Options

Edinburgh 2015

I got my VLM rejection magazine and in a moment of recklessness signed up for Edinburgh instead. Now I've read the reviews and I'm starting to think it's going to be terrible. Anyone done Edinburgh who can put in a good word for it?

Comments

• Options

I've done it three times (I think, maybe 4), it's fine, what bad things have you heard about it? The loos were a bit grim last year but that's true for most races, the support is good for most of the course, the route doesn't really take in Edinburgh but is pretty enough. The organisation itself seems pretty good, the pens at the start work well, I've never had a problem with water/tshirts/medals/etc. The only area I recall hearing people complain about is the coaches back at the end, I have never got one so can't really comment on that.

• Options

The race itself is fine, marshalling good, route is OK and pretty flat, they give bottles of water at the water stations and there are 2 gel stations (should have been 3 but I never found the last one).  Can be a bit windy as it goes along the estuary.

Its afterwards thats the problem.  A very long walk to the expensive buses (its cheaper and more convenient to use the normal ones, though not been from Edinburgh how would I know that), it was at least a couple of miles and no one to direct you except across the first road.  I know people who had to lie down on the way there.

The buses dumped you somewhere near the centre but there was no one to send you the correct way or ask directions (I walked off in the wrong direction for 15mins before I realised my error).

The bag pick up is as far away from the finish as it was possible to make it,  and they leave it out on the grass, which, as it pissed down meant that most peoples kit was soaked.

The goody bag was pretty uninspiring.

A lot of the late finishers got no finishers shirt as they had run out.

Apparently people were encroaching on the runners on the last bit on the road and were blocking some of the runners.

They wouldn't publish results except after a long period of complaining, it breaks IAAF rules not to do so.

The prizes for anyone except the first 3 male and female were not given out on the day, which was dissapointing as I was 2nd vet 50 and don't get that sort of opportunity often (ie ever).  The prize was pretty laughable too, a voucher for half the entry fee at a shop I will probably never be able to get to.

Oh yes and the buses to take supporters to the finish, which the runners run past at about half way, got them there after I had passed, over an hour and a half!

Sorry for the bad news, but it was a stinker and I would never do it again.

• Options
    I've just signed up for Edinburgh Marathon 2015 too. Also brought about by London rejection. I did Edinburgh in 2013. I found it okay. Lovely sunny day and not much breeze that year. Worst bit of course was sharp turn at water station at far end of course leading to a bit of a bottle neck and having to run on stoney ground through the farm. Feet were a bit tender for that at 18 miles.

Good support in most parts.

Funniest comment was describing the out and back as running to the arse-end of Longniddry.

Agree with the transport comments. It was a trek to the Wallyford park and ride from the finish. Bus took ages to get back to centre and was quite whiffy! My hubby vomited in the bus queue.

I'm looking forward to it and writing up the training plans now.
  • Options

I ran the half in 2012 and vowed I wouldn't be back...mainly, in truth, because out-and-back courses do not inspire me.  The medal was amusingly shaped like a phallus, but I'm led to believe they've changed it after feedback image

I was marshalling in 2013 around the 25-26 mile point and I can vouch for the crowd encroaching on the course.  No barriers until you go round the final corner, and lots of people vying for position to take photos of their loved ones.  Not a huge concern, though.

As for the bus travel, would strongly suggest taking the 44 Lothian bus, which is both cheaper and closer than those EMF put on.  

Oh, and I will be running the marathon in 2015...  Signed up yesterday along with about 6 people from work, the vast majority running their first. 

• Options

I’ve also signed up for Edinburgh 2015 after receiving a rejection from VLM.

This will be my first marathon although I ran the half this year.  I actually quite liked the course and didn’t mind the out-and-back aspect, although the start and finish were quite congested which ended up costing me the time I wanted.  Support was pretty good through the towns and villages along the coast, despite the fact the weather was awful when we started.

As others have said the baggage collection was a total shambles.

Fortunately didn’t have to suffer the misery of getting the EMF bus back into town as my boyfriend was able to park just outside Musselburgh.  As a local I strongly advise using Lothian buses rather than the EMF service; it will be less of a walk and cheaper.

