Options

Stops on runs

Hi I have now managed to build up to 12 miles of running again after spending most of this year recovering from posterior tibialis tendinitis. My question is am I being to hard on myself for not feeling I've completed the full run as I had to stop a few times to cross a few busy roads and for a loo stop? Just wanted people's views on this. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    I'd rather stop to cross a road rather than get run over.

Nothing wrong with the odd stop, as long as you are getting the miles in.
  • Options
    Hee. Yes it does sound quite ridiculous. Think sometimes other people's perspectives do set your mind back on track again.

Thanks and it's been a slow build up but I do a little victory dance in my mind every time I finish a run as I know how hard they are.
  • Options
    I've just come back from a 20 miler and probably stopped 4 times to cross a road, 2 toilet stops and once to get something out of my rucksack.

It's still a 20 miler.

If I think back then there is probably only 3 long (18+ Miles) runs that I have ever run without stopping for one reason or another.
  • Options
    Yup I hear you about the niggles. I just stretch and massage and strengthen a lot more now on the advice from my physio. I was up to 13 miles on my long run and maintained that for about 3 months before got the injury back at Xmas time. I'm no longer ignorant to listening to my body for any danger signs and mainly from feeling. I run every other day or two days. Never two days in row as I can't do that.

Good luck with your mileage!
  • Options
    Hi Millsy

Well done on the 20 miles and your post made me chuckle and equally comforting.
  • Options

I am terrible for this!  I stop to look at the view, pop into the shop to buy a drink, have 2-3 toilet stops, on one of my more recent 20 milers I stopped to pick and eat blackberries for a minute or two!  I think the only long run I've ever done without stopping is a marathon - I don't think it's had any ill effects as I'm still improving image

• Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Can't avoid the occasional stop for roads, rail crossings, all kinds of things. Stopped to pat a donkey yesterday. Not as essential.
  • Options
    I run with someone who stops her garmin if we walk across a road.

I don't bother - track the whole distance. (I'd forget to turn it back on)

Good work on the donkey patting JT ! Its usually cute lil doggies with me. I must search out a donkey.
  • Options

You need to do long runs in one piece really, to develop the mental toughness to just keep going. Having said that, there's no need to be superstitious about it, and sometimes breaking it into chunks helps you get round if you really need to get the distance under your belt.

I'm still feeling a bit weak after a cold a fortnight ago, but I really needed a three hour run for confidence purposes. June was the last 30 km/3 hr. So I ran 7 km while waiting for the GF to get ready, picked her up at home and ran 5 km together. Dropped her at home and went out again, taking it easy up to 3 hrs/28 km total. At that point I was home and had a bit of a drink and half an energy bar. Then I thought I might as well run the extra 2 km to make it 30.

A long run is still a long run even if it has short mental or even actual breaks. So long as you keep the breaks short enough so that there is no real recovery it can help you complete the goal.