Options

P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread 2014

Comments

• Options

I dont know if it was easy but it felt easy. I forgot my garmin today, which is why it may have been easier. or it might be that it was nice cool running weather. Didn't even think "why the hell am i doing this - I just dont need it!!!"

• Options

The England game on Saturday made sure I was in no state on Sunday to attempt 13 miles with 8 at MP.

With time a limiting factor today, I've had to split it into 8 miles with 6 at MP and I'm going to do a 5/6 mile recovery run this evening. I may possibly chuck in a couple of miles at MP just so I've done 8 in total and for a bit of reassurance.

With 7 a-side football on Wednesday, I was already going to have to play around with my schedule a bit this week. I'm thinking recovery 5 miles tomorrow unless my legs are falling off, LT run Wednesday morning with football in the evening, GA run on Friday and 14 miles on Sunday. This is all subject to my body not falling apart on me, which hopefully shouldn't be a problem.

• Options

Hmm sounds like footballmay be getting in the way a bit there Jon boy!

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Well done Wenty! Sounds like you almost enjoyed that run!

JB88 - LT in the morning with football in the evening??? Will you be playing in goal?

Did my first Hanson style tempo run this morning. Hanson tempos are at MP so nothing like the killer P&D LT runs. I used my predicted MP of 7:15 rather than my planned MP of 7:40 to make it a bit harder. 6 miles @ 7:15 as part of a 9 mile run felt very smooth - even enjoyable. Totally not like a P&D tempo!

• Options

Hmm - liking the sound of the Hanson malarky more and more. P&D LT runs were a killer. (but i do suspect they were the most important run of them all)........ but i will pretend i did not think that. image

• Options
    Yes wenty..just back..the probkem seems to be in the hips and groin..over compensatory injury and neglecting my statics and dynamics..

Lucky for me it aint serious..should be ready with 18/55 next week..now im away to use the foamroller and continue rehab..
  • Options

Ram - my thoughts are that if my legs are a bit fried, I can stand in the (imaginary) centre circle barking orders but not leaving it. I did the same session previously on a Tuesday evening with football the next day and didn't suffer too much.

Wenty - I can't deny that it's far from ideal, but I think 16 weeks out is probably a bit early to be dropping everything other than running. My biggest problem over the last 2 weeks has been my diet, which has been atrocious with a holiday and wedding in that time.

Anyone use SIS products and can make a recommendation? I've just got £50 free and not sure what to spend it on.

• Options

sausageroll, hope you manage to rid yourself of that niggle!

Wenty: nice run sure the easier pace and lack of heat today both helped image

JonBoy88: your rescheduling sounds good, hoe it works out well

Ramjet: sounds a good session still

Nice start to the schedule today with a rest dayimage Dreading tomorrows 9 miles with 4 at LT pace, legs still achey from yesterday :S 

• Options

Looking forward to seeing how Ramjet's Hansons plan goes. i'm alwAys interested in new ideas.

Football's getting the way here too. Stayed up to watch the England match on Saturday only for the Kids to wake me up at 6am the next morning to wish me a Happy Fathers Day. Bless them! i ran the Fathers Day 5k that I do every year and I ran 2mins faster than last year. image I finished in 20th place image but given that a man dressed in full Haiwian garbo finished in the top 3, and a caveman overtook me on the home straight, I'm inclined to think it wasn't an overly serious event.

Im getting a race bike tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to mixing up the running with some cycling.

• Options

First day of my 18 week plan here too - a rest day.  I couldn't wait so brought tomorrow's 8 with 4 @ LT forward to today - it's good to be back in the P&D saddle.

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Hi *waves feebly*  I have read and noted some fabulous running, however I am busy just at the moment, dying with some killer plague.  Just attempted a short run, during which legs felt marvellous and I nearly disposed of a lung on the road.  Will not be trying that again for a day or two.  image

• Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Get well soon Madbee. I have tried running while chesty and it is a very weird sensation of your legs being fine and your organs not wanting to work. Not recommended!

JB88 - good luck with the football. They do say football is risky for runners but then again I have never gotten injured playing football.

NSGNR I like the sound of that 5K. Finding a costume you don't roast in is the challenge I guess.

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

Mental day in work today, thanks Menn for reminding me to enter for a VLM GFA place. I turned 11 miles into 9.5 earlier as my legs just felt like lead after the weekend's LSR with MP. I'll add it on to my LSR at the weekend to make up the miles. Promise.

