Options

Threads

If anyone else is ever old enough or like me was forced to watch it at school you might find this interesting.

nuclear attack

Comments

• Options

I remember this well. One of the most terrifying things I've ever watched.

• Options

Yes it made a real impact didn't it?

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I was too young to remember Threads but I do remember feeling that there might be more than just a theoretical possibility that the world would end in the not too distant future, and that hiding under a door armed with several tins of baked beans probably wouldn't change that.  Scary shit!!

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

There was also "When the wind blows".

• Options

I remember this well (around the same time the US produced a similar drama called 'The Day After'). Scary stuff.

A thing I'll never forget is that at the time I was a young lad working in Croydon, and a few weeks after these were both aired, the sirens went off. Not just the continuous 'all clear' but the full on rising and falling alert. Being at the time of the Cold War, this was absolutely terrifying. Cars on the Croydon flyover were slowing down/stopping and the drivers were leaning out of their windows. The sirens continued for a couple of minutes before stopping.

I heard later that it was something to do with the testing of the sirens in case of the Thames flooding, but it was bloody scary at the time, and talk about bad timing!

• Options

Does anyone remeber a kids teatime programme called "Changes" It had a Kraftwerk type themetune.

• Options
    Cinders wrote (see)

There was also "When the wind blows".

I love that...I tracked down the book and the video.....

• Options

Written by the same bloke who wrote "The Snowman" ?

• Options

never heard of threads.but then I'm older than you cake  image

• Options
    Runs with the Hound wrote (see)

I remember this well (around the same time the US produced a similar drama called 'The Day After'). Scary stuff.

A thing I'll never forget is that at the time I was a young lad working in Croydon, and a few weeks after these were both aired, the sirens went off. Not just the continuous 'all clear' but the full on rising and falling alert. Being at the time of the Cold War, this was absolutely terrifying. Cars on the Croydon flyover were slowing down/stopping and the drivers were leaning out of their windows. The sirens continued for a couple of minutes before stopping.

I heard later that it was something to do with the testing of the sirens in case of the Thames flooding, but it was bloody scary at the time, and talk about bad timing!

I remember them doing this, (I was in a geography lesson!) but being in London we knew it was goign to happen. Before the Thames Barrier was finished, there used to be maps outside tube stations showing which areas of london would be under water if it ever happened.

• Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Yes it was PC.  Raymond Briggs.

• Options

All terrifying.  I'm old enough to have been a member of CND, went on marches and protested at RAF bases against the siting of cruise missiles.  I'm genuinely pleased that my twenty something daughter doesn't spend her time being scared witless and that she thinks that we all overreacted in the 70s and 80s image 

• Options

That was the weird thing about cnd; they were trying to make it more likely that Britain would get nuked!

• Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I never saw Threads but I remember as a kid seeing The Day After when it aired. I have a recollection of Michael Fish or someone doing a weather report afterwards mocking up what a nuclear winter would be like. I don't think I imagined it.