Options

need advice on my London 2 Brighton ultra in may

hello everyone,

I posted a thread on the beginners thread asking for help and advice to help me out training for my ultra.

I need help on the training I should be doing, stretches, best trainers, best foods and liquids I should be taking in my training and on the days themselves.

I am starting from scratch because I have not ran in at least 2 years so naturally being the sain person I am I chose a 100k ultra to do, and I am a bus driver and as everyone knows we are the fittest people out there!

I am planning to jog it but I want to try and run a load of it, I am running for CLIC Sargent and doing it in memory of my sister who died of cancer, so I want to do my sister and CLIC Sargent proud by at least jogging the whole way!

If in anyway you can all help me out with training tips It would be so so much to me.

Thank you all for your time and Happy New Year!

Comments

• Options

Richard I imagine this is the last thing you want to hear but not being a runner of any kind for the last two years and wanting to run a 100k in May, particularly with a sedentary job simply isn't a good idea. I'm sure others here will be more encouraging and tell you you can do anything you can put your mind to  but you're just looking at injuring yourself here. Sorry but that's my honest opinion.

Walking it without too much pain might be an option but realistically running most of it is probably not a good idea.

• Options

thank you for the reply I knew it was going to be a tough ask to run that's why I am going to try jogging a lot which probably aint much better but I have 5 months to get in some sort of shape.

have you got any training advice like stretching or foods and liquids I should be taking? and to start off how far or how long should I jog for while I am training?

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I'd imagine you will be walking the majority of it to be honest.

I did my first 50 miler last year and walked (planned in advance) all of the up hills.

This was coming off the back of 5 years of marathon running to a reasonable standard.

If you are starting from scratch then you could start a beginners marathon plan and include a lot of run-walking on the long runs. Then once you have completed that, start looking at the 100k.
  • Options
    senidMsenidM ✭✭✭

Initial reaction to your post - you'll be swept if there's a sweeper. Looking into your event that's not going to happen; you can take the full 24 hours if you like!

I did the Spitfire Scramble recently, a 24 hour event, and some "runners" did a 100+ miles, so your target is definitely doable.

Although we're all different, and you don't say what level of runner you were 2 years ago, I very much doubt you will be able to even jog 100K and so will echo Millsy's advice - Walk, jog a bit, but you main problems will be maintaining energy and mental stamina - so practice a few long "runs"

I'm not  a fan of training plans, stick to foods/drinks that won't upset you stomach, make sure you take plenty of rest stops, and, if at all possible, have a back up crew to meet you at certain points with your food/drink/encouragment - it makes a world of difference on an ultra if you know someones waiting 5miles ahead!

Good luck

• Options

So you have 20 weeks to prepare. If you did C25k for 9 weeks, then B210k for 6 weeks, that gives you 5 weeks to get from 10k to 100k. I can't see how that would happen so in between runs I think you need to practice walking for many many hours. Just getting to the finish will be your biggest challenge even walking it, forget jogging the whole thing, it's just not realistic. 

• Options

thanks for all the replies, look if something is worth doing then it is worth doing properly my goal for this was to raise as much for CLIC Sargent and I am half way to £1000 goal for that, that is why I went for the 100k.

Walking sounds like the most realistic thing for me to do then, but I am up for the challenge so I am still gonna try and jog as much as I can!

You have all been fantastic help and I really do appreciate it all.

Look out on the news in may for the bloke who crawls to the end off it, that will be me haha! image

• Options

I'm sorry to read about your sister and I can well understand why you wan't to do something major in her memory.

I take it that you are doing the ActionAdventure 100K, in which case you will be very well supported with plenty of food and drink stops.  I would advise you to forget running for most of the way.  I think you have 35 hors to complete the route so crawling is an option. 

On a serious note the L2B is very much a run of 2 halves.  The first is mainly urban with some hills.  The second is mainly cross country - with more hills (the steepest being on the aproach to Brighton) and mud and stiles - the latter can be quite tricky especially when wet.  You will be doing a lot of this in the dark if you are walking.  Ideally you should do trail and hill training and if possible get used to using a headtorch as well as basic distance work.  Good luck.

• Options
    Thank you loads for your advice, I have got quiet a bit of rough, uneven and steep hills and open areas where I am practising, thank you for the head torch advice.

When I am training should I fill a backpack with heavier weights then what I will have on the day?
  • Options

Richard: are you doing it as a runner or walker, as the website says to do it as a runner you should be aiming for sub 15h which is a pretty hard target to be aiming for.

The website seems very vague on cutoffs? is it 30h for the walkers? If so then thst's not to bad, get the first half out the way, and at the miDisk way point, have a decent break rest, recuperate, and regroup. Sort out your speed plan for the rest of it.

what sort of distance / time are you up to at the moment? 

