Options

TopHalf (50-100) club

nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
For the whole time since I started running six months ago I've been on less then 50 mpw. The week I finally achieve it ie 53 miles via BT-Stage2 last week, I find myself in "no-man's land". Can't get into the <50 Slackerz Club and not good enough to join the 100+ Mile High Club.

Anyway lookforward to seeing how all the other TopHalf'ers are doing ;-)

Comments

• Options
    Count me in NRG-B.

My rolling 7 day total topped 60 miles at the weekend (for the first time) and I intend to spend a few weeks here acclimatising. All my mileage is at circa 150 HR which I guess is around LT-25 in a BT kind of stylie.
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Awesome, Percy. So you reckon your LT is about 175. How did you come up with that figure?
  • Options
    Yes I'm in, 60+ for the last 2 weeks - though not this week is that OK?

The 100 a week club obviously have no life - and the slackers are...well....can we just call them joggers?
  • Options
    I did say guess NRG-B ;-)

That was based on a New Years Day 10k when my average HR was around that figure.

Does that make sense? I've seen HR max at 194

However, I was coming back from sickness at the time....
  • Options
    Hello chaps,

I did 48 ish last week and seem to be about to go over 50 so I guess this is where I belong...

I've never been over 50 yet as far as I can recall but BT is getting me there...

Perce...175 is perfectly feasible for LT given your HR max...
  • Options
    Morning all,

Nice to see that this forum is breaking into every smaller cliques - shall I start the 44 - 46 mile thread next? Only joking...

Well, I'm on 45 miles weeks at the moment, and intend staying there for the rest of the month. I should be eligible to post on this thread again in early Feb though.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I did 52 miles just before injury, but missed one whole week (wow!), but will be back to 50 the end of this week, so I suppose I should move up to this group now.

Might go down miles again on race weeks though, so does that mean I have to drop back down to the next group for that week?

This could get messy! :o)

• Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Ain't this fun!! Reminds me of the sketch with The Two Ronnies & John Cleese (??) about Upper class, middle class and lower class. I wish I could remember it.
  • Options
    OK then, a question for you all:

How do you split up your weekly mileage?

Mine is quite simple. five days of around 10 miles, a rest day and a long run all at a comfortable pace. Some of my routes have hills but at present no intervals and no speed work.
    I'm building towards FLM so I expect to add some intervals and speed work and maybe increase total mileage too but not before mid Feb.

Having never done a marathon, I'm keen to first put down a solid aerobic base that I can rely on to get me past 18 miles and on to the end. Speed improvements after my base building stage are the icing on the cake.
  • Options
    I'll not say how many miles I did last week for wishing to removed from the club and banished forever but this weeks schedule is this and I'll never show my face here again if I don't do it......I aim to some how hit around 75 miles mid to late Feb (fingers crossed)

M 9 complete (tempo)
    T 9 Going at lunch trainers ready (easy)
    W 5am (easy Xcountry) + 5 (faster paced) lunch
    T 6 (Fartlek)
    F Rest
    S 16 (at 20 mile pace)
    S 6-8 (Slow recovery) Maybe even day off

This should give me between 51 and 59 miles.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    My weeks follow something like this, but can change due to other things getting in the way!

Mon-1hr circuits or rest if tired
    Tues-8 miles fartlek/reps or other speed
    Wed-10 miles steady
    Thurs-6 miles easy
    Friday-7 miles
    Sat-5 miles easy or rest plus 1hr swim
    Sun-15 miles

Approx-51 miles give or take the odd mile

Also just started to include 30-60mins on turbo trainer 4 times a week.
  • Options
    BodBod ✭✭✭
    Am quite conservative about distances as I run to time. On BT stage 1 i would do a 60min run and call it 6 miles.

On Stage 2 i'm associating the pace to HR from my latest Hadd test.

As a consequence I am not 100% sure of distance or pace. Not that bothered either, although a GF thingy would be good when can afford it.

week 1 49.9
    week 2 64.7

My plan to mid march peaks at around 68m but will tend to do 6-9m more with the few 3m doubles, plus another hadd test in feb, if pace increases then i'll up my mile calcs
  • Options
    Bod, what would your typical week look like day by day, just curious.

Thanks,
    TR
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Like Bod I'm running to 'time' as indicated by the Stage2 schedule. Here's what I did last week starting from Sun 4th Jan:

S: 85 mins @ LT-20 : 9.07 miles
    M: 47 mins @ LT-20 : 4.86 miles
    T: 70 mins @ LT-10 : 8.30 miles
    W: 75 mins @ LT-15 : 8.16 miles
    T: 60 mins @ LT-10 : 7.08 miles
    F: 75 mins @ LT-15 : 8.67 miles
    S: 60 mins @ LT-10 : 7.38 miles

Weekly Total = 53.5 miles. My LT heart rate is estimated at 163.
  • Options
    I guess all of us on Stage 2 are going to fall into this category. I am doing doubles many days too which is bumping me up to 70-85mpw.
  • Options
    Are you doing all that in your 150s pants? I gotta say if you are that is a strong recommendation for Pose - I don't think the average person could do that mileage in those shoes.
  • Options
    I should clarify I am talking about New Balance RC150s and calling Pantman "pants" - not asking about his underwear.
  • Options
    LOL, popsy!
    The only runs not done in my trusty 150s are a few doubles I do on grass with the kids when I wear surf shoes (2mm neoprene sole) and waterproof socks (seal skinz).
    That said I am NOT a Pose "poster boy" - my Pose running is crap comparatively. I'd say I'm more than half way there, but I have a LOT to iron out still. But I do the basics - feet under hips, land on ball of feet, bent legs, posture, etc...
    NRG-B is the forum's Pose dude!
  • Options
    And, for the record, I do beleive the average person could do that sort of mileage in those shoes - that's the whole point! I'm nothing special...
  • Options
    Could I ask what a stage 2 schedule is?
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Popsider: ROTFL!

PM: Ahem! - excuse me? ;-)

All my runs so far are now in NB150s - in similar pose style to Pantman. It does take a lot to get used to. As long as I stay injury free, we'll see it how it goes.
  • Options
    Trail runner - I put together a 4 stage LONG term plan (1yr or more) for some peeps wanting to do Base Training - get VERY aerobically fit before moving on.
    It's nothing extraordinary. Many have benefited from Hadd's article (see BT thread) - he has phase 1, phase 2a & 2b. One of the IAAF marathon coaches uses introductory, fundamental and specific.
    We all cover similar ground, with subtle changes and different structure and terminology.
    Stage 1 just builds you up to 1hr a day (ideally) of steady jogging with a max HR limit of 15bpm below your Lactate Threshold (10K effort if you are running it in approx 1hr).
    About 10 forumites have patiently endured between 2 and 6 months of conquering stage 1 and are now enjoying the next stage.
  • Options
    Enjoying??? Hmmmm...actually, yes I am...I believe that I am starting to see real benefits...up until now, the thought of a 50 mile week was way more than I would ever consider but with BT, it is starting to become 'normal'...I won't ever get to mega-mileage (I don't think) but I am happy doing what I'm doing...

For Hadd article, see the link on the very first page of the Base Training thread...
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    What stage are you on Pantman?
  • Options
    Stage 2 - three days ahead of the rest of them ;-)