Options

quality beneficial individually tailored sessions club

these weekly mileage threads disturb me

focussing on the numbers could encourage someone to overdo it with disastrous results..

lets make sure our targets are in line with out capabilities and only push orselves a little bit at a time..

..keeping us happy, motivated and injury free.

it's not about the numbers! well ok it is... but only numbers relative to yourself.

so here's to a challenging but intelligent weeks training for you all!

Comments

• Options
    well said Ed! It always worries me when people's mileage starts getting high, particulary this early in marathon training. Personally I have never done more than a 45 mile week (once) in my past two marathons and I got round!

Do what you can, when you can and make sure that it is enjoyable and injury free, the aim is to get to the race not the highest mileage in the week...
  • Options
    In the 'old days' most club runners ran more miles than the average club runner of today. They also ran faster. There also seemed to be fewer injuries around, though I can't prove that. High mileage DOES NOT cause injuries per se.

Some people aim to 'get round'. Some people aim to 'get round in a certain time'. I've averaged 45mpw for about 3months and wouldn't dream of running a marathon off that sort of training. I wouldn't even race a 1/2m off 45mpw. Still, each to their own.

Running high mileage will not back you a better person, nor does it make you a saddo. But in most cases it will lead to faster times in racing.
  • Options
    spans - i know what you are trying to say. but if you are naturally talented like you then its easy to say that the high mileage is unnecessary.

if like me you have the natural running talent of a large concrete block then its not so easy. do i stay on the lower mileage and accept i'm always going to be in the last 5% of any race? or do i try and get faster?
  • Options
    you sure Bazza??

please say you are
  • Options
    Would you like to run a marathon, with just 15mpw? I can't imagine the agony I would have to go through.

Good point about the injuries. How many people try to rush into FLM, without committing to the hard training? Would you like to run with a cortison injection?
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    There is definitely a case for getting certain runs in of a certain mileage though I'd agree that perhaps a weekly total need not be a focus in itself.
  • Options
    hey i never said high mileage was bad.. or caused injury..
    ..i'm just promoting sensible targets and not being swayed by the 'woohoo lets all do Xmiles this week' threads.

hence the title of this thread..

if you want to go knock out 100+mile weeks fine by me.. but please don't go getting all uptight and suggest i'm saying things that i'm not!
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    I don't understand how anyone can do 100 miles a week or more and still see their families.

But they seem to manage.
  • Options
    I am not saying that you don't need to put the mileage in to run a marathon, but you shouldn't go out and do a run to get your mileage up for the week, especially if it effects your quality sessions which help increase your speed. As has been said many times, going out plodding out the miles will yes increase you stamina but not your speed that is where the quality sessions come in.

I would love (in some respects) to be able to put more miles in during the week, but one thing I have learnt is that if I am not careful I get tired and the start picking up the injuries / illnesses that knock me out for longer... so quality not quantity is what I have to stick by.
  • Options
    It's an interesting discussion.

Surely even those in the low mileage camp will agree that the weekly long run is pretty much mandatory for decent marathon preparation?

If that's true then how do we make the weekly LSD run more comfortable?

Build up the the mileage in all the other runs would be the obvious answer.

More miles gets my vote, but only at a reasonable pace and not built up too quickly.
  • Options
    ed m, I agree with you. Everybody needs to build up to thing's in a sensible way.
    It's the training effect that count's.

Most of my pb's have come from 70+ weeks.
    I've not had a running injury for many years & my physio is amazed at how my body copes with the hard training.
    But it does take it.

My advice to anybody is that you have to want to do the training for a marathon.
    Not just to run the marathon.
  • Options
    I find that running a certain amount of miles gives the strength and stamina to cope with the speed sessions.
  • Options
    I think the purpose of the thread is to discuss quality sessions that maximise the time available, so my vote is for a hill session of a lunchtime.

In half an hour I can warm up, run a 8-10 1 minute two minute hills and cool down, the actual mileage covered may only be three miles but the session is as demanding as 10 miles easy/steady. It has never failed to reap rewards in terms of strength and been invaluable on cross countries for passing people on uphill sections.
  • Options
    1 minute OR two minute I meant to say.
  • Options
    thanks monique... judging by last saturdays long run i need to do some hills... pity its flat round my work so i have to do tempo or fartlek if i want to give myself a hard time :)
  • Options
    Monique, there's nothing quite as good as them hills!!!
  • Options
    IMHO the things is - you can't do a 'quality' session every day of the week. Doing 'quantity' helps you cope with 'quality'. If you are not running a certain 'quantity' you won't get the best out of your 'quality'.

