Options

ATHROSCOPY AND RETURNING TO RUNNING

2»

Comments

• Options

Hi Peter and MM, thanks for keeping this thread going. I did my right kneee at endure 24 this year and believe I have a torn meniscus which is being MRI'ed next Monday.

Its positive seeing that running long is still possible once you've had repair work done, fair play!! I was, and still am, worried that i wont get it back properly!

Cheers + take care.

• Options

Hi Peter. My meniscus was ok but I have quite bad cartilage damage from a wonky knee cap movement  (not exactly the consultants words but hear enough ).   I'm preying I will be able to run again. Early days yet for me - goid luck with your knee issue. MM x 

• Options
    Good luck to. Berlin for me next week. Just going to go nice and easy
  • Options
    StuTStuT ✭✭✭

Yes this thread is a very good read and good luck to all healers. I went for an MRI scan on Monday on the left knee, after physio, muscle balance and gait checking it was felt a scan was needed.
    I play squash, no pain, I cycle, no pain, I run and the next day I have soreness within the medial side of the left knee. Very frustrating.
    I'm hoping something is found to be fair so I can satisfy my mind.
    Results should be availabe at my Docs next week. 

• Options
    Sounds like a medial meniscus tear. Don't run downhill or round sharp corners. My knee murdered after running round left hand bends
  • Options
    StuTStuT ✭✭✭

I'm thinking it could be that, I just really hope it can be fixed.

• Options
    Sit on a hard chair for five minutes then stand up and walk. If I did that my leg was so numb I couldn't even stand on my foot
  • Options

Hi StuT frustrating isn't it !! Hope the scan sheds some light on the problem and you are set on the road to recovery soon.  

Day 16  here. Went up and down four flights of stairs at work yesterday without much bother which is the first time sinice last October.  I  got carried away and went for a second lap  but the knee told me that it'd had enough for one day.     Have done two very short (5min) Static bike sessions but dudnt feel confident in pressing on further as it felt a bit twingy and unstable. MM 

• Options

just over 6 weeks post-op and went for my 1st run yesterday evening - knee felt fine and still fine this morning so well chuffed with that.  it was only a 20min run but it's start

seeing the surgeon for follow up next Tuesday and then I'm away for a month on holiday.....image

• Options

Hi FB nice to hear you are doing well. I'm just over 3 weeks post op now and pleased with the strength and flexibility  of the joint but its still quite puffy and aches if I do too much walking ie over an hour In one hit.  Was yours at a similar stage two weeks ago ? MM 

• Options

hi MM - yes, symptoms sound very much like mine but the swelling and stiffness are now much much less.  still there a little bit but nowhere near as much as a few weeks ago.

did over 30 miles on the bike yesterday including some testing climbs and no reaction from the knee.

happy days - I can look forward to my holiday now!  image

• Options

Thank you for replying FB. that was just what I wanted to hear image

• Options

saw my surgeon earlier for a check up and he's happy with things so has discharged me.  image

he did say I have signs of grade 2 osteoarthritis in that knee which would explain ongoing stiffness in it, but I have to learn to live with that.

so he's happy for me to carry on running but get back into easily and not go daft

• Options

Berlin Marathon done. Not my best time but happy to get round ok. Looking forward to 7 days of no training to give the knee a complete rest.

• Options

Fantastic well done Peter 

• Options

Four and a half    weeks. Went for my first test run/walk today. Covered 5 miles with no pain but it's a little swollen so leaving it a couple of days before I press on. 

• Options
    StuTStuT ✭✭✭

Well done to everyone on their recoveries and post op races.

I had the MRI results today, the scan had picked up very early signs of arthritis but the doc said that was normal for runners my age and it's not causing the problem.
    Scan also picked up a small tear on the medial meniscus, as I suspected. Doc referred me to a knee consultant and then for a knee arthroscopy to give it a 'quick wash out' as she put it.

I'm glad it picked something up.

• Options

Hope you get an appointment through nice and quickly StuT

• Options
    StuTStuT ✭✭✭

I've seen the knee consultant who confirmed a small tear on the medial meniscus but could not pin point the actual area of pain. Anyway he booked me in for an arthroscopy on Jan 23rd where he said he will have a look round all 3 compartments and trim and clean up any anomolies.

Here's hoping,

• Options

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. 

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Glad to see the knee authroscopies are working.

I had a hip authroscopy to repair and trim a labral tear. Although I was asleep for the op I also had a spinal block and I have no pain at all. Not sure if this is because of the block as I was certainly expecting pain. I was sent home with morphine and no weight bearing for 2 weeks until I see the physio.

Anyone else had hip?
  • Options

Hi

i tore my meniscus along the whole joint on 14 February, a and e said arthritis and send me home, physio diagnosed straight away, saw consultant 6 weeks later, diagnosed MRI , 6 weeks later back on surgeons list, 6 weeks later got a date late July, all the time cycling on a static bike to build quads and fitness, ran 6 weeks after , did all exercises , played hockey first October , still sore, needs the range of movement stretched. Third of meniscus removed.

feels great after warming up and exercise, hurts day after but careful recovery 

doctors advice was give up your to old, 51, consultant was rest, surgeon was great , physio was the best

• Options
    StuTStuT ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

Had my knee arthroscopy on Friday, surgeon smoothed down the small tear on the medial meniscus and trimmed a small flap created by the tear that would have been causing the pain. He said that now that is done the knee is in good condition so I'm very hopeful. I took the bandage off yesterday leaving the small dressings on. Initial swelling has subsided and I am getting some good movement back. No sport for 6 weeks and then a gentle return to running. All good and I'm more than pleased so far.