Options

Friday 2nd January 2015

Lyrics:
When I wake up in the mornin' light

Well, I got another session on the rollers yesterday, they are a really useful tool for an interrupted session. So I made bread at the same time. First bosh was 13 minutes, second was 18 minutes. Bizarrely I finished in complete control, slowed down and leaned to my left (towards the very solid work bench). Only to fall onto the car bonnet. I may have to think this one out.

Chesty cold is still heavy, but I can manage this light exercise. 

Respect for Donaldo for planning a whole year without alcohol. I'll admit to you guys that I currently struggle to achieve 5 days without, and the holidays have been somewhat fuelled...This explains my weight issue. Perhaps a 5/2 alcohol free diet would be good.

Comments

• Options

Morning.

Blisters - I usually only drink on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday night at most. It's not that I drink a lot, a glass of red is usually enough for me, but I found I was habitually having a glass with my dinner rather than having a drink because I wanted one. I like your multitasking. Hope the car bonnet and you are none the worse.

Do you think you'll miss the booze Donaldo?

How much are you hoping to raise Alex? Is there a personal connection to the charity? I do find that raising funds for Macmillan at VLM each year helps get me out of the door when the weather's bad - though that may mean on the treadie.

What:                  short and easy
    Why:                   easy is what I do
    Last hard:           not being able to do
    Last rest:            28/12

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

Morning!

Lyrics: think so. Was going to start the thread with some Neil Sedaka lyrics given that I am 16 today. Reversed.

What: a gentle half hour off road
    Why: easy few days. Will just run how I feel.

Last hard: was fitting lots of ks in during December
    Last rest: Aug 2nd

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    LOL, currently on 27 years of No alcohol and counting, the first new year was the worst bit image

What: 6 miles running d&d

bike ride

Why: it is quite normal

Last hard: yesterday in Welsh Wales

Last rest: NYE

Lyrics: No
  • Options
    alex_halex_h ✭✭✭

Morning all

LMH - Re: drinks, I intend that to be my limit from now on - Weekends only. We were exactly the same, having a wine or beer in the evenings. Only one or two, but too frequently and out of habit. We've done it before, so can do again. It does mean that I look forward to it on the weekend though! So I fall into Blisters's camp.

There is a personal connection to the charity. My nephew was diagnosed with Cancer in the middle of last year at 5 months old. He has had surgery and just finished his Chemo before Christmas. All signs are positive at the moment and we have fingers crossed for the all clear next week. The charity have been absolutely brilliant with my sister and I think that it would have been infinitely more difficult without their support and knowledge. Hoping to raise whatever I can, but I must raise £350 for the velothon as I have a sponsored place through them. By doing the two events, I am hoping that people will bump up their contributions...especially as I am so out of shape at the moment!image

Gobi - 27 years is impressive. As you say though, there is a point where anything becomes normal - training, not drinking, healthy diet etc. I can imagine that the beginning was the hardest!

Alehouse - Happy birthday! You've earned your easy few days!

What: something - stretching/core at minimum or easy 5k run
    Why: Base building but not rushing
    Last hard: Yesterdays wind making the rain feel like pins in my face
    Last rest: 2014
    Lyrics: Yes

• Options
    DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

I went nearly 6 months without booze in 2012 and intended to never drink again - but that never quite worked.  I think there will be times when I will miss it, like birthdays or celebrations or date-nights but to be honest, we get on better as a couple when we are sober!!  I think that, because I know that I won't drink till at least Jan 1 2016, it just won't be a factor for the year.  Kudos to Gobi for not drinking at all!

Weight:  now this is a bigger problem.  I haven't been training well for a month and of course, my eating and drinking habits haven't changed.  I've put on 10 pounds in December - and I bet it will take more than a month to shift that!!!  Really annoyed at myself but the lack of booze now will help when I try to lose it.

Lyrics, yes! image

Alehouse - Happy Birthday!! 

• Options

What: 2015 mojo yet to surface
    Why: gale force sleet and hail
    last rest: yesterday
    last hard: finding mojo! image
    lyrics: no

Birthday lunch with middle daughter may brighten up day.

Alcohol not a big issue for me - although I like a drink I can often go a month without a drink and not notice it.

Happy birthday Alehouse! image

• Options

Morning again!

OH: was thinking how windy you might be finding it when I was almost blown to a standstill on the banks this morning! Is it your daughter's birthday, also?

What: 7.16k off road. Blustery. An inadvertent fartlek!
    Why: what we do!

