Options

Chelmsford Park Marathon

Hi,

Very excited that there is a marathon in Chelmsford image yipee

Was wondering if anyone knew the route, does anyone have details?

Was also wondering about the terrain (what to train on and what shoes to wear), the website says it goes through parks, does anyone know if it will it be road or trail?

Looking forward to it whatever the route or terrain image

Thank you!

Charley

Comments

• Options

Hi Charley, I hope you'll find the route via this link from the race website:

http://www.chelmsfordmarathon.org.uk/course-map/

I think it's 2 laps of that, if you can work it out. See you there!

• Options

Hi Redheadedraver,

Thanks for the link. Looks interesting.

I used to live in Chelmsford so if my memory serves me well I think the only off road maybe in Highlands Park (otherwise known as V Festival Park). Though there are a lot of paved paths in the park so it may all be road/ path. The river at the start is certainly tarmac path. It's a scenic part of Chelmsford so should be a good route. Looking forward to it and see you there.

Charley image

• Options

What do you suppose 'occasional' translates to for water stations?

• Options

Dunno, but I do know they just mean water (and no goodies - bring your own gels and jelly babies)

• Options

Just done the big 20 miler (ouch). 3 weeks to go! image

• Options

Just had the race pack today. Not much just number and 2 page instructions and no map of the route.

As I live in Chelmsford and have run most of the route, it won't be straightforward. Basically a course starting in Central Park to Hylands Park, then back to Central, then to Hylands, then to Central and finish. Its mostly through parks except Writtle where I think you will run some roads.

The paths along the parks will be narrow especially in parts where you face runners coming from the opposite direction. Not to mention pedestrians, cyclists and dog walkers will be around the parks too.

To be honest its not the best route for a marathon especially in Chelmsford.

• Options
    I'm running in the Chelmsford Marathon too and I've just got the race pack. It says the use of headphones will result in disqualification! Is this normal? It's my first marathon but all other races I've taken part in, headphones have always been allowed. Any advice as I'm getting very worried!

Thanks
  • Options
    Yes Holly, pretty much.

Headphones mean you can't hear the marshals or other competitors, making you a bit of a hazard.

Without causing offence, if you want to run 26 miles with headphones on then you could do that on your own. If you can't run without music the. You have to think why you are running marathons.

Organised races have health and safety rules for a reason.

I use music when I train (swim/bike/run) but not when I'm racing.
  • Options

Depends on the headphones! I don't usually have any trouble hearing what's going on around me, while having some musical distraction from my aches and pains, not to mention a rhythm to follow when it's all going horribly wrong at mile 21image

• Options

Has anyone manage to decipher the new version of the map yet? All pray for SERIOUSLY good directions and marshalling!

http://www.chelmsfordmarathon.org.uk/course-map/

• Options

To be honest, when they announced the route, it was never going to be a straightforward one. Chelmsford is not ideal for a marathon. If you want to start and finish in the town centre, no way the route will be on roads. It will cause too much chaos.

According to the local newspaper, the organisers have said 60% will be run on roads and pavements (mostly pavements). 25% on "unmade roads and paths" and 15% on grass. I think the grass bit will be difficult because Chelmaford have had a lot of rain over the past few days.

They have 170 volunteers to marshal, hand out water, greet participants and man baggage and they are already planning for next year.

I think my concern is whether the route will be well marshalled especially the bits where you pass runners coming the opposite way together with the possibility there will be pedestrians and cyclists going through Central Park. Fingers cross it will go well.

• Options

Got a more accurate description of route. A multi-terrain course. Mainly flat with 3 minor hills x 2 laps.  Approx 9miles on parkland grass, 1mile on gravel paths, 3miles on road planing tracks, with the remaining 13 miles on tarmac roads and park paths, Course measured at 26.218 miles.

• Options
    9 miles on grass is a lot. Hope they've cut it short. All extra Beachy training
  • Options

Looking at the course map (if anyone can figure it out!), the grass area will be Hylands Park. I have run round this park many times and it not too difficult unless wet which it is right now. We had a lot of rain overnight and still raining right now. It has rained over the past few days too. So this maybe the most difficult part considering 1,800 running on grass. I will have a run around Hylands to see what its like.

• Options

Is there really 9 miles of grass? The website says only 15% on grass. Or is the 9 miles more likely to be country /trail paths? Either way, not looking particularly promising with all the rain forecast this week!

