Options

Multi Day Adventure Race for my 50'th ?

I'll be turning the big Five Oh this summer and wanted (amongst other things) to do a multi day adventure race to celebrate in the late summer.

I quite fancied the Rat Race Coast to Coast, which looks like a great event, but I've been looking into the logistics and reckon that the combination of flights (from Ireland), hotels, car rental etc etc will cost a fortune. The problem is that Inverness and Glen Coe are really difficult to get to for me.

Does anybody know of any alternatives that I could look at ? I'm looking for solo, unsupported, 2 or 3 day race preferably with kayak, run and bike and something around an Ironman distance (nothing too extreme please ! ) mostly off road. 

I've checked out Sleepmonsters and Might Contain Nuts and a few other webpages, but can't find anything suitable.

Comments

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

What exactly are you celebrating?

🙂

• Options
    RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

50'th birthday.

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

If you drive a Ferry and one or two nights in travel lodges isn't going to break the bank? 

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Haha, yeah I guess that's true. 

glares at iPad, hoping somehow it will magically accept responsibility for my defects. 

• Options
    RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭
    Fueled by Jelly babies wrote (see)

What about this:

http://www.gaelforceevents.com/west/

booktrunk wrote (see)

If you drive a Ferry and one or two nights in travel lodges isn't going to break the bank? 

FBJB

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm already looking to do this, and have done a few similar events, but was really looking for something more 'epic'.

booktrunk.

My rough pricing is Ferry €250, hotel (or B&B) rooms x3 €210, race entry £260, plus over €100+ diesel and something like a 12 - 15 hr trip each way, all of which means it'll be costing something like €1,000. Now I could justify it to myself (and more importantly maybe to the financial controller) but I just don't feel that I want to spend that much money on a single race, especially when there's a strong possibility the weather could be a nightmare (like day 2 of C2C was last year).

If I could find somewhere easier to get to in the UK or maybe even Europe (as I reckon I could get to Spain or France easier, quicker and cheaper) then it would be worth looking at. I was just wondering if there were any other races that I haven't seen, as most of the events on Sleepmonster etc are just too big ( teams of 4 or 5 and 6 or 7 days), and I'm not sure I'll be up for it. 

• Options

Open Adventure have a 4 day C2C adventure race which is open to solos, you do need to have a support crew though to transport your kayak/gear between transitions.  It's well organised and well priced.  Also there is a really active and tight knit community surrounding open adventure events, often if you say 'can anyone local be my support crew?' people will volunteer just to get involved.

• Options
    RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

Thanks ecoseal. I'll take a look at that.