Options

RW F7 – Complete in one piece

RW F7 – Complete in one piece

Seren with BecksF & Em-68

Hi, my name’s Becks and I would love to get round a marathon! I’m relatively new to running (saw this competition on the *GULP just entered my first marathon* thread...that says it all!), always been pretty active but started running 2 years ago when was looking for a way to help me lose 3 stone. This achieved I carried on, managing 2 10k’s in 2014 in under an hour.

Em-68
I'm a 46 year old, overweight (although losing) runner with about a year's running experience. In January 2014 I set myself the goal of running a half marathon. I lost 3 stone and ran the Royal Parks Half in 2 hours 34. This was on injured achilles tendons - should have pulled out but I'd been sponsored £1000 to do it. Although slower than I'd have liked, I got round without stopping and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Comments

• Options

To clarify, these ladies were so similar in their experiences and pitches that it was so hard to seperate
    I know Seren is as mad as a box of frogs and she will look after you well and you will also be able to spur each other on day to day

Good luck ladies !!

• Options

Hi both.... 

amazing job on the weightloss  both of you... Will inspire me to lose the Christmas weight.

which marathons have you entered and what is your basic training week like at the moment  image

any recent races and any others planned  image

• Options
    Oh my god thank you! I have very limited training at the moment, up to 5 miles but trying to take it very steady due to a twinge in my foot (trying to work out whether it is a test or work through issue!) I have a 5k 'brutal' run for next weekend planned, apart from that nothing and the reading half marathon at the end of March!
  • Options

Becks... learning the difference between niggles that you can run through and those you can't is one of the hardest things...

which marathon have you entered  image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Seren does the double! image Excellent choices.
  • Options

and anyone else hoping to just complete....please join in with support

• Options

Oh wow! That's fantastic - thanks! image Hi Seren and Becks pleased to virtually meet you both image

As far as training goes, I've just finished week 9 of a Garmin beginners half marathon plan. It's 3 runs a week, at the moment one is a 45 minute steady run, one is 35-40 minutes of interval training and today was a 10 mile long run. (1:56 mins)

I'm running the Cambridge half on March 8th.

Then the Milton Keynes marathon on May 4th.

My reasoning behind doing a half marathon plan was that I'd been injured over the summer, done the Royal Parks half and then a 10K in November on very painful heels and then had a break and wanted to ease back in slowly - hence only 3 runs a week. The Cambridge half is 8 weeks before the MK marathon, so it fits in well as a training run.

So, do what you will with me, Seren! - I'm looking forward to some hard work!

• Options
    I haven't actually entered a marathon as yet, not brave enough to do one without some support - now there's no excuse! Was looking at the Thames meander....
  • Options

Well done guys! Good luckimage

• Options

Becks.. thats your first task. choose and enter a marathon. You need one so that you can focus and aim towards an event image

• Options

Hi Em.. if I'm right is it 15 weeks till your marathon  How are the heels now. Are you painfree with them 

• Options

well done on what you've acheived so far Becks and Em, and all the best with your training.

you're in safe hands with Seren - she'll see you right!

• Options

I am pain free, although they are sometimes a little stiff. I've only just started to introduce intervals and think it might be worth leaving them out and just getting the miles in?

• Options

Thanks Rich and Pudge! image

• Options

Lots and lots and lots of eccentric calf raises ... and then some more image

• Options

Em.. agree with meldy on the calf raises.and unless you really love doing intervals i would leave them off the programme . Ensuring the heel improves and doesn't get worse is the first priority...

doing one or two slow/ steady runs instead would be more beneficial to you. image

for both of you. Do you ever do parkruns or have access to parkruns. 

• Options
    Don't do a park run but do have access to one image
  • Options

Same here, don't do it - but it's only a 5 minute walk away.

will calf raise and leave out intervals. Thanks for confirming that.

• Options

Good luck, you can never do enough calf raises!

• Options

To me the main thing in marathon training is to try and keep injury free. If you havent got years of training in your legs its best to keep the miles nice and slow or steady and to build them up slowly. time on your feet is very important.

but parkruns can be a great way of still getting some quicker running in without the start stopping of intervals. so a mile warm up and then a brisk parkrun and a cool down can be a great way of doing some faster training...

this obviously doesn't fit in if you can only do your longruns on a saturday..

what days do you ladies do your long runs and how many other things in your lives have an effect on when and how often you can train  image

lots of questions to start with  image

• Options

I generally do my long run on Sundays.

Things that interfere: I have a dog who needs walking twice a day - or one long walk at the weekend. My OH can do that if I get pushed for time.

My mid-week runs are currently early morning after I've walked the dog... I could run after work. I have a treadmill at home that I use if it's too dark/slippery outside - and a cross trainer - which was useful when I was injured

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Well done both of you! You have a great mentor there!

Be prepared to be poked and prodded image

• Options
    I do my long run either saturday or Sunday. I also compete showjumping and work full time so have 2-3 horses to fit in and ride as well, I usually do my long run the day of the weekend I'm not jumping. I fit my runs in either early morning if they're shorter or after finishing the horses in the evening (about 9pm ish). I also have a treadmill I can use however and exercise bike.
  • Options

Morning! It's a chilly one out there. Dog walked and calf raises done. image

Something else I've thought about - I'm still trying to lose a chunk of weight, so any nutritional advice would be welcomed!

• Options

Ah I'm with Em - could do with losing approx another stone (ish) but without taking too much away from my runs! Have been using the 5:2 and doing diet days on rest/cross training days...?

And Hi and thank you to everyone who has popped in to say hi, the more support (and motivation) the better!

• Options

Morning.. re weight loss. i need to lose a stone as well. One idea could be to each morning write down your meal and snack plan for the day on the thread. So its written down  you should be more likely to stick to it.

The idea will not be for us to pick each others meal plans apart because you have both done well with the weightloss so you know what you should do to lose it. You just need some new motivation..

regarding the running... after each long run make sure you refuel quickly afterwards.. a milkshake  or something similar..

• Options

Seren - Love that idea for the meal plan. Today - lunch will be eggs on toast, then will have a banana after my run (around 7ish) then out for dinner at yo sushi.

Also aiming for half marathon in march, then full mara August. How long would you say to be running each week/long run?

• Options

breafast  lowfat sausage sandwiches
    snack  grapes
    lunch    pate on toast
    snacks    cleminties
    dinner pork curry and rice..

there its written down will stick to it  image

• Options

.Em.. Not sure what the next week for your schedule on the half plan is.

but maybe try and fit in 3 runs in the week between 2 and 6 miles. whatever fits in for you..... and then add amile  to the long run...

what are your thoughts on your trainiung for the next few weeks..

• Options

backs... I think you should try and get into the routine of running 4 times a week if yoiu can fit it in ready for the marathon..It can be done on 3 but i think 4 makes a difference if you can.

3 of them in the week could be anything between 2 and 5 miles now . keep them steady to make sure there is no problems. and then try and do 6 on the weekend..