Options

Pirate DIY Half IM 2015

Comments

• Options
    Mrs SA wrote (see)

Fantastic weekend image    Is anyone missing a pirate water bottle?

Think it's one of ours.... Please put it in the kit bag for Outlaw. xx

• Options

My DIY Race Report hope it's okay

Build-Up

Saturday morning and feeling a little nervous but also excited as this is my first Pirate gathering other than the fantastic support at events.

I arrived at SAs house and note the pirate flag in the window and a few pirates getting bikes out. Almost instantly I'm greeted by a very cheery SA and then chat with 9Iron and feel a little more at easy in new surroundings.

After setting up my T2 things I faff about quite a bit which is usual practice for me when nervous and not quite taking in everything going on around me.

The weather conditions were not good and I was then warned by Blue Peter that the bike course would be exposed.

A short race briefing explains that we will cycle to the Leisure centre and T1 will be staged outside at the back with 9Iron taking any kit back to SA's house.

Swim

Due to the leisure centre mixed up I was in a lane with 6 other pirates (not too bad) and fearing the worst I think it made me swim much faster than ever.

Everyone was friendly and a quick tap and they let you by so it flowed pretty well in this lane. After 1900m I got out and too my surprise I was one of the last people in T1. I found out later most Pirates just cannot count, so they just swim a set amount time!

TOP-TIP - Please don't try this at an event or you might still be in the middle of a lake!

• Options

Bike

The DIY bike loop which by the end of the day had many new names which probably should be kept between us for fear of upsetting someone no names mentioned.

The Wind and rain which I'm told now is ordered in specially for this event came in force. T1 I put on a technical shirt and jacket but was still very cold, I realised at this point I had no overshoes and I'm awful for cold feet even on mild days let alone these conditions. MTFU - You always forget at least 1 thing thou don't you?

Out of T1 I got up some momentum but kept catching the marshals unaware so missed a few turnings and had to double back mostly my fault thou for not understanding left and right which is a good concept to grasp.

After this I got the structure of the bike loop and was really flying getting on the tri bars often and felt very strong. En-route I saw a few pirates and "Argghhhed" some and said Hello to others the first 2 loops felt tough but I was getting into the course and knew when to attack and when to back-off.

The first 24 miles 5 loops I feel super strong but then my left shoulder started to tense. I stuck in for another 2 loops but had to stop after this I struggled big time I wasn't on the tri-bars as often and found every hill that little bit harder, some of this was my own fault for mashing in the big cog the whole time especially with tired legs from London 6 day earlier.

With just 5 laps to go it was getting easier to focus as I was counting down instead of up however the wind was picking up and seemed to be at the worst places on the course.

As half bike courses go I must admit this was tough you just never got any let up 1 mile fast, 1 mile slow and repeat. The stats say 2500-3000ft but I've done courses with 4000ft which feel easier, That Silent Assassin has a lot to answer for!

The bike report would not be complete without a mention for the fantastic bike feed station lot's of abuse shouted each laps with a big shout of CHIPS from SA, Jordy was in top form cheering everyone and high fives going round. All in all some great support especially towards the back laps when getting tired.

Note: Special Needs bag for Ironman UK should have at least 1 Chip Butty!

• Options

... In case your not already bored

Run

Not much to say got into T2 and was offered a hot drink which was nice (Thanks Mrs SA) the run was well signposted but as usual for me if it is possible to get lost I will find a way but managed to realise my mistake.

Highlight of the run was the bike feed station with SA giving MandM grief for his running style.

I called it short after 1 lap Achilles was tight and don't want to risk it too soon.

I stayed around to cheer the other runners in Seren, BattyH, LittlePhyliss, CanIRunYet and chatted with more Pirates Cake, Super Caz, Red Stripe.

Pub

Saturday night in the pub was great to chat with so many pirates many of whom I've only chatted with on this forum. All in all a great weekend both from a training and social perspective. I really like how relaxed the whole thing is in terms of people getting out of the weekend what they want and what is important and relevant to their training.

A big thanks to SA and family and everyone who organised this fantastic pirate event, long may it continue. Great Shirts from Little Clown.