Annual weigh in shortly!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Hiya,
    Having gone from drinking every day until I was about 30, usually to excess, I'm an infrequent drinker these days. I still enjoy a few beers with mates / wife / family if the occasion presents itself, but don't tie myself to weekends only or once a week, life is too unpredictable. Sometimes it can be 3 or 4 times a week and then nothing for a month.
    Hardly drank this holiday period, but if we'd had a house full or been out at a party, it would have been different!
    Simply put though, a decent ale tastes miles better than soft drinks!

Wabo - still in shock from the footy?
    Ale - happy birthday
    lyric- believe so

what - easy couple of miles + stretching
    why - recovery, county xc tomorrow
    last rest - last year
    last hard - yesterday's long run

• Options
    Morning,

Yesterday lyrics: New Year's Day by U2.

Working later.

Today's lyrics: Yup

Catch up
  • Options

So...a disappointing 10 stone 3. Obviously put a little on over the festive period.

Aim is to get down to under 9 stone 7. Was that at 50.
    9 stone 2 at 40.
    8 stone 7 at 30.8 stone 2 at my lightest as an adult to make the bantamweight division for weightlifting.

Dustin: the whole of the football world is in shock after yesterday's result, not just Wabo!

• Options

Happy Birthday Alehouse!

I don't mind not drinking at all but I do enjoy the ones I have.

Wow Donaldo - 10lbs in a month! I thought I was doing badly with my 5kg in three months. Whilst still 5kg above racing weight I managed to lose a little over the festive period and now have 3kg to go before I'm at a comfortable winter weight - though of course I'd like to be rid of it all by VLM.

Glad to hear that your nephew is doing well Alex, I'm sure you'll make your £350 comfortably.

Hope you have a nice lunch OH.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options

Hiya all.

happy birthday alehouse.

I have been tee total, as of NYE, 5 years now.  Don't miss it in the slightest and the sligth desire I have to taste beer is dealt with with erdinger alchohol free beer.

what- 5 miles nice and easy D+D then a 1 hour swim at lunch before I go into work.

why- following my training plans orders!

last hard- xmas day

last rest- 23rd dec

• Options

Fortunately for her, daughter's BF enjoys cooking. January 2 is a lousy day for birhday in Scotland.

• Options

January 2nd has always been a lousy day for a birthday, OH! Not as bad now I am older!

• Options

Hi All

Been awhile since I posted here, but I need some motivation to keep up the training through the new year. Nice to see some of the same people still here.

What : 6M recovery AM, 8M PM
    Why : Marathon yesterday and base 
    Last Hard : 31/12/14
    Last Rest :30/12/14

• Options

Good to see you again Joe! How many marathons is that now?

• Options

70 & 71 at the Liverbird Double image.

• Options

So how many are planned for 2015, Joe?!

• Options

You guys with your massive numbers of marathons are amazing!  I'm only at 3 and that seems enough.  70 and 71 is just insane!

• Options

Alot , I have a plan but will keep it to myself for the moment to see how feasible it is.  

• Options

Say hi when you next meet Plodding Hippo. I gather that she's on 300+ now, and goodness only knows how many Shades has done.

That's good training the day after a marathon, (or was it a double?).

I'm feeling pleased with myself for achieving 6.6 miles run this afternoon. The cough/lurgy appears to be dissipating. I've only had 2 paracetamol first thing this morning, nothing since. For the past few days I was absolutely maxed and counting the hours until the next dose.
    HRM confirmed that I was in the comfort zone 8:20m/m at 131avHR.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Alcohol, is as and when, some weks it may me 2-3 drinks, sometimes it can be months... have not been excessive since 2003

Rest day and Massage today, Hants XC Chapms tomorrow

Happy Birthday Ale

Good to see you posting in here Joe

Take care

• Options
    DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

7.2 miles in just over 53 mins today - cold wind out there but the sun was shining for most of it. image

• Options

Evening all

What: 9-11pm work

Why: because I have to!

Lyrics- Nope

my mate is picking me up tomorrow (saving the walk into work). SO hopefully I can sneak in a run before my next long shift.

hmmmm I have found that I have been drinking more and more alcohol since starting to work. Port is delicious.... A bit afraid to weigh myself yet!! I reckon I have put on a few just due to non exercise and rotten shifts!

Snowboarding soon though image. My first France trip and first time i will see proper snow!

• Options

Lyrics: a one hit wonder from 1976. "Jeans" by David Dundas (apparently). Picked up and used for about 15 years as a tune for a whole series of adverts. It still seems fresh today.

With tomorrow's forecast I've set the bike up on the turbo in the man cave. The wife has left me a stack of 4 towels. FOUR! It looks like I'll need an extra DVD!