Options

Camel back hydration

Hi I'm becoming increasingly annoyed with carrying a sports bottle on my long run. I don't get a long with a drinking belt. Please can you tell me what is the minimum amount of miles you should be clocking up before using a camel back 1,5 litre capacity? I currently run 13 miles on my long run. Advice appreciated.

Comments

• Options

It's up to you, if you find them more comfortable then a bottle of waist bsg, then wear them for every run, don't worry about what other runners think is appropriate do what is best for your running, 

If you want water on a 5 mile run, and prefer a camelbak to a bottle wear it, just don't fill it up, you can always put 500-750mls in for shorter runs. 

• Options

again, no minumum, but you can get some tiny packs these days if you don't need space for other stuff.  If you squeeze the air out of the bladder you won't even know it's on.

• Options

You don't have to FILL the bladder - just because it's got 1.5 litres capacity doesn't mean you can't only put 500 ml into it. To get the air out: turn it upside down, such the air out through the drinking tube. Then it won't slosh while you run.

• Options

Totally agree with everyone else. I love my little cambelbak as hated carrying water. At this time of year I'm happy going out for a 13 mile run without it but in summer I'll take it for any run I plan to be out for more than an hour.

I usually just fill it up, better to have too much water available than not enough.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I have a cheap tesco version hydration pack which is a 1.5L blabber in a 6litre backpack. I take it out on all of my runs that last an hour or more as I'm not great at hydrating during the day and I end up needing the loo while out if I try to drink too much pre run- so I use mine 4 times a week. It will cause your back to be slightly sweatier than usual but drinking water regularly will mean you stay cooler overall than you would without it. I fill mine completely and just drink what I need. Because I train by heart rate I might run slightly slower due to carrying and extra 2kg but I'm still working as hard as I want because the hr does not lie. I just wish the came up with a squeezy type pump that meant you didn't have to suck while trying to breathe!
  • Options

I have a small camlebak. It's great on my LSR. anything over 10 miles or hot conditions will bring the backpack out. It does slow you a little biut it's a good thing because come race day when you aren't wearing it you will get a surprise.

I bought the camelbak over the competition because I heard cheaper bladders can make the water taste awful and can be weaker and burst/leak.

Not 100% sure if the 2nd part is true but i kow plastic flavoured water is a common complaint

• Options
    Wow fantastic responses. Many thanks.

That settles it..... I'm going to get a camel back as I have been used to 500ml whilst running 13 mile stints and just fill the 1.5 litre model to this amount of liquid. I don't think I'll feel the weight whilst running with it being stored on my back. Thanks for all tips and advice.