Wenty, good to have you back in the game playa image

JonBoy88, I've had good success with SIS Rego (strawberry) for those post LT sessions and SIS Cola or Berry with caffeine is my go-to gel of choice. £50 free voucher says that you can't go wrong.

Ramjet, I'm liking your renegade style of training for your proposed pace on the MmmBop plan. Keep us updated.

Get well soon Madbee - you're racing the same day as me, so you're required by P&D law to suffer the same weeks as me image. How's Mr 'Bee getting on with training btw?

• Options

MM - cheers!

JB88 - I use the SIS gels and get on ok with the. try to see if they agree with you before buying too many?

Scott - You shouldn't worry to much about the pace tomorrow night as you already bagged a couple of speedy efforts over the wkd? Hoping it's cool again like tonight.

NSGNR - nice result on the 5k, enjoy the bike.

madbee - hoping for a swift recovery.

Supposed to have rest day but did Thursday's recovery run tonight. 5 @ 8:59. Cool, overcast and a breeze - my kind of running weather!

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Mmmbop plan image fergie you're a legend!

Thanks for the well wishes guys. At least I have an excuse for scoffing ice cream. Will be back on the suffering next week for sureimage
  • Options
    NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭

Hello all, 

I've got my P&D book. Counted out 18 weeks back from the Dublin marathon, and reckon I need to start next Monday.

Just ticking over with 20 miles a week at the moment. I'll not be able to stick perfectly to the plan, but will follow it as best I can.   I suspect that keeping up with the plan will be easier than keeping up with this thread though!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello NorthEnd. You following the up to 55 plan?

Morning all. Double day today. 4mi in this morning, 10mi home this afternoon. Another warm day, supposed to cool down the end of the week which will be nice for us runners.

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

NorthEnd, print out a dirty big A3 version of the plan, stick it in your kitchen and then there's no escape. Moo haa haaaaaaaaa image.

13 miles this evening for me - I'm hoping my legs will have recovered from their lead-like state from last night.

• Options

Northend, last year I was not quite up to following the plan to every run, so i concentrated on the importnat runs - LT, mid week medium runs and long runs and ditched some of the recovery runs.

(saying that I still am not up to doing all the runs so may do the same thing this year image)

Fergy  - why would your legs have recovered so quick? do you have some magic potion?

• Options

Macca: sure is good to get started again isnt it?

Madbee: hope your feeling better soon!

Good running from the rest of you image

First run of the plan this morning 9 miles with 4 at LT pace, pacing was all over the place (7:21, 6:39, 6:32 and 6:29) for the 4 LT miles so way too quick for the final 3 and the last 2 cool down miles were also low 7min miles...oops! It felt slow :S 

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

Wenty, I don't have the magic potion unfortunately. I knew I wasn't going to have an easy run last night by the time I had reached the end of my street. I'm nothing if not optimistic. Tonight will be a doddle image.

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Nice to see some decent stuff being started.

I , however want to chop my twatting legs off. For some reason, despite next to no running for the last 4 weeks, both are now cramping and spasming and busted. Getting proper sick of it now.

a 50% voucher for SIS products is proper good in my booksimage

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that Men. Hope you're up and running soon (but don't run till they're fully recovered).

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

Menn, funnily enough (actually there was nothing funny about it AT ALL), I noticed that my legs were starting to cramp at times as a result of my holiday-induced reduced mileage over the last few weeks. Also, my left knee started to get tweaky niggles at times. Since I've upped the mileage and started religiously eating my bananas again, both have disappeared.

Must start doing knee strengthening exercises this week.

• Options

Menn, I have had cramping and twinging, but i put mine down to creatine, which had this effect on me last time (I dont learn). Might be the heat as well. Hope all gets better soon.

I went for recovery run this morning but did a wenty and it turned into intervals as i got bored!

Ferster - best of luck tonight image

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

Scott, my first LT session last year was all over the place as well. You'll dial in the pace in a couple of weeks.

• Options

Scott, I was the same as Fergy as well, burt after a few weeks managed the pace. Still hard though. image

• Options
    andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

During today's 10 w/ 5 LT I found myself regretting Sunday's hills!

Killer.. but I managed 5:56 for the LT miles, so I'm happy with how it went.

• Options
    FergFerg ✭✭✭

That's a great session andrews148, sterling work sir.

• Options

I think the term 'doing a wenty' should be put into the dictionary.

Yeah sure after a few runs the pace will be much better judged.

Thats a fantastic session andrews148 image