However, I do believe in looking at the entire training load that each person has to deal with. This includes running, but also has to take into account all the other factors that affect running:- domestic situation, type of work, age, current level of fitness, other hobbies etc. Running needs to be balanced with all these things. I also think that focusing on weekly mileage is not as important as monthly and even yearly mileage. How I run today is not just a product of what I did last week, but what I did last year, and the year before that.

Anyway, once I've done my three months of base training that every runner should do once a year :) I usually follow this pattern:-
    Mon - steady run
    Tue - long intervals
    Wed - steady run
    Thu - short intervals
    Fri - easy run or rest
    Sat - short fast run
    Sun - Long slow run
  • Options
    I can't bloody avoid them, either where I work or where I live so every run includes some hill work...

As it happens, I think this is a huge advantage come race day on a flat-ish course...
  • Options
    What kind of times are you looking at running Bazza?
  • Options
    Ratbag- do you look at peoples club vest in races and try to work out what kind of hills they have locally and tell yourself that you can pass them because they won't be used to them like you are?

I always try to alternate easy and hard days but I think there is a tendency to focus on miles rather than what those miles contain. I do find myself thinking of adding a few extra on the last run of the week just to go over 30 or 40 whatever.
    The point when your time is limited is to make every run count, this means if it is a recovery run it is just that - and needs to be s-l-o-w.

I had a very liberating 10 minute mile 6 miles easy off road this morning, legs felt stiff as a board, but now they are fine so it fullfilled its purpose.
  • Options
    10 years ago I was running under 32mins for 10k but I seriously doubt I'll do that again. In 2001 I ran a couple of 34min 10ks but I've been injured for the past two years so my running has been severely curtailed until the past few months. If things continue as they are and I stay injury-free I'm hoping to go under 35 for 10k later this year. I reckon I could run about 37mins at the moment.
  • Options
    Very interesting.

I admire the long distance boys tremendously.

I worry that the innate competitiveness of human nature, particularly among racers, will cause some amongst us to push weekly distance beyond their standard resulting in unnecessary injury.

High mileage for the speedier types takes no longer than my appalling efforts. They may go 15 miles, but they're home showered and being sweet to their family before I've got back to the front door from my 6 miles.

Don't imagine I'm not competitive. But when the choice really is run slow or buy the wheelchair, I run slow. And like it.

How do I make long runs in marathon training not so awful, if 20+ a week is my usual diet? By making them special, going somewhere nice, rewarding myself with tasties on route, telling myself what a miracle it is that I'm here, what a sterling lass for keeping going, a celebratory supper after, and a really good long rest. I liked my "picnic runs" very much, and look forward to more in training for the next marathon.

People are amazingly different, and respond differently to the same stimulus. You read the training schedules, you try them, and you write down what happened, and adjust the next time.

If you're making great strides on 100mpw and can stand it, more power to your ankle. Maybe another person hasn't got the time, and I haven't got the energy. So we find what works best for us. The brain side of training.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Stickless- people react with horror when I say I will run back from Skipton after Cross Country (30 miles) they imagine I will be caning it. Little do they know how pleasant it is to stop off and have a pot of tea and an almond slice- it's whatever gets you through.
  • Options
    Monique, the horror is part of the fun of it!

lingering delight from the summer: when I arrived at Hunts sailing club quite scarlet of countenance and considerably thirsty -

"you did WHAT?"

(about 18 miles)
  • Options
    Nice one Stickless...that's the way to show 'em...18 miles!!! bloomin' impressive, I say...

Monique, I have to say I've never been that analytical about it but I do know that when there are hills in the race, I have no fears as I've done so many in training...
  • Options
    Of course it can have the opposite effect when you see someone in a Ben Nevis A.C. top.
  • Options
    hee hee...THAT would be a bit worrying....
  • Options
    Bazza has hit it spot on. High mileage gives you the strength and endurance to build in the speedwork when appropriate. The idea of base training is just that, a 3 month or so period in a year to build a solid mileage base for the racing season.

Muttley, re. not seeing your family...

100 miles per week is just under 15 miles per day on average. That is 45 mins easy in the morning at 6am and 65-70 mins in the evening - could be straight after work or 7pm - 8:10pm.

This still leaves plenty of time for the rest of life and does not cut into `family time' which would be watching soaps and DIY makeover shows with Mrs BR in the evening.

I, along with quite a few others seem to spend more time posting on here than actually running in a day.
  • Options
    yuo really dont like soaps do you BR
  • Options