• Options

Oh Richard... Silly things like weighted rucksacks really aren't worth doing. Just concentrate on getting your endurance up and getting used to the rucksack you wil be using so it's your friend image 

... Excuse the typos midway ish... point I was trying to type in the previous post.

just seen the time limit is 33 hours. So basically a consistent 2mph walk will do it, if you can jog a decent amount in the first quarter then you can have that time in the bank if necessary for later on. 

• Options

For example jog the first 25km in 4-5 hours. Then you have 28 hours to do 75km 

• Options

thank you, I thought is was 24 hours max, as you said the website does not tell you much, which was annoying. As for where I am at now, haha I have only just started! I wanted to jog a fare bit but realistically taking in to consideration, what people have advised me that may be a tough ask, so walking may be my best idea, but like you said if I can jog a decent amount in the first quarter, then I have time in the bank later! 

I have 5 months to try and get into an okish sort of shape, even okish might be pushing it, but I am more then up for the challenge and with everyone's knowledge and advice, I am sure It will gradually start coming in to place soon enough, and when I get stuck I know who to come to for help!!!

Thank you so much for your advice!

• Options

Look at run walk plans. Along the lines of run 5 minutes walk 1 minute. 

You have so little time that basically you need a method getting some distance in before walking a lot if you just try to run I reckon you will be walking very early. So start reading up on run walk. Try 5 minutes / 1 minute. Then as time goes on you can reduce it to 4/1 etc... Might even be walk 2 then run 1 later on... But if you can keep going, then that is all you need to do. In the Patricia t area they have a PDF you can download that actually is the only place I could see that actually said what the cut off is. 

you really should have given yourself longer to do the race justice, but if this is what you've chosen then you need to try to avoid the learning mistakes we mostly make as you don't have the time, so start off slow don't mess around trying to run wuickly at the moment, but you need to be off your backside and walking if possible virtually every day from now on.

get moving image walk 10km and then work out that you need to do that 10 times.

• Options

Hi Richard,

Haven't done this race, but have done Trailwalker, which is the same distance on the South Downs.  I'm afraid that I think if you set out to run all/most of it you'll end up dropping out with injury.  If you set out to walk it you have a good chance of finishing, but it's going to hurt big time.  

In terms of training, you need to be doing long days on your feet.  Not worrying about speed, just getting out there and walking for the day.  Doing that, you'll find out for yourself the answers to a lot of your questions.  I can tell you what works for me, but the only way you'll find out what you can tolerate is through trial and error.  

Some of the high risk factors which lead to drop out are:

1.  Foot problems.  Do you have shoes you can cover many miles in?  How are they on tarmac?  How are they on rough/wet ground?  What socks work for you?  Are they still good if your feet are wet for hours?  Do your feet do better if you tape them, lube them or leave well alone?  I can tell you the answers for me, but only you can figure them out for you.

2.  Chafing.  On trailwalker I met one chap at about the half way point who's scrotum had chafed to the point it was bleeding.  I don't know if he finished or not, but if he did it wouldn't have been fun.  What under-crackers work for you?   What pack can you wear for the distance without chafing?  

3.  Fueling issues.  Nausea (from not eating enough, eating the wrong things, eating too much in one go.)  Low energy/mood (from not eating enough...).  I know what works for me, but...

Good luck!

• Options
    shawkshawk ✭✭✭

I reckon you should seek advice from a professional rather than asking strangers on the internet. You've got no idea who anybody on here is or what their experience is, nor do they know much about your background. It's too easy to follow the advice you like the sound of but really you've got no idea if that's going to be suitable for you. Completing the challenge obviously means a lot to you, so spending whatever on a consultation with a personal trainer has got to be money well spent.

I would echo what Peronel said, spend the next few months finding answers to those questions and you'll be giving yourself the best chance. In addition to that I'd say you need to get your VO2 max as high as you can, being physically fit will make it so much easier. You really want to avoid injury too though so do lots of different things (gym?) rather than just fast running. Again, a PT will know much more about this and should be able to give you a plan to follow.

• Options
    StiltsStilts ✭✭✭
    Hi Richard

My partner and a friend both did this event last year. They are both walkers at heart, but do a little bit of running.

The event is extremely well organised and supported with loads and loads of rest stops with loads and loads of food provided (for free) and ample supplies of water. There is honestly no need to carry any food/fuel unless you want something specific. Night - much colder than you expect, even in May, have lots of extra layers and the best head torch you can manage. Forget about running - you can't. Last year there was a lot of rain and the paths were ankle deep mud - loads of stiles - hundreds of people churning through mud and trying to get over stiles - yuck. do whatever it takes to look after your feet - quality shoes/boots + socks absolutely essential, and walking poles. And don't wait for anyone, or let anyone wait for you, stick to your own pace.

Last year there was was a training plan on the website which they both followed but the more time on your feet the better. I believe there are some organised training walks too, including night time walks. They both said it was horrendous, never again, etc etc and both are now planning to do London-Cambridge this summer image
  • Options

not many personal trainers will have experience of this type of event or the knowledge of what it takes. 

you can get some crap advice on here as well as good advice. 