Definitely areas that could be improved upon but I’d still recommend it.

• Options

I ran the Edinburgh marathon this year.It was initially good, being well organised. But at the finish, it seemed like a nearly empty field and I was unsure where to go for my bag or the bus.

After Brighton, with its great reception at the end, this was quite a letdown.

The coaches at the finish were more expensive and further away than the public buses. But I was pleased to have booked because I fell asleep and woke up only when they had reached their destination, image

• Options

I ran it this year - the route was nice enough, just not "Edinburgh" - you leave the city centre after a mile and don't return. There's some nice sections as you run along the coast, but it is tight in places (esp. along Portobello promenade). The out and back route is fine, but it's almost comical when you hit the furthest point - you run down the left side of the road, and there's a barrier down the middle of the road at what seems like an arbitrary position, you run round it and head back down the other side of the road. It's very exposed, being coastal, with very little shelter from the wind. It could be a very difficult run if the wind gets up. Great views of the power station as you run under it, twice.

There's not a lot of crowds or atmosphere, until about the last mile. The very last section is on plastic mats through a park, and isn't a very impressive finish - it feels like the finish has been put where it will have minimal long-term impact, rather than where it might have seemed more memorable / special.

The buses aren't great, and be warned that the baggage buses offload the bags onto grass at the finish, this year this coincided with an almighty rain shower, so soggy bags all round.

There was also the debacle of their not publishing the times, so anyone looking for proof of GFA was knackered.

One minor thing which annoyed me at the time - they ran a relay race at the same time. Fair play to anyone taking part, but it meant that at various points on the way around, people would appear from the sides with fresh legs and run beside you. I know this sounds irrational, but in most marathons, there's a sense of "we're all in the same boat and going through this together", we've all started at the same time in the same place and going through the same struggles, there's a cameraderie of sorts. When you're at 18 miles and the finish line seems a long way away, it somehow feels "wrong" that someone else beside you can just appear and run the last leg. Like I said, I know this will seem totally unreasonable, but at the time, it p&*%ed me off. Sorry to anyone reading this who ran the relay, it's not your fault! If I were organising it, I might have set the relay off at a slightly different time to avoid this.

Having said all that, it's the closest thing there is to a big-city marathon in Scotland, and I would probably do it again. There were some positives - the coastal views were at times really nice, no big hills to worry about, free showers at the finish and the beer tent was great. If you get decent weather and accept that it's not the best organised race in the world, you'll enjoy it.

• Options

Thanks all for some good advice. I'm feeling less despondent about it now compared with when I started this thread. I'll make sure the kit bag is waterproof and use the local buses and that should take care of the major issues.

I don't mind a race without much crowd support. The only big race I've absolutely loved was VLM. Otherwise I'm more into little local events, so I don't really have a problem if there's not much of an atmosphere. Bit worried about the lack of official timing though. If all goes well this will be my GFA ticket for London 2016. Is it really possible that a big city marathon like this won't provide me with the evidence if I achieve my time?

• Options

That's what happened this year, although they later backtracked and I think made the times publicly available. Was a bit of a mess, though, and I wouldn't be 100% confident it won't happen again.......

• Options

I have done Edinburgh twice and loved it actually.

Pros- course nice and flat, lots of support, fairly scenic.  Nice T shirt and medal, decent enough finishing area.  Good water and fuel on way round, plentiful stocks and well organised by cheery marshalls.

Cons- this year the toilets at the start were bad, not nearly enough.  Get there early!  Buses at end are renowned for not being great, but both years I've done it family have come to meet me at the end and managed to park less than a mile away so that's ideal if you can manage an arrangement with someone you know.  Weather has a record of being quite warm- so hydrate well.

• Options

I did Edinburgh last year and it's downhill/flat so is really the "UK's fastest marathon course" and I got a new PB out of it (subsequently further beaten). 

Lothian Buses do put on special buses nearer/cheaper the finish but after the race my mate and I hit the showers, went to the pub for a few pints then walked the 1.5 miles to the train station to get a very quiet and cheap (£2.50) train back to Waverley station in the city centre. If you can stomach the 1.5 miles to the train station, and beer certainly helps this, then this is the best method I think. 

