Options

Family running

edited February 2017 in General running

Hi all, Please see the below from Adrian.

Have you run in the same race as your parents or your children did in the past but years apart?

If that sounds like you or someone you know, please do get in touch for a feature for RW we are currently working on.

Ideally I would like to speak to a runner who has recently run in say a 10k, half marathon or marathon that their mum or dad did in years gone by.

Or if years ago you ran in a race that your children have now done too, that would be equally good. We are looking for several case studies.

Maybe you both ran in the same race together this year even though you have both done it at different times in the past.

If so, please do get in touch. It would simply involve a phone interview with you and sort out some photos,. If you have pictures of you running the race in the past, that would be great.

I really look forward to hearing from you and so please email me Adrian Monti, a regular freelance writer with Runner’s World I am at

Comments

• Options
    PiersPiers ✭✭✭

Loads of running clubs have family members: dads, mums, daughters, sons running in the same race.

In fact I would imagine that a running club that didn't would be the exception.

• Options

Thanks Piers

But ideally we are looking for a mum/dad who ran a race say 20 or 30 years ago and their son/daughter ran that same race in more recent years. It would be great to find that type of scenario and then find a family where these two generations will now run it together after running it on their own in the past.Please do keep any suggestions coming!

• Options

As with Piers, lots of family members at our club.

Time for a quick bask in glory, We did win the team / corporate prize at a local 10km a couple of years back with 2 parents and 2 of the kids, and won 4 bottles of wine !

• Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

adrian,

Sounds like an interesting idea for an article, especially if you can find photos to compare.  I've not done the same course, so can't help... but just from comparing marathon experiences with an older brother is interesting - he ran some through the eighties. Be interesting to see what differences there were in training, equipment, water stations/on-course nutrition, support, attitude of family and friends... and of course,  how the "relative performance" compared  [pun intended!]  My brother insists that I need to beat him by 15 minutes to account for the time he had to wait to shuffle across the start line.  (he conveniently ignores the fact that he was in his twenties when he did his... and I'm in my fifties!

Of course, if you fly me out to New York and get me a place in the marathon in November, I can give you the direct comparison you need for your article.  I'll even write it for you if you like image

• Options

Hi Nose Nowt- if only the budget would stretch that far! But stories like that are great but the key is the same race. Thanks for your suggestion Dave too. But sure there are runners out there who have been inspired by their parents- don't be shy, please do give me a shout!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

My dad used to run the New Forest 10 every year back from the end of the 80s up to the mid 90s, whilst I and my brothers would run the kids' races.  It was for this reason that I went back to run the same race last year, whilst my parents came to watch and my son was entered for the children's mile race.  Unfortunately, my son selfishly refused to make this an ideal story, and threw a temper tantrum instead of running the race.

Not sure this is the stuff of a fascinating article though.  It needs some kind of heart-wrenching sob story in there.

• Options

Hi Dachs No, it sounds a lovely tale- please email me and I can give you a bit more info about the story. My email is adrian@montimedia.co.uk But please do keep them cming as the more stories the merrier! Adrian

• Options
    PiersPiers ✭✭✭

Come to the Overton 5 Race in September and there are loads of adults doing the race whose parents did it when they were kids, in fact some of the parents are still doing it. We have old photos but you'll have to come down to Hampshire,

I'm afraid I'm not going to do all the work for you image 

That's why you are paid!

• Options
    PiersPiers ✭✭✭

On another note the Overton 5 started as an invitation International race with separate men's and ladies races; we had entrants from all over the world with runners from the old Czechoslovakia taking two days to get to Overton. 

The club still has links with, the now, Czech Republic racing over there every other year.

The Overton 5 is still, virtually, the same course since its inception, through the heart of the village, but it's now one race for men and women, open to all and is the opener for the Hampshire Road Race League.

Could possibly be good for an article?

• Options
    I'm so glad we inspired our kids to not only race with us, but even form a team with us
  • Options

Hi Piers

Do yo you to email me at adrian@montimedia.co.uk and I can discuss this race further with you- it sounds an interesting event.

Yes, Dachs, it would be great to hear more from you and also please do email at the above address.

• Options
  • Options

I've completed 25 Reading half-marathons, with my first being in 1984.

My son completed his first Reading HM (his second ever HM) at this year's event.  I also took part as it was my 100th HM image

• Options

Ran in the same race as the missed.

Completely trounced her....

• Options

I love running with my dad in running event, Its not the same when I do a running event and he didn't. My dad and I always talk about it. My dad and I always pick on each other before the race and at the end. At dinner on the day of the event. We have started to try and bring my mum and my little brother to do the parkrun.

• Options

My dad ran alot of marathon's when i was growing up he did a few in stoke on trent area and the great north run a few times. I am currently trying too kick backside at work too get me a charity place for the gnr in september.

• Options
    Hi Adrian, my sister and I ran the Stroud Half Marathon together in Oct 2014. I paced her to a new PB... Both my mum and dad ran the race in the 1980's!!! My mum even managed to find her medal so we've got a great picture of us all holding our respective medals at the finish. I remember cheering both my parents on as they ran so had always wanted to do the race as it holds a special place in my heart. It was so brilliant being able to help my sister bag a new PB and as made all the more special knowing the race was becoming something of a family tradition.
  • Options
      Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire is proud to host their 8th annual 5 Km non-competitive, family oriented run or walk.   Please join us for an afternoon filled with lots of exciting activities (Horse riding, High Wire Adventure, Archery, Land Zorbs, Caricaturist, Soft play, Face painter, Falconry), great food (BBQ and Hog-roast) and a live 4-piece band.   Please visit our website: http://www.terryfox.org/InternationalRun/Hampshire_England.html
  • Options

My step-dad is a triathlete and my younger sister was a junior triathlete when she was younger too. Last year all 3 of us did a sprint Aquathlon in Shrewsbury. Mum was our official photographer. It was great having support, and competition from family members. I've run a couple of half marathons with my stepdad too.

This year, we enrolled my other half; he and my step-dad ran Brighton 10k while I ran the marathon. Another great weekend away.

www.sparunner.com

• Options
    kijankijan ✭✭

I mad a run with family once, and all in all it was great fun! Would do it again, although my family would need much more training, next time image