I think there is some good advice above.

get out , practice long walks with a pack and sort out what food, drink and clothing worls for you.

• Options

I agree with Seren, the majority of PT's would not have the necessary expertise.  Unlike shawk I think the majority, if not all, of the posters here have practical experience of ultras.  Their advice about what to expect concerning the terrain, hazards, necessity of foot care and anti chafing measures, use of walking poles etc. are things that you would not get from the majority of trainers, especially if gym based, or even if running based (I agree with the view that you should ditch your running ambitions and concentrate on just being able to cover the distance).

As booktrunk says the website has training plans - and you can also contact the team - I am sure they will prove helpful.

• Options

OMG Richard, massive good luck to you!

There's some good advice above.  I think a run/walk schedule might be the best bet as you clearly want to run some of it.  Practice it as much as you can before May.  As for nutrition, it might be worth getting some specific advice/buying a book.  All the sugary gels we use for marathon running might make you sick over that time and distance so you might want to have a think about what savoury food you could eat on the go which you can stomach and give you energy  - and cheer you up when the going gets tough (mini pork pies work). Practice with it as much as you can. In fact, practice everything as much as you can as this will give you more confidence on the day.

Getting some long distance practice will also help mentally.

Good luck!

• Options

Check out what food will be provided - there are two hot meal stops as well as others offering cakes, biscuits, fruit, etc.  Unless you are quite picky you are unlikely to need to bring your own.   Although they do suggest a packed lunch you probably will not need even this.

• Options

thank you again everyone for all your tips, I am definitely not picky about my food, my mums a catering manager so I eat anything and everything.

I have heard nuts and seeds are quite good for eating on the go so I am going try these out and some one said Percy pigs to haha.

I have found quiet a good link on the bbc cooking website about running foods and they do day to day ones too so I am going to give these a go to see how it works out like some have said everyone is different so it is going to be a case of trial and error.

one last quick thing do any of you have a good place where I can look for stretching advice, or do you have any you think work well?

Thanks again everyone!

• Options

Not sure how much stretching you need to do, warm up with a 2-5 min brisk walk is probably all you need and has less risk of pulling something. 

• Options

Richard, 

Ive run the london to brighton ultra a couple of times the first one as my first ultra with not much training.

The one bit of advice I would give you is carry warm gear for towards the end, as you get closer to brighton the wind will be coming off the sea and cools you down very quickly.

Even at that time of year when the sun goes down you will get cold very quickly, a guy I ran with dropped out 7 miles from brighton as he ran in a vest, once we got over the downs we lost the protection from the wind, it was so cold he just could function and we had to call the medics.

You'll do it, just eat loads, stay warm, keep positive and pace yourself.

• Options
    GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

I'd be interested at your perception of "jogging" pace. I call "jogging" anywhere between 9-12 min/mile depending on terrain, slower than that and I'm walking which is 15-20 min/mile again depending on terrain.

so, at a pessimistic 5mph, (12 min/mile) jog 100k comes up in around 12-13 hours, half the 35-hour cut-off time! 

as others have said, you need to focus on walking for long periods because, believe me - that's what you'll be doing to finish this thing. If you go out fast then it'll be a long, long and possibly painful day or two...

At walking pace, you can pretty much eat anything as you'll be able to digest it.

I am interested as I'm planning to "run" this route solo and unsupported in the next few months. I'd estimate sub-15 hours for a fairly relaxed effort based on my previous results and experience over this sort of terrain image

• Options

There are some stretching tips on the asics26.2 part of the RW site but any general book will give you some ideas.  I always have a good stretch after any session, am sure it helps.

• Options

So, how's the training going?

• Options
    Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

Hi Richard. Hope you are doing well with your training.image The London to Brighton challenge looks a good one. I almost fancy doing it.

• Options

Hi Richard, I've entered with my daughter and friend. None of us have done an ultra, my daughter is a bit of a couch potato, she goes to spin class. My friend and I have a running background including a few marathons, I did an ironman 10 years ago. We plan on walking it, hopefully within 24 hours. We have started training, aiming for 3 walks a week mainly the weekend and an evening walk when we are tired after work. We are aiming for a 30 mile walk, come home, and go out a few hours later for a night walk, then another long walk the next day. This will be our longest training. My main concern is twisted ankles, I have a track record and sore feet, always a problem when I walk long distances, I may have to wear trainers

• Options
    Richard Snares wrote 

one last quick thing do any of you have a good place where I can look for stretching advice, or do you have any you think work well?

hi Richard,

well done for setting yourself a truly difficult challenge!

for stretching I'd always recommend Brad Walkers book the Anatomy of Stretching. it has well over 100 stretches, they are well described and the drawings are excellent. 

get lots of miles in, look after yourself and ensure your diet is the best it can be and you'll give yourself the best chance possible.

• Options

I've also signed up to this and finding all your info very helpful. hope the training is going well I haven't run for two weeks due to knee issues (patellar traking and ramping the mileage up too quickly)but will get back to it Sunday after another day of rest. good luck