• Options

Going back to the original post, and despite my earlier comments, I've signed up for Edinburgh 2015. Don't suppose you can put in a better word for the event than that (and I live south of the border)?

• Options

I did Edinburgh last year as my first Marathon - its relatively local to me and fairly "easy" (if you can call any marathon easy).  I can't say it was the best event I've taken part in, but overall it was well organised, and was busy enough to have a good atmosphere but not so crowded you couldn't find your pace.  I'd say its worth doing, especially if you're looking for a fast course, but it can seem a bit long and lonely at times, and don't expect to see too much of the City.  I was planning to revisit it this year with a view to improving my time, but I've missed the deadline for entry - so anyone know anyone with a spare place let me know?  the website allows the place to be exchanged officially, and I'll cover al costs.

• Options

I thought I might revive this thread in case there are any other Edinburgh bound runners who feel like comparing training notes. 

I've been running fairly steadily since the beginning of the year but as of RS week I am attempting to follow a training programme. It's a kind of bastardised version of two or three different programmes, specifically adapted to my four times a week running (cos I can never find a training programme for four times a week). 

I've already been covering up to 20 miles but now I'm taking the LSR back to 14 and will build up to 20 again over the next few weeks. Am also considering having a go at Yasso 800s.

• Options

I did this race back in 2010...my 1st marathon...I've done the half each year since (it's my PB course) and am back to do the marathon this year so I guess it can't be all bad.  I'll be taking this one fairly easy as I'm doing Manchester 6 weeks before it and Liverpool 2 week afterwards. 

As my training is gearing up for Manchester I've got a 20mile race this weekend which I plan to do at marathon pace (I have a goal time in mind)...should be funimage

Hopefully it won't be as hot this year as it was back in 2010...5 mins before the start the clouds parted and the sun shone with all it's might...thank goodness for factor 50 sunscreen.  image

I used the 4:15 ultimate training plan off here as the base for mine, so far so good although I did have to shorten some of the midweek runs as I just don't have time to run 10miles after work.

• Options

Hi, I did Edinburgh as my first marathon last year. I quite liked most of the course even though it's not really Edinburgh. The only part I really didn't like was he couple of miles before and after the turn around point: it just seemed really long and quiet and lonely then! Anyway, I;m back in this year!

Last year I followed Hal Higdon's intermediate plan, this year I'm following the P&D up to 55miles plan. So far so good, did my first 20 miler last week, this week my long run drops back to 16 miles but with 12 of those being at marathon pace.

Good luck with the 20 mile race CazSoul!

Last year I was aiming for around 4.30 (or just to finish alive and well, to be honest!) and managed 4.36 so was quite happy - I finished feeling well and with a smile on my face. I haven't quite decided what I'm aiming for this year, probably around 4.20.

• Options

I'm going to have to ask CB69, what is the P&D up to 55miles plan?  You'll be finishing ahead of me, think I'm going to aim for somewhere between 4:30 and 4:45 depending on how my legs cope with Manchester.

You did better than me at my 1st marathon...I was aiming for 5hrs and finished in 5:27, totally fed up and vowing never to do another marathon ever again...I'm doing 5 this year lol

• Options

5 marathons CazSoul - the thought makes me want to lie down! I'm aiming for two this year: Edinburgh then York in October and that's quite enough for now!

P&D - Pfitzinger & Douglas "Advanced Marathon Training" - A book which goes into quite bit of detail on the science around marathon training. They base their training on high volume general aerobic (slow) running to improve endurance then, secondary to this, add in some lactate threshold running to improve speed then some VO2 max running. Even if you don't follow their plans the book is a really good read, it really helped me get my head around the purpose of various runs.

The book provides quite a few plans, based on peak weekly volume, so the up to 55miles plan will peak at 55 miles per week. The others (from memory) are 55 - 70 miles and over 70 miles - I don't need to be worrying about them, 55 miles per week is quite sufficient for me! 

I did 16 miles this morning, with 12 at MP, all went well so I'm feeling fairly positive. Just thinking CazSoul, if your doing a marathon 6 weeks before Edinburgh you must be coming close to your taper!