• Options

Forecast is saying dry and even some sun from Thursday. On the big day we are scheduled dry but cloudy. So with any luck the mud will have dried out a bit!

• Options

I have run round Hyland Park this morning to see what its like.

The good news is the gravel paths are OK with a few puddles and muddy patches here and there. The bad news is the grass areas are saturated with water, muddy in areas. The river which goes along the A414 has overflown and flooded that part. The grass hasn't been cut and is about 2-3 inches long. Anymore rain won't help and we need a nice hot spell to dry out the grass.

I emailed the organisers about this because unless they have a plan up their sleeves, all of us will be looking forward to some cross-country running this Sunday.

• Options

Hi all

I am helping out on one of the water points... there are 3 water points in total but I know you pass two of them twice.

Our water point will have bottles and cups, and bananas at 4.5ish and 17ish miles within Hylands Park.

Don't forget this is their first marathon so it's a learning curve for all, and they have said feedback will be great after the event.  The course map isn't great, I'm not even 100% exactly where we will be for our water point and I'm supposed to be informing our other volunteers!  Hopefully the marshalling will be good for you but please feed it all back afterwards image

Good luck all and I'll see you at the water point!

• Options

Save some bottles and bananas for the people at the back (that'll be me). I will do my best to wave cheerily image

• Options
    It should have been advertised as a trail marathon as is what the official course measurement states.
  • Options

Thanks for the feedback, lets hope it can dry out a bit by sunday. Any advice on footwear if it stays as it is?

• Options

I would stick to shoes that you been training with. You need a good pair which your feet are use to for 26.2 miles. Changing to different shoes even new ones can sometimes lead to sores, blisters which you don't want while running a marathon. IMO I cannot see anyone running on grass because of the water content. Certainly soaked my shoes yesterday.

At the mo its dry. But I can only see running the paths of Hylands Park. The grass areas will not dry out in time. I believe the organisers maybe planning to re-route away from the grass but at the moment there is no news.

• Options
    I've run Beachy Head marathon every year in road shoes, even at its muddiest in 2009
  • Options
    Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

Well its certainly not going to be perfect but lets just roll with it and see what happens. Its being put on (and we knew from the start) by the local hospice as a charity fundraiser so it may lack the big  event organisational experience of say a Brighton. But I am sure they will do their best and put on a great first event that hopefully will develop.

I had some concerns about teh route before I signed up so knew what I was letting myself in for with the twists, road crossing and switchbacks. The rain will make it more challenging - was going to throw my trainers out after Chicago last weekend but brought them home to wear one last time before binning them.

Good luck to all including the team who have put so much effort into making this happen.

• Options

Indeed, I agree with everything there Keith. Probably sounded a bit negative in my earlier post. I'm sure it will be a success, albeit with a few teething problems, and I'm thouroughly looking forward to it! 

• Options

So route been altered. 2 miles taken out of Hylands Park and replaced with added areas in Central and Admirals Park.

Had to be done but would rather went through Writtle village where some of the roads wouldn't needed to be closed off. Certainly would have made up the distance lost.

I don't know where round Central and Admirals we will be running. I know Admirals is OK with a slightly steep uphill. Parkruns go through these so wouldn't be a problem. As long as we don't get anymore rain because Chelmsford had way too much.

• Options

I'm struggling to get my head around the negativity by some about this event.  As Keith L said, let's roll with it.  Very few race directors get it right first time.  And some races/race directors are still learning and improving their events after decades.

• Options

The only negative is the weather. Parts of the route are near to rivers which can flood when we have too much rain. Sorry for the organisers because they put this on and the weather has been unkind to them.

The route is not perfect, but its a route. Though I cannot see they can change it next year because closing roads off will be costly and the local council might have their say too. They haven't been too supportive of the marathon which is a shame.

For a first time event, it will go successfully. It will be well organised. It will be a test for the organiser which they can improve the following year because they never organised a event of this scale so they done very well. 

The route is not too challenging bar some small-ish hills. All long, straight paths. Not bad running through the parks although might be a little boring. The highlights will be running through Writtle, Hylands Park and Hylands House. To me, its a route I can run easily.

• Options

As far as I'm concerned weather on the day is almost perfect (a bit hot) but sooo much better than last time (5 hour monsoon). And as I don't know Chelmsford at all, wherever they route it will be interesting. Looking forward to staggering round any bit of park they fancy!

imageimageimage