Options

Recovery after pneumonia

Hi.

I'd appreciate anyone's personal experience of getting back into regular running after pneumonia, especially anyone over 50.

I'm currently recovering from a nasty chest infection, which my GP now thinks was probably pneumonia (I had seen another emergency GP when I was treated for the original infection). I've basically been "out of action" for nearly 4 weeks and although I'm fortunately now in the recovery stage I still have some lingering symptoms and am doing nothing strenuous yet. 

Before this happened, I had been running between 30 and 35 miles a week for about 20 years, including regular racing and speedwork and had been lucky with illness and injury.

While I know I will have to proceed very cautiously when I do start running again, I'd welcome any first hand experience of how long it might take before I am roughly back to where I was, as it's always good to have a (realistic) target in mind.

Comments

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well I'm over 50 and had something similar recently. I should say that it was a mild version of what I had in 1989. 

Its really a wait and see job. I picked up the bug before Christmas and only today did I decide I could risk pushing the pace for a few seconds. Until then it had been jogging only, within a framework of finishing feeling well.

What I noticed was that for a set effort, only a certain speed emerged. Then one day for the same effort (easy) I found I was running faster. I imagine it was the bugs effects diminishing.

Good luck with the recovery. Take it easy.

🙂

• Options

Hi Ric - thank you very much for your reply.

My specification of "over 50" was a bit arbitrary, but I'm aware that recovery from even minor injury or illness takes longer as you get older and I didn't want too optimistic a scenario !

I'll certainly follow your advice about taking it easy. I've mentally "pencilled in" late March/early April for returning to racing (giving me a couple of months + to get back to full fitness) but I'll have to see how it goes.

• Options

I had pneumonia just under two years ago.  I actually tried to run Brighton marathon with it (didn't know I had it at that stage.)

It took me approx 5 weeks until I felt up to running again and probably a couple of months before I felt I was back to where I was before.  It wasn't the easy runs that were the issue it was the faster stuff that took a while to come back.

As RicF says take it very easy for a few weeks and build up slowly. 

• Options

Well I'm early 40's but I was diagnosed with a chest infection in December which unfortunately turned into bilateral pneumonia leaving me hospitalised for 10 days over New Year.  I've been off work now for 2 weeks and have just been signed off for another week as still not great.  They told me it could take 6 months before your lungs fully recover. 

I've suffered a lot from chest infections over the last few years so a bit prematurely perhaps I promised the wife and family that I'm going to stop running for the year to see if my health improves.  I'm hoping at my follow up appointment next month the doctor might have some ideas on how I can prevent the chest infections and help me change their minds so I can go back to runningimage 

That said the events I am registered for from Feb - Apr I'm already looking to defer or get refunds where I can as I'm not walking that far at the moment so jogging isn't going to be anytime soon.

Good luck on yor recovery.

• Options

I'm in my 20s was hospitalised with pneumonia last year. Took about 8 weeks before I could do any exercise. I still get breathless easily and am only just starting to build my fitness back up. 

• Options

Thanks to all for your replies. Runloz - I hope you are able to get back running very soon; your story puts my (hopefully) temporary "downtime" into perspective.

The message is very clear - come back slowly and be very patient. I've also been looking for advice on the internet and the "Livestrong" website recommends a week of 20 - 30 minute walking followed by (assuming no adverse reaction) starting to run slowly for 25% of your pre-illness times (i.e. if you usually ran for an hour steady, start at 15 minutes).

At first, I thought that sounded unnecessarily cautious, but I think the danger of pushing too hard too soon is such that it's better to proceed too slowly rather than risk a relapse.

I'm planning a 30 minute walk tomorrow and I'll take it from there.

• Options

P.S. I'll be thinking of my fellow Kent based X-C runners tomorrow morning;wading through the 4 feet deep dykes at Minnis Bay. Definitely not for me this year !image

• Options

I had pneumonia over Christmas just gone...I'm 40 and before I was totally immersed in cross country season. I haven't run since the cough developed a week before Christmas and im on my last antibiotic today, I've been off work since Christmas.  I'm hardly coughing at all now and went to watch the cross country yesterday rather than participate, which was frustrating but sensible.  I did feel tired after an hour or so standing/walking around (it wasn't too cold) and my shouts of support started to feel laboured so I know I need another week off and just do some extra walking until I don't get the tiredness.  I'm just worried having heard about it develop into pleurisy so all the cross countries I had in Jan I think I may scrap as they take a lot out of you...it's not worth it.  My whole life outside work is very centred around running, my social life line is my club and running friends so I can't risk getting a relapse. I empathise with anyone recovering from it...just be sensible I think is the key message. 

• Options

Thanks for this post, I'm wondering the same thing. Turned 45 on Tuesday 10 Jan, on Wednesday 11th, came down with WORST chest infection ever. Usually I ping illnesses off. Got races booked in Feb and March but am thinking at the moment I can barely walk fast without feeling grim (first 30-minute walk this morning = dizzy). Might just walk/jog for a few weeks, cancel the races. Decided to play the long game with my running (i.e. make sure it's something I can enjoy when I'm 85!) and not push it. Hope your recovery goes well. I think winter running is tough on the old throat and lungs. All that cold air. Am sounding very old now... jeez image

• Options
    I have a similar situation. I was diagnosed with Pneumonia in Feb 16. It took a long time to get rid of the infection. The consultant saw a lot of scar tissue in my lungs until Oct 16. I don't seem to have recovered completely. I have never regained my pre-pueumonia speed running wise. At times I seem to have a tight chest and sometimes when I run it feels like my chest is going to explode. I have not gone back to my GP, as they misdiagnosed me originally and they don't take me seriously. Has anyone else discovered that they are slower post pneumonia?
  • Options
    David, I have just read through this really useful post and responses as am in the same position - Returning to running after bacterial pneumonia and pleurisy. I responded well to the treatment - I think the prior running/fitness helped - also mine was bacterial based rather than any other underlying illness. I am up to 15m per week now at week 6, no discomfort but as per other posts speed is poor. My plan is a gradual return but have a half marathon in 2 months - which I think I am fine to aim for but would ideally like to get back to the 30+ miles per week to prep for that half. So I just wondered how did your recovery pan out. The half is a social thing so I won't go mad and just see how I feel on the day. However am now looking at the training recovery curve so interested to see what others have experienced. So how did you get on in that month 1 to 3 period. Thanks