• Options

I am back for my second go at Edinburgh with last year having been my first. If you think courses / routes are bad for Edinburgh then don't ever run the Belfast Marathon! image I think the Edinburgh course is geared up for a PB and the 'Burgh is a fantastic city. My training has been going well but I had a stinker on Tuesday at a 10k race with my legs feeling heavy and my pacing all over the place. Mileage wise I have been averaging 45+ miles for the last 10 weeks with a peak of 58. My 10k performance has indicated that a week or two of slightly lower mileage would benefit me in the long run.

• Options

Aaah yep Pfitzinger & Douglas...one of the speedy blokes I met through the 2010 version of this thread uses the over 70 miles plan.  Eek 55 miles a week...shove over, I need to lie down.

20miles this weekend, 22 (possibly) next weekend and then taper....aaah bliss...then after Manchester the plan is reverse taper - taper...6, 12, 18, 12, 6, Edinburgh *gulp*

Mark, you're right Edinburgh is definitely a PB course...I'm back there next year to have another bash at my sub 2 half marathon...was 32 seconds off it last year which is the closest I've got by 2mins.  You probably needed a lower mileage week before attempting to blast a 10k...it's all about the marathon image

• Options

Oh goody, fellow Edinburgh marathoners. Hello CazSoul, CB69 and Mark. I am excited about the possibility of a PB at Edinburgh. I've done two marathons before. My first was quite challenging and although I enjoyed it and felt that amazing sense of achievement, I was inadequately prepared and was a bit crap. Last year I did London and was pleased with 4hr 5 mins. So my aim for Edinburgh is basically to do it in under 4 hours although I am aiming for sub 3:50. As one of you mentioned, I'm anxious about running in heat. I've not done a marathon so close to summer before.

I am as injury prone as they come and I am amazed by some of the mileage in the training plans you have discussed. I would guess that my hardest weeks won't top 40 or 50 miles. However, we'll see how it goes. LSR tomorrow.

• Options

Skylarker before the Berlin marathon I was having trouble with my calves and I focused on 2 quality sessions during the week, intervals & tempo, and then a long run at the weekend with swimming or cycling supplementing the remainder of my training. I wasn't in PB condition but I was able to put in a time I was more than happy with given the circumstances. 

• Options

I'm also quite injury prone Skylarker, achilles particularly. I find I can increase mileage without too much problem, it's the speed work that seems to get me - I'm just a natural born plodder!. The plan I followed last year peaked at 40 miles, I guess I'm just testing the waters, seeing what works best for me to get a bit faster and remain injury free.

The heat certainly wasn't a problem last year, it was dull and cool and it rained heavily before the start and towards the end.

I've had a rest day today, tomorrow I have 8 miles with some 100m strides.

• Options

I'm doing Edinburgh too also as a result of not getting into London, thought I'll combine visiting Edinburgh with doing the marathon. It will be my 3rd and hoping to do it in under 4:15. I'm currently following a modified version of the Hal Higdon Intermediate plan, yikes 20 miles tomorrow!! My legs already feel tried just thinking about it.

• Options

With all the talk of injury my back pinged yesterday image I seen a physio and I am hopefully going to see an Osteopath this week to get it sorted. 

• Options

Hope your back has unpainted Mark.

Hi Ogechi. 20 miles! That's a lot with the marathon still quite far off. Will you doing lots of runs that length?

I'm building up my long run again. Planning about 15 tomorrow and then 17 or 18 the week after. I'm trying to ignore the vague pain in my foot because if that gets worse then my whole training plan is buggered. Oh to be an injury free runner. I swear I'd do a sub 3 hour marathon if things didn't keep hurting!

• Options
    Mark, hope the back is feeling better!

Skylarker, I started building up from 14 miles and yes I plan to do about 4 or 5 20 to 22 milers. Good Luck with the training I hope you manage to stay injury free and the foot doesn't get worse! Wow to even be anywhere near sub 3 hour, I'll be plodding my way round the course image
  • Options
    Oh I was jesting Ogechi. I'm optimistic that I can get a sub 4 but anything much faster than that is in my fantasy world only!
  • Options

Haha! It's good to dream image

Another 20 miles yesterday, this one wasn't so good! Me and wind just don't go