Options

what speed should i run on a treadmill

i'm having do do some of my weekday runs at a gym on a treadmill.

following advice from other RW formities i've set the treadmill at 2% incline.

i run at about 10min mile pace - how many km per hour is that? the treadmills are in Kms only and i'm having a reaaly blonde day and can't work it out!

should i stick to this pace or run a bit faster to make up for the fact that its easier than road running?

hope you can help

thanks!

Comments

• Options
    right you do 6 mph

1 km = 5/8 of a mile.

6/5 x 8 = how many km p h you run = 9.6 km p h.
  • Options
    I think it'd be about 10kph.

Thou I wait to correct and embarrassed
  • Options
    My advice is to run at the same speed as the treadmill.

Note to Stifler: that's a joke.
  • Options
    :-)

Vary it, Boo. Crank it up for a bit, wind it down for a rest. Throw in some almost-sprints. And don't worry about incline unless you want to do some 'hills' (sorry if that's blasphemous).

It's less dull, and it'll do you good!
  • Options
    and don't run faster than the treadie !!! hitting the bar thingy with your dangly bits hurts ! (personal experience whilst trying to ogle some blonde bird the other night)
  • Options
    my ready-reckoner:
    12 min/mile = 8 k/hr
    11.5 = 8.3
    10.5 = 9.1
    10 = 9.6
    9.5 = 10.1
    9 = 10.7
    8.5 = 11.3
    8 = 12
    7.5 = 12.8
    7 = 13.7
    6.5 = 14.8

and if you ask me, 2% is a bit steep

• Options
    Don't bother with the incline and then you really can practice some 'speed' work.

You can run much quicker on the treadie without getting as out of breath. This really gives you a chance to practice quick leg speed, and give those fast twitch muscle fibres a thorough workout.
  • Options
    Do bother with the incline as it is better for your knees - I set it at 0.5%

If you want to practice speed work set it to negative incline if your treadmill supports it :-)

If you want to do a Hill Work session then don't use the treadmill use an elliptical trainer, stepper or stairclimber instead
  • Options
    Wind it up a bit more, no wind resistance see.
    I was using a treadmill for speedwork on holiday last year. The treadmills max speed was 16km/h which was roughly my pace, so I used it. As the treadmill was max'd out, I think this caused it to trip out and stop immediately. WAHEY!!!
  • Options
    wow thanks for your responses everyone.

i have in my training to do some speedwork as well, but i just wanted to know what my 'steady' pace feels like on a treadmill.

and luckily dave the spartan i don't have to worry about my 'dangly bit' as i'm a girl - i'm just worried about running too far back and shooting of the end of the belt!

its interesting what you say about running quicker without getting out of breath. it hadn't occoured to me that that would be a useful exercise on a treadmill. also i haven't bothered with the other eqipment, but if you reckon i can get a good hill work out on an elliptical trainer, i might try it for one session a week.

thanks again everyone.

• Options
    Actually Boo, the stepper is brilliant. I was training for a big mountain walk last year, so did loads on the stepper. As a result my running speed increased (and my bum got a bit smaller).

I reckon this was because you can get a really tough cardio workout on there, with really high heart-rates and sweatiness, without the impact, and without feeling like you're gonna fall off the treadmill cos it's going so fast!!

Rhino's right though, it's better to run on an incline if you've got probs with knees, or any other injuries or niggles.
  • Options
    right, i've got a follow up with the trainer at the gym next week so i'll ask him to show me the other machines (inc stepper) and have a go on them.

i'm following the hal hingdon guide and my week consists of one long run which i'm doing outside, then 2 shorter sessions and one medium session in the week. maybe i could do the medium one at a steady pace then do some speed work/tempo on one of the shorter sessions and use the stepper for the other shorter session.

do you think this would work? should i worry about distance when i use the other machines or just use them for as long as it would take for me to do the session on a treadmill?

• Options
    just bumping this thread up in case someone can help me with my last question?

thanks for the advice so far everyone. most helpful