Options

Rest or recovery after LSR

I am in for FLM (my first marathon) and have decided to use a training programme from "the Competitive Runners handbook" by Bob Glover. It suggests a 3 mile recovery run the day after each weeks long slow run. Other plans I've read suggest a rest day to repair "micro muscle damage".
Any views on which is better?

Comments

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    I think it's really a matter of personal preference. There are runners who feel that their legs feel less stiff and recover faster if they do a gentle (and for it to work it MUST be gentle) recovery run the day after a long run. Other runners (myself included) prefer to take a rest day after the long run. I know that I'm not very good at running as slowly as I should on recovery days so I'd rather take a rest day than risk injury. I did originally start out by doing a short recovery run the day after the long run, but once the long runs start getting tough I know I'll actually benefit more from a complete rest day afterwards, so have adjusted the schedule accordingly.

If you do decide to run on the day after the long run, make sure it is truly a recovery run by taking it VERY easy (e.g. 2 mins per mile slower than marathon pace, or about 55-60% WHR).
  • Options
    Hi Stinkytrainers

I, like Minkin find it hard to run as slowly as I should on recovery runs so I either also take a rest day or do some cross training (swimming, stationary bike, weights).

My main reason for running is for health and fitness along with weight control so my cross training allows me to burn calories while giving my legs a chance to recover.

Seen as you are in training for FLM (respect) and should be in the early stages of your training plan, why not give both a try and see which works best. But do remember the rule of listening to your body as you have a lot of miles to log to get to the starting line.

Happy New Running Year and best wishes.

MK
  • Options
    I honestly think a rest is safer - if you've got any inklings of an overuse injury an easy run is not going to help it - if you are a high mileage runner and used to long runs then a recovery run may help your muscles recover and you'll probably get some training benefit out of it but for most of us I'd say rest.
  • Options
    It's a personal thing, whatever works best for you. I've run 24 marathons within last 4 years and have become a believer in "active" recovery.

Recovery starts IMMEDIATLY after doing a hard or LSD run - stretching, refueling, rehydrating etc, attending to any twinges and a good night's sleep. Around 20 hours or so after a hard or LSD run, unless any sign of injury, I'd be comfortable with a slow and easy 35 to 40 minute shuffle to loosen up and help rid muscles of any lactic residue putting in just enough effort to get warm but certainly not breathing hard or breaking sweat. Important to stretch just as much after a recovery run, refuel and hydrate etc as it is after a hard or LSD run.

I started training almost 4 years ago for my first ever marathon (London 2000) and didn't pay enough attention to proper recovery hence I got injured - very important to get to learn to listen to your body as there will be some days when absolute rest will be the right thing to do.

Good luck with your training.
  • Options
    I like to do 40min at half marathon pace the day after my LSR. I don't know why, but it feels like good running. I never run far from home so I can head back if I start to struggle or stiffen. I then rest or cross train the next day.
  • Options
    I tend to run the day after for the reasons Graham outlines.

Very important points he makes on the other aspects of recovery. Now all I need to do is do them myself:)
  • Options
    Agree with GDL - I prefer to do a slow recovery run; in fact I've read that lactate levels can be lowered further by active recovery (ie a SLOW run) than by doing nothing. (Plus counts in the all important weekly mile count.)
  • Options
    I too think that active recovery is better and running, being specific, is the best recovery of all. Just keep it slow, short and easy.

MK - good to see you again - you "disappeared" for a while.

Graham - Legs alive again? Dead legs is now Vet legs!! Are you up and runnign again? Do you want to get together for a run yet? Give me a call - we are moving in a few weeks so we should do it soon.
  • Options
    Hi Pantman

Good to be back. Father had open heart surgery just prior to Christmas so Running and Fourmimg took a bit of a bashing.

Only managed 40 miles for the whole of Dec :(
    Prior to that was up to around 40 miles a week.

Back in the groove now tho :)) but back to square one with my BT. Heart rate higher than normal now for same paces :( hope it settles back down soon

I see the BT has now progressed to LT :) for a lot of the peeps.

Do you find a difference between HR at different times of the day or is it just me? Over Christmas I done some running in the day time and found for the same pace my HR was harder to keep to 145, tho when I run at my normal time of 19:30 it's easier.

Happy New Year and Happy Running.

MK

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    If you do decide to run rather than rest as recovery, it's probably a good idea to wear a heart rate monitor to keep your heart rate down (60-65%)- this will ensure that you don't go too fast (most runners run far too fast and hard on their recovery days) and therefore do more harm than good.