Happy to help in future if I can.

• Options

Nice one UW, and thanks for putting my Pirate Buff on my bike for me. I would have looked even more of a numpty swimming in a buff (not the buff). And sorry I had you confused when I went to the wrong bike in T1. image

• Options

No worries Hofmeister thou it was amusing you went straight to another bike and I was looking very perplexed! 

• Options

I'd like to say it's unusual UW but unfortunately it's very typical me in transition.

• Options

if anyone has any decent pics of me and the group pic from Saturday can you pm me and I'll give my email address to send to, would like add to my blog, Cheers folksimage

• Options
    Great Report Mixed Grill. Looking forward to seeing you and DB at the Outlaw. Maybe save the drinking til after the race this time though. image
  • Options
    Mixed Grill wrote (see)
    not to mention the fact that my lady lumps were hanging out when I got out of the pool.  

Thats why we need a photographer by poolside

• Options

Great reports, everyone - here's my little contribution

No triathlons for me this year, or running either, for that matter, but I got a pass for the weekend, so I couldn't wait to get myself over to Chiltern Avenue to top up my pirateness.

I wasn't disappointed - I arrived in the pub and straight into the arms of SA - best hugger on board ship, I say! So good to see everyone ... made me feel all warm and mushy inside image

No swim for me - I think I've forgotten how to do it ... so straight out onto the bike, into the wind and the rain ... with Red Stripe at first and then on my own, true TT style. I loved it - the feed station was ace, but I also liked the bend when the headwind bit hard as soon as you headed downhill - it was brutal, but fab, in a sick sort of way. I got colder and colder and my mph started dropping towards the end, but I was very happy to be peeling off to T2 after lap 12.

Run - well I'll called this the 'Go' - as in Elliptigo ... I was glad I bothered to squeeze this into the car, because I loved doing my 4 laps of the run route on this. I felt I was earning my Millionaire Shortcake sundae and my hot chocolate later on. I was tired and cold, but very happy, swishing along on my cross-trainer on wheels. Of course its cheating, because I did my 4 laps in just over an hour, but it was the extra 500 calories I needed for that pudding at the pub later 

This event is just ace - thanks to SA, Mrs SA, Little Clown, Jordy and everyone, old and new (I'm sounding like an Oscar winner now) - I had such a boost seeing folk again ... just what the doctor ordered ... image

• Options
    Mrs SAMrs SA ✭✭✭

Great Report Britrisky image

• Options

brilliant results  image

• Options
    The Silent Assassin wrote (see)
    Another fantastic weekend of triathlon fun

Remember people, the only thing that we ask is that you do a race report

Race report will follow shortly, went from Macclesfield to Gower - no signal or internet. Then need with my sister in hospital with pneumonia pleurisy & chest infection.

Great weekend - thanks so much for organising Red Stripe aka ironBrew image

The tea breaks at lap 6,9 & 11 on bike were the best, plus the endless cup pas to warm up on Saturday were a lifesaver - cheers 

• Options

I am delighted to say that

Pirate DIY Half IM 2016 is going to happen

No dates as of yet as need to speak to swimming pool people first

The graphic designers at work are looking at a proper logo for us

• Options

Thanks for the fab support from you and yours yesterday, much appreciated.

Don't think I'm going long next year but might just have to try and make it to the DIY,  just because image

• Options

i'll be back for more teaimage

• Options

I'm putting this in my diary for next year wanted to do it so much this year, looking forward to spending time with mad pirates.

• Options

I am filling up my race calender quickly for next year.any dates yet SA

• Options

I'll be booking this in again, can't be missed, especially for anyone doing first time long distance attempts in 2016. 

• Options

I'm thinking of actually finishing the distance too. In which case SA you should be honoured. Get a blue plaque fitted to the house to commemorate the occasionimage

• Options
    Definitely in for next year, no races planned yet and I'm chomping at the bit!
  • Options

Its deffo on next year image   Meeting up with Blue Peter, Littleclown next week image  Keep you posted image

• Options

excited....... :0  image  image  image imageimageimageimageimageimage

• Options

Marshallini's back!  image image