miles running, plus 12 miles walking. This week i'm thinking around 25m and next week maybe 2 x 4 mile jogs.

I'm sulking as my shiny all singing, all dancing Garmin 620 is no bloody use, as the meanies at Garmin have configured it so it cannot be charged whilst running.  So i'm just going to use it as a walk / run alarm (bloody expensive for that) and just have to occasionally look at iphone if I want to see how far i've gone.  In some respects that might be good, as I won't be always glancing thinking how bloody far do i still have to go!  But, it means I've no real idea of my pace as I go, so i'm bound to start out way to fast image So nearly tempted to panic buy a garmin 310xt just for the 4 days a year when my watch doesn't last long enough. But I just have to woman up and cope image

I could use it, and have it run out just around half way, or use it as a full gps watch until the first checkpoint after 15 miles, and then just use as a walk / run beep after that, or even use it, and stop every other checkpoint for an hour and a half to recharge it, but that's a bit unsporting image Actually, bloody tempted to use it as full watch until the first checkpoint at 15M as I should be in a decent rhythm by then, and it will help to stop me going off to quick.

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Anyone you could borrow a standard garmin off to do the next bit?  You could swap them over and get someone to charge the first and bring it along to the next checkpoint, or is that not allowed?

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Macca - well done on the park run PB and still managing a decent half the next day. Good stuff.

18 week plan for York Marathon starts today. I am doing the 70-85 schedule except will not be running the day after the long run, and some of the recovery runs will be shorter and one day will be a double - and actual weekly mileage is closer to the 55-70 plan. My longs runs currently are on Saturday's...so that means I have a 9/4mi LT run home from work today.

BT you crazy woman. Ever planning on doing Comrades?

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

15W: Thought about it, but no, the cost of it all just doesn't interest me.  For that amount of money I could do something very special in the UK.  If i'm going to go abroad for a ultra, for me it needs to be a long one.  The only one that i've been really interested in is the ocean floor race.  160 or 200 miles across the Egyptian desert. At about £1000 plus flights seemed fun. 56miles surrounded by thousands of other runners... i'd rather do London Marathon image

There is a group that run the course VLM in the morning in reverse I think from end to start? Then some of them do the normal version so they are running 52 image that might be silly fun.

• Options
    Madbee wrote (see)
    Mr Mad is turning into Wenty. He just randomly decided to go for a 20 mile run when the furthest he's ever been (about 5 weeks ago) is 16. Did it too fast as well. He is being an idiot but doesn't believe me when I suggest it might result in injury...

The force is strong in Mr Mad - the boy did good!

• Options

Maccatheknacca: great work on the sub 20 park run image and great half the next day too in what must have been tough conditions with the heat

BT: is there online tracking for The Wall do you know?

Just under 11 miles this morning at GA pace, tested out a new route which was good if not very undulating. Only a week now till the plan starts

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Scott: No online tracking. If the battery will last the irony is I might just stick my iphone on, and that has live tracking can throw it in a rucksack plugged into an external battery. haha. £320 on a watch and have to use my phone... I don't sound bitter do i image

• Options
    andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

Today was my first go at running on a P&D Monday. The plan stipulated 6mi recovery and, although I felt quite stiff at the start, I now feel better for it.

I'm going to stick with forgoing the rest day (as per the plan) for now. 

• Options
    andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

Wenty, I'll try to get your VMLM medal off to you today.

• Options

BT: thats life for you isn't it, the cheaper things often end up being the one you have to turn too and are better.

• Options

Andrews - impressed at your self restraint at not racing it (although the pace you ran is still racing for me).

no running for me for 4 days now.... other things keep getting in the way (like family and work etc)

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

You need to bin them Wenty. That's what I did, and that's what P&D suggests on p38.

• Options

Hmm the thought had crossed my mind Westy!

• Options
    S3200HS3200H ✭✭✭
  • Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

No works with other garmin watches, i've got two different USB chargers, but the damn 620 saves the track and resets when you Put it on charge, so if you leave it charging n working it just saves lots of little runs Of 10m 

• Options
    S3200HS3200H ✭✭✭

wonder why they have done that,   2 choices then Fenix 2 or run a lot faster image

saw your post re Fenix 2 and I am trying to justify buying it to myself  

I have had a forerunner 305 sine 2009, still works perfect and it is a great watch.  however when my wife asks what I want for Christmas, I think I will know what to say.   

• Options

how long does your 610 last BT on one charge

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Nice to have you back Debutant. Funnily enough I was only thinking of you the other day. 

LFR – regarding you Ultra – what Booky says.  But I also think if it’s a true off-roader it’s imperative that you can use a compass. I’m assuming it’s a fell multi-stage event with checkpoints. I always write down bearings from check point to check point in advance (from your map) and when you reach X checkpoint, set your compass so you can follow that bearing. Even if you’ve reccied it and have a vague route to follow, having the compass bearing is important. If the race is held under FRA rules, you’ll not be allowed to race unless you can demonstrate you have good navigational skills.  If visibility is reduced, you’re jiggered without them. If this is a trail race just ignore everything I’ve said and follow your nose!! imageimage 

In other news – a two whole miles for me yesterday! Hamstring felt OK, but I was blummin knackered! Mind you, TT has just finished here, so I’ve been sampling far too much junk food and alcoholic drink this last fortnight. Physio tonight – I’m hoping she’ll say it’s OK to run a bit further.

• Options

Thanks for the advice Shazmo - I don't think it's an FRA race - it follows an established off road route round Derby and includes existing paths, towpaths, some road etc. 

That's interesting what you said about demonstrating navigation skills - I emailed them about my lack of them on Saturday and haven't heard back.  Perhaps they're reconsidering my entry....eeek!

Re the Forerunner 305 - can you input your route into that and follow it that way? There's a few under a ton on 't ebay. 

Good work on the 2 miles & hope you get a juicy thumbs up from physio - how was the TT? We watched Closer to The Edge a few weeks ago - powerful stuff. 

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

S3200H

The fenix2 looks interesting, but there does seem to be a bit of an issue it's only got a 500mnh battery in it, whereas the 910xt has about  a 700mnh now it's a lower power GPS unit etc... but people are saying on 1 second recording your only going to get 10 hours out of the fenix2,  but it seems there are other sensible modes you csn put it in when in runmode.  It' almost the ultramode that seems to be a weird mode, that might last for ages, the claimed 50 hours, but seems a bit iffy.  So Not sure...... I really do want one as a day to day watch but the more i think about it the more i'm thinking secondhand 910xt or new 310xt at only £120 on amazon.

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

wenty: my 620 lasts around 7 hours i'd say.  so can get me to the 32mile pit stop, but then i'd have to wait for an hour and a half to fully charge it image I can turn GPS off then it will easily do the course, and of course as it's got a built in cadence sensor it will actually guess how far i've gone... but it will me miles out, but hey it's something ;0 I need to just write down how far each pit stop is so i can work out my speed from them and maybe have GPS turned on until the first checkpoint. As that's 15 miles, so if I can't do it after a nice 15m warm up then serves me right image

• Options

or you could do races that takes less than 7 hours image simples

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

wenty(insertturtlebreedhere): indeed simples imageimageimage