Options

Running in New Zealand

I'm going to be travelling in New Zealand for several weeks and (obviously!) want to keep training while I'm away but I don't especially want to spend the whole time running alone. I've heard of websites that enable you to hook up with fellow runners in the area in which you're travelling, Does anyone know of these websites or have any experience of them? I haven't had any success just "surfing". If anyone can shed some light I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Options
    dare I say it but the Forum on realrunner.com has an NZ Runner section so someone there might be able to offer some advice.

there is some very nice running out there, lots of trails etc. I'm really quite jealous.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    My old boss is a kiwi and he lives/works in Auckland and has said he's doing the Auckland halfM in November (I still talk to him by e-mail) if you want some more details for that part of the island I'm sure he knows some routes.

Enjoy your trip!
  • Options
    Huge thanks for that. I've checked out realrunner.com and downloaded a list of running clubs in NZ and will hopefully be able to find some people to run with thru the clubs - so things are looking up!
    Dustin, it would be great if your old boss could recommend a couple of good routes (nothing too secluded)
    Many thanks to you both. It's the first time I've used the Forum and I'm dead impressed!!
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    MM , let me know what part you're going to , my buddy used to work in Wellington so he may know some places down there as well.
  • Options
    I went to NZ last January/Feb for a friend's wedding in Auckland. I went running around 7 am round the harbour area and met several runners of differing speeds. Along the harbour there are also kilometer markers for runners on the kerbside. They seem to start somewhere out near the Kelly Tartan aquarium area - i discovered them towards the end of my run from the harbour where the tourist infor place is.
    I also ran in Wellington and Rotorua. Saw some runners in Wellington, but they didn't seem as friendly as the Aauckland runnres. Saw no other runners in Rotorua.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Dangly. Will be in Auckland, Wellington and Rotorua so it's good to have some advance info.

Dustin, we'll be travelling all around but will definitely be visiting Auckland, Wellington, Hamilton, Picton, Christchurch, Queenstown, Kaikoura so any info your friend can give would be most welcome.
  • Options
    Dangly - I wouldn't have thought running around Rotorua can have been a very pleasant experience - all that stinky sulphur.
  • Options
    MM, I spent a week or so in Christchurch mainly just ran round Hagley park which is very central, there was a 'fitness' trail round the out side, about 5k long with monkey bars, pull bars etc on the way round.

Queenstown, ah I spent near enough 7 months there great place, there are some nice flat trails that run along side the Wakatipu lake (great for sunday morning hangover runs), If your feeling slightly mad I also saw a few people running up the Ben Lomond track! (I walked it).
  • Options
    Murf - running in Rotarua early in the morning was unreal! The steam from the mud and boiling pools hung over the trees and there was steam coming up through drains in the road. A real experience that i'll remember for ever! (Especially as my camera went wrong half way through the holiday and i didn't realise until we were back home!)
    I found the main road and just ran along it for half an hour, then turned round and ran back. Saw hardly any traffic. Memories are made of this!
  • Options
    Dustin - Have you been able to get any info from your chum about where to run in Wellington, Hamilton, Picton etc? Many thanks.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Ms Mouse,
    Sorry for the delay - my jub of a mate has been sending emails to the wrong address (my old work one). Finally got through to him and he says :

"Tell your running mate that there are plenty of good running spots around NZ most places have running maps at the "Information Offices". Also some web sites
    www.goodrunning.co.nz
    www.eventsonline.co.nz
    I think these are the better sights but he should be able to do a web search. Depending on what time of year he is coming there are a number of good 1/2 and full marathons. Biggest NZ marathon is Fletchers Rotorua Marathon, which is round Lake Rotorua. Thats in April I think. "

I hope this helps.........
  • Options
    Hmmn. Dustin, just tried those two URLs. The first doesn't work at all and the second lists two events in May and June 2003.

I'm going to NZ over Christmas, so have an interest in this. I found this site which has a few pointers:
    www.realrunner.com/newzealand/

I contacted one of the local clubs and got a quick and friendly response inviting me to join them for training runs.

• Options
    Dustin, please thank your mate but those websites were not much good! Have however found www.e-vents.co.nz which gives NZ-wide race listings which may be useful to you Dan, though I seem to have arranged my trip so that I'm never in the right town at the right time for a race! Will have to content myself with doing my own thing and hopefully joining up with some running clubs - the majority of which seem to be in Auckland and Wellington! did you get your info of the running clubs from realrunner?
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Didn't check the pages he sent , but yes they aren't all that...
    have a look at www.coolrunning.co.nz/newcal/newcal.cfm
    or you can just try coolrunning.co.nz

seems to be a bit more listed, or at the very least some contacts....

when are you off ?
  • Options
    Thanks for that - I've had a look at the coolrunning site and am beginning to make some contacts.

We're off in about one and a half weeks!
  • Options
    The Fletcher challenge marathon sounded great but in planning my 10-week trip out to NZ in Feb I favoured finding a race at the earlier part of my trip. So I've tracked down the Buller marathon in South Island on 8 Feb - check www.bullermarathon.org.nz
    The organisers have been extremely helpful via email - letting me pay when I get out there, finding me accommodation etc. Anyone got any (encouraging) reports on that particular race? Anyone likely to be there and fancy meeting up?
  • Options
    I'm currently considering visiting some friends in New Zealand in November next year and taking in the Aukland marathon (or half) while I'm there.

Waiting for their report on the course as I seem to recall from my last visit 15 years ago that there's some pretty sharp hills in Aukland. However, since the majority of the route seems to follow the shoreline it should be quite flat. Other consideration is that it starts at 06.30 :(
  • Options
    I e-mailed the Auckland Joggers Club www.aucklandjoggersclub.org who were really helpful and will probably be able to advise you on the marathon route. They've been very friendly and invited me to come on their training runs with them. Saturdays start at 7am (ouch)and Sundays at 8am. If you're in Wellington the Wellington Scottish Athletics Club are a good contact too www.scottishathletics.org.nz.
  • Options
    Thanks Mighty mouse, might just get in touch with them and see if any can give me first had opinions on the event.