My training is non existing at the moment and my fitness has desertet me

I have no motivation to train because of problems im going through

So i may have to cancel all of this years races

:o(

Comments

• Options
    what are the problems mate??
  • Options
    chin up - i was working away in germany and had flu then some upper respiratory illness for 6 weeks from november, kept training too soon and bringing it back - could only train again from boxing day.... felt shit, no fitness..... i'm 100% back after less than 2 weeks - ran 25 miles sunday no problem
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    WW-I'm sure you could get your fitness back quite quickly. Hang in there!
  • Options
    Your fitness hasn't deserted you - it's still there.

I took six months out after I smashed my knee up.

I felt like I was starting again, but the fitness was still there - three months back in training I ran a 15 mile mountain race, a year later I ran a marathon pb.

Accept that you'll have a couple of bad sessions when you're starting back, but enjoy the pain and the fact you're out there again...

Good luck

• Options
    I,ve been knocked out with the flu and had to rest for nearly two months with a chest infection. Have now run three times and been on the turbo trainer and feel better then ever. Sometimes a rest can do you good..
  • Options
    WW - hang in there. If you just keep up with some light maintenance training - you'll find your fitness is still there, and anyway - you're still about a hundred times faster at swimming than most of us here !
  • Options
    Will,
    don't make any decisions just yet... fitness will come back mate...

Take it easy...
  • Options
    see, its unanimous (and i've signed up with a new swim coach.... with that and your time off, I might have a chance of drafting off you in the sea at Florida now!)
  • Options
    WW, I really wouldn't give up on all yours plans and goals...I think that sticking to them will make you feel better. If you really feel like you can no longer do them all justice (which I doubt, you normally train at such a high level that I bet your fitness would come back quickly) - then maybe cut move a couple of them to 2005?

Don't give up your goals.

Good luck!

Nic x
  • Options
    will

train when you feel you are ready to start again. but don't make any decisions on races yet.

xxx
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    No.

no no no no no no no no no no

You musn't cancel.

no no no.

• Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    There. That's my reasoned, objective response to the thread.

:o)
  • Options
    Training can be boring - but races never are. Keep your options open. Sure - you might not be as fit or as fast as you like but who is ?

I bet Paula still thinks she could be better prepared for the Marathon.

(and good reasoning there Jj !)
  • Options
    I just spent three weeks off due to a chest infection and a bad knee which wouldnt quite go away, saw the Osteopath last week and im im easing myself back into training now.

When I had to cancel the last race I went to I was at an all time motivational low so I know how you feel. Im kinda hoping I can get back to the stage I was at in three weeks or so. A bit of positive thinking usually gets you back on track I find.
  • Options
    Will - don't worry about the racing. Don't cancel, in case you want to do them, but don't get stressed about your fitness. Sounds like the first thing you need now is to get rid of as many stressful things as you can, and there's no reason why you have to stress about running/tri. It's supposed to be fun, and if it doesn't feel like that, you can do without for a while.

If time off is what's needed, take it and don't worry. Your fitness will drop, but you'll get it back pretty quickly.

Do what you feel you want to do. Run if you want to. Race if you want to. Stay in if you want to. It's VERY important to remember to be nice to yourself!
  • Options
    Hear hear, Swerve.
  • Options
    Will

Keep it ticking over, you know the alternative will only make it feel worse. Fitness isn't permanent but it lasts a lot longer than some people would have you say - once you've had it it's easier to get it back. All the best.
  • Options
    WW,

Don't let things get on top of you. And as people have been saying, keep training - you know it makes sense!
  • Options
    Will. I know how you feel, I'm having a rough patch at the moment with niggling (self inflicted) injuries but trying to keep training through at a lower intensity than I would like, confident that I will turn the corner and there are good times ahead in the Summer.

I reckon at a push you could do an Ironman off the back of six months good training so you could do practically nothing between now and April and still train well for Florida.

If anything I would adjust your goals to be single minded about Florida in November. Forget TLD and just nurse yourself through the next two or three months ticking over by doing whatever doesn't hurt, even if its lots of walking or swimming.

Look forward to seeing you in your wetsuit in Miami.

On second thoughts, no I'm not, could be a scary sight.
  • Options

Will

I know that you're a little bigger than me, but if you come out with bollox like that again I'm gonna slap ya!!

• Options
    C'mon! hang in there.
    You've got plenty of time - I got fit for IM France in 2002 after a bout of Chicken Pox in March - race was in June - only had 9 weeks to train, and felt like giving up almost every day. My first run only lasted 15 mins - I couldn't go any farther.
    Stuck it out, and the finish was all the more satisfying.
    All the best.

Paul
  • Options
    Will,
    In 1991 I won my national Junior Tri title which gave me the chance to train full-time over the winter at La Santa.
    I got a coach who overtrained me VERY badly - screwed me up totally both physiologically and, as a result, mentally.
    I got to the point where I just quit and flew home early. I was finished - I was over for ever. I burnt all my training diaries.

A few months later I realised my mistake, but I could not bring back all those training logs (I've always regretted that). I got back into some training and tried to put together a season - first race was lousy, second a bit better, etc. I ended up holding a top ten place for much of the nationals that year (till I got my inner tube caught in my gears!!! and forgot to eat enough!).

My point is when you let everything get on top of you, you can lose perspective and that in turn can cause you to make mistakes - poor judgements. It sounds as if you are there currently.

You can get the training back - you can still race. For now just get out and put in some miles whenever you can until you regain your perspective. Take it easy, keep it short even - just try and enjoy it.
  • Options
    Will,
    Don't do it ! er what I mean is don't give up not don't do tris. It's good to let your body rest for a couple of weeks.
    Don't know about anyone else but I admit I do go through a phase at the begining of the year where I lack motivation etc. then I look at all those poor people down the gym with there new years resolutions to get fit..... bet they won't do a triathlon this year.
  • Options
    WW your names staying on the LD list. I`ve every confidence in you making the grade.
  • Options
    Will, don't give up! You know how much better you feel after exercise, even just a little bit. I'm stuck indoors with the 'flu at present and would love to be able to train. Just don't push yourself, swim or bike or run just for fun and don't stress out over it. I wouldn't cancel your race goals just yet either, as others have said, it's possible to do an IM off a lot less fitness than you may think. I chipped an ankle and tore the tendons in an accident in May and still did an IM the first week of July.
    Come on, chin up, get out there and have fun - you know you will.
  • Options
    If I ever get fitenough to do the LD, I'll buy yiu a drink afterwards
  • Options
    WildWill! Come on man, you can do it! It's all about finishing. We all looking forward for you race report.
  • Options
    Thanx for your support all

I'm trying some new anti-Ds and a bit of counciling and hoping to get back into training soon (I hope)
  • Options
    good on you WW

just echo what most peeps have said

- try not to put too much presuure onto yourself or try and throw everything into training as away of solving other problems -

train and race because it feels right or good and as you start to feel better you will feel like training again
  • Options
    Hi WW, long time, no speak.

Just to say sorry things are tough for you still; don't give up but train to feel good about yourself. If you miss a planned day, just write it off, it wasn't to be. Start each day afresh.

When I lack motivation I try not to think too much, just get changed and start running almost as if I need to disconnect my brain from my body if that makes sense. Body responds without fail, brain gradually gets into gear.

Sure you have plenty good racing & training in you for this year and the next. Best wishes to you.