Options

Best first ultra event........

I like doing endurance events, and thinking I might like to try an ultra event next year.

Can anyone recommend a really good, 'beginner friendly' long distance event in the south of England please?

Comments

• Options

You are spoilt for good options, but first it might be useful to know what races you have done previously, and when you would like it to be. 

• Options

Good to know I'm spoilt for choice Ben.  Done a few marathons, including cross country reasonably hilly ones.  Done a couple of triathlons this year (Olympic and middle distance).  Would probably be looking to do the ultra around end September, October time next year.

• Options

The Stour Valley Path "SVP100"  is a worth considering in its 3rd year next August. It is 100km of scenic off-road route from Newmarket to Brantham.

It was well-organised, friendly, clearly marked route with excellent checkpoints/food/water stations.

• Options

I was thinking a little shorter for my first time ultra - around 50-60km - although I have a year to train for it.  Will take a look.  Thanks Ala1n.

• Options

would agree with Ala1n, the SVP100 is a fantastic race. There seemed to be quite a few peeps there this year doing it as their first ultra (was only my 3rd but found it easier than a 35 miler i'd done in june) - 100km is an achievable distance especially with a year to train - i'd definately go for this one (though if you do get your accomodation sorted out asap as things book up really fast round Newmarket way) 

• Options

The Weald Challenge is a great one to look at. A bit earlier (was May this year), but 50km so a good intro. Don't know how good your nav is, but it is incredibly well marked - I carried a map but didn't have to use it once. Really well organised and friendly.

Also worth having a look at the LDWA Challenge events - they welcome runners and are incredibly friendly and amazing value of money. You generally need to be able to follow a route description or map for these. Have a look at the LDWA website and you will be spoilt for choice!

• Options

If you want to start with something a bit shorter than the SVP 100, than the Ely Monster Racing Ultra might be worth considering.  It is about 45 miles across the fens, and has well stocked checkpoints. 

You might also consider the Stort 30, which is nice little able along the Stort Navigathion. 

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I can recommend as 'beginner friendly' events:

Marlborough Downs 33  usually in May

Any of the EnduranceLife coastal ultras, which are generally about 35 miles

• Options

The XNRG Extreme Energy events are incredibly beginner friendly.  In spite of the tough guy image given by their name it is a family run organisation that encourages everyone.  The check points stay open as long as there is anyone on the course.  There is transport from and to the nearest station included in the cost + baggage transfer for multi days.  There are several events through the year but you might like the Chiltern Challenge - 31 miles pick up point Princes Risborough - 11th July.  The Cotswold Challenge which is 57 miles over 2 days 12/13th September - you can pick a one day option.   Otherwise I would suggest you look at their website - sorry my linky thing has been broken for agesimage.

• Options

I'll second the SVP100, it was my first ultra (in fact my first race over 10km!) so it's definitely doable, especially with a year to prepare. Having run another shorter but hillier ultra this year it showed how me how good the SVP was in terms of checkpoints/food etc.

• Options
    I'm throwing Salisbury 54321 in the mix. Haven't done the 50k ultra but have done the marathon and absolutely enjoyed it. Its a trail marathon with great scenery and some road running thrown in. It's held in October so might fit in with you plans.
  • Options

If south also includes south wales area.then the likeys ultra in november is brilliant in the brecon beacons.........and the might contain nuts do a few different distances around the area.......

beautiful scenery and area.........( as long as its not pissing it down all day )image

• Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

South Downs Way SDW50 was my first Ultra. But I think it may have sold out - there is a waiting list. The same outfit also run a NDW50 on the, you've guessed it, North Downs Way. Very well organsied and increasingly popular.

Like you, I graduated from very challenging cross country marathons, so you should be fine with this distance - usual caveats apply.

• Options

i've just signed up for the Stort30 as my first ultra, done loads of half marathons this year, mostly trail, plus the farnham pilgrim marathon last month, wanted to end the year on a high - aiming for sub 4h30

• Options

Thank you.  Will take a look at all those mentioned above.

• Options

Did my 1st ultra yesterday the Downs Link Ultra- 38 miles from Guildford to Shoreham. Very friendly,but, think marathons are long enough for me in the future!!

• Options

Salisbury 54321 50km was my first ultra this year and was amziang, much preferred this to the London marathon, beautiful scenery and great runners, chatting as we ran and telling me their ultra stories, great stuff, highly recommend it!

SVP100 looks very good, maybe that my focus for next year, wanted a 50 mile ultra but could train for this, looks very good! 

• Options

Can I suggest the High Peak 40? It was my first Ultra. It is long and hilly so you will have to walk. It is longer than 30 miles, so you'll need to train differently - this will help you break away from Marathon Training. It is so far that you'll not feel guilty about walking and pacing early on.

It's really well marked and supported with CAKE! It's also in the beautiful Derbyshire countryside. What's not to love?

My review is here: http://www.freedomtorun.co.uk/blog/87-high-peak-40-a-chi-runner-s-review

• Options
    JimineyJiminey ✭✭✭

I too am looking at my first Ultra. I have previously run marathons one of which being the Neolithic Marathon. 

I am looking at The Ox (white star running) which is 35 miles and seems to fall on the May bank holiday and I can second The Salisbury 54321 I have done the 30k and aside from the lack of signage around the last bit in the city centre its a good set-up. 

• Options

Jiminey, so do you not consider the 50km salisbury an ultra?

• Options
    They did the 30 k didn't they
  • Options
    Ah my mistake! image
  • Options
    JimineyJiminey ✭✭✭

Sorry, yeah, I was just saying that the 53421 30k was a good one so the 50k probably will be aswell but I haven't ventured onto that distance yet.

• Options

Croydon 30 (miles) is a nice friendly little event, early July. Not quite so scenic as some of the others but Croydon is greener than you think!

• Options

Check out a few different ultras (32 mile, 50 mile etc) run in Kent at Marshside (by 'Challenge Hub').  They are run on a easy 6m loop, and have a great atmosphere.  The best one is the Moonlight Challenge in Feb , a 32 mile run at 6pm (so run in the dark) and it is magical.  I've done it for the last few years.