Options

Pirate Champs 2016

Comments

• Options
    Magna Carter wrote (see)

Been kids at most of the Pirate events I've been too...

Aren't all pirates big kids at heart?

• Options
    The Silent Assassin wrote (see)
    Magna Carter wrote (see)

Been kids at most of the Pirate events I've been too...

Aren't all pirates big kids at heart?

Fair point! image

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options
    Most kids are more sensible than Pirates ... Have you noticed non of our kids have joined in ?
  • Options

So is the Pirate champs going to be at Mallorca next year then?

• Options
    Dunno, it usually gets decided at Bala.. But there isn't really a Pirate turn out at Bala this year
  • Options

If we're not careful, the pirates will be spread across half a dozen events!

I guess the answer will be finalised at Austria at the end of June.... which discounts Lanza pretty much!

• Options
    Could we not have a vote on here

Set a date for votes to close
  • Options
    Sounds way too democratic Crooky
  • Options

Its either that, or we agree who's making the decision!

Personally, I think a vote sounds a good idea.... but its a bit different from how its been done in the past, and I wouldn't want to upset any of the old hands!

• Options

Someone call?? 

• Options

Wind her neck in 

personally I would like to think that we would nominate a race and everyone would follow along and enter that race, I do however think that (at the moment) most peop,e would do the race they fancy

putting it to the vote is an idea but you still run the risk of 19 people voting for Vichy and 21 voting for Mallorca and nothing changing numbers wise ....

personally I am favouring Mallorca for the late season effort for once,

Vichy is a close second as there have been good reports and Barcelona as it is quick

why not vote on the 3 giving points 3, 2, 1 ... Best being 3 

• Options
    Following on from yesterday's discussion with Alex, the thought of doing some training in better weather is appealing
  • Options

What month is Vichy & Barcelona?

• Options

End of August and start of Oct respectively

• Options

Ok, so both quite late as well !!

• Options

yep... I like the idea of Mallorca, but any of them would be OK.

• Options

3,2,1 scoring sounds good.... let's give it a day or two for people to object to the idea of a vote if they want to, and then (asuming there aren't any big objections) I'll put together a quick SurveyMonkey survey, and we can get a decision made.

• Options

Putting to the vote is all well and good, democracy and all that but do you just get the lowest common denominator?  Are the people voting committed to entering their chosen event or committed to going with the majority decision.

Similar things happened when Henley was eventually chosen and in the end about 8 people raced there.  There were those singing the praises of Henley, how cheap it was, UK based yada, yada, yada but they didn't enter.

Im not saying a small minority should railroad others or that the decision lies with a small group.  Successful pirate championships choice is usually made by achieving a critical mass of support, a good sales pitch and a majority brought on board to support it.

It also means people nailing their colours to the mast, 'I fancy this, that and the other doesn't do that'. 

I don't think the Pirate Championships should be about the most popular event , if it was it'd be Outlaw every year.  To me its always been about a bit of an adventure, somewhere that has an appeal (for whatever reason).  A

Anyway, those are just few of my musings and thoughts.

PS.  Western Australia for 2017 image

• Options

I think that Vichy would be a good call, not been done before at a champs before, not expensive (entry or travel). School holidays will make it much easier for alot of people and the half distance the day before means that other half's, retired and those working up to full distance can join in.

I agree (with Barley, oh no) a critical mass is needed otherwise we could end up with another Henley, a couple of lists or a vote type thing could prove the mass has been achieved for a certain race but a majority vote maybe a step too far after all we are pirates.

• Options

Barlos, that was kind of what I was saying regards voting but we'll reach stalemate 

Scuba, I was having similar thoughts regards the half at Vichy too...

• Options
    Just to add my bit....however the voting goes if we go for Vichy I'll be there and racing it and if it goes for Mallorca I won't. Whenever we do races we do it as a family thing with my kids and wife enjoying the spectating and us travelling to the race in a motorhome. A motorhome for Mallorca doesn't really work. A motorhome for Western Australia really, really, really doesn't work!

Even if the Pirates don't go to Vichy there's a fair chance I will. I'd like to do an IM branded race and Bolton doesn't do it for me and Tenby would be hard to do as the kids are back at school then, they won't take a day off (I'd let them) and they want to come too.

I'm not sure I've added anything here apart from emphasising that personally I'd very much like it to go to Vichy!!
  • Options

What a top idea having the half the same weekend at Vichy also. I like that. Watching you tube videos it looks pretty too image

• Options

Well, its certainly got the debate started! image

Personally, I'm not that fussed where it is, as long as we're all generally heading to the same event, and not spread across three or four.... hence the enthusiasm to not let it drift with people starting to commit to different venues.

I guess, Mallorca has family appeal, Vichy is good for travel, and for me personally, Barcelona is easy, as my parents live a few minutes from Calella, so makes it cheap!

As per Barlos' point.... I'll go wherever the ship sails, as for me, the event is made by the pirates.

• Options

It's previously been the case that those who were on the sailing of the previous year decided where the next one would be, going back a few of years. Lanza became the defacto (sp?) championship race due to what happened at Henley as Barley mentioned above and the debate was had on the celebration day resulting in France, pretty much same last year pre-race that we'd go to Austria this year, on that basis it's in the hands of those who make the effort to support Pirate events. If the likely options are late-season then there's no chance of missing the boat with Austria being a good month or so before opening of the contenders.

By the way, I have no vested interest in 2016 as I'll be doing a Robinson Crusoe, so you can go where you like image

• Options
    TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭

Vichy looks good but I think it's a 16hr cut off, but it does have a 70.3 and full distance the same weekend to give a lot of choice to people.

Anyone know what accommodation is like in the area?

• Options
    16 hour cut of just focuses the mind. IM Nice was 16 last year
  • Options
    TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭

stops the picnic and faffing around in transitions.

• Options

speak for yourself.... I look forward to having a read of the paper in T1.... image

• Options
    I managed to get the jelly fish sting on my face looked at in T1 last year at Nice, so I missed out on eating my breakfast.. Spent all the way down the prom stuffing scoff down