Options

Anyone else Hate running

Comments

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Wtn,

Yes, means to an end. Its as good a reason as any to get out there and run. The reason I described the out and out competitor like I did, is because I've yet again bumped into an individual who seems to think I should (in running) defer to the fact that a pb he did (5 miles) is still faster than my pb.

The fact he hasn't run for 20 years despite being around my age seems to escape him.

I've been going for nearly 28 years now. I can run faster now than I did when I started and I wasn't that slow to start with (1:28:33 HM after 17 wks training).

I like running, but I don't like pain. So I don't hurt myself. Good tough training might involve some effort but not pain. I don't run through injuries, I try to avoid getting them to start with. 

The more competitive types simply treat injuries as just another hurdle to overcome in pursuit of their ambition. They quite often get away with it, and trumpet their methods as the definitive way of doing things. The reality is they gambled and won. They don't last. Three years of success via physical abuse and they're finished.

🙂

• Options
    asitisasitis ✭✭✭

Hate running or the concept of continuous regime to fulfil an over ambitious illusion that quickly dissipated like a fallen rock in a pond,

Indeed carry on at your peril. Feel free to moan, a self righteous justification to make yourself feel better in your days of moral dilemma.

Or you can just say I cannot be arsed anymore. Like most in life, tried it, done it, a berry in my cap... Don't blame yourself, Its human nature.... I wonder if ill be any good at tennis or cycling.

I ran in the rain and snow.... o look at me

10 stone blokes putting one foot in front of another detailing their 10-20 mile runs at xyz pace.... o look at me.

I sat on my arse for years but now im running...o look at me ( I cannot do it without you )

Seeking comfort, Justification, Reasoning. Like you feel you have to prove something

seen so many of you 99.99 % its so boring and predictable.

Enjoy your fads while it lasts.

Its either in you or not, Don't confuse excuses with reasons

• Options

Today I spent just over 4 hrs in the company of some folks I'd heard of, but never met before, who are well known runners. We bimbled along the west hghland way for just over 18 miles in the bright crisp snowy sunshine. Talk about feeling alive! This is a feeling you can't get by slogging out the intervals on a track. The running is a way to be able to join in these fantastic days out.

Yes- I enter races, I'm crap, I come in the last 10%. It's fun. I feel much better for it.

If I hated it , I'd bin it.

Either try a different type of running, or find sone other way to keep fit. Life is too short.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Wenterrapin- needing others to tell you to stop running is silly. Did you need others to tell you to start running? And being told to jog on is not the same thing! image
  • Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Oh and for you folks who enjoy running, I hope your long run is a goon one!
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Just popping out for my run Gideon. It's freezing cold and blowing a gale outside.
  • Options

I love running. But I think I'm unusual in that I much prefer the training to the racing.  Racing is too intense and stressful, and frequently leaves you disappointed, whereas training is chilled and pleasant. Anyone else feel the same?

• Options

I like training and racing, Andrew, but I don't like racing cross country, which is cold, miserable and difficult.

Edit: I do it anyway though, so perhaps I'm just as much of an idiot as Wenty. image

• Options

No, I'm with you on cross country. Miserable.

• Options
    What's different about x country? I would have thought that was more pleasent and scenic.

At least some people are doing things they don't like so makes me feel better.
  • Options

Laps of a muddy park with as many hills and bogs as possible thrown in, Wenty. Also it is cold and there are no proper facilities. And the mud and hills sap all your strength so you're working as hard as you can and not even hitting MP even though your lungs are burning. Then you finish and you are covered in mud and so are all your clothes and shoes and you have get changed in an open-sided tent, in Scotland, in winter. image

• Options
    Hmm I will def give the x country a miss ! I hate getting dirty more than running. It was the worse part of playing rugby and why I preferred cricket.

My mates keep trying to let me to do hell runner and tough mudder. All the fun of running and getting dirty wet cold and electrocuted thrown into the mix .
  • Options

Aw man I LOVE XC!!!! Yeah sure it's cold, wet, miserable, muddy and you run around hyperventilating like a chronic asthmatic feeling like your lungs are going to explode and wondering why your legs feel like lead and when the measly 4km (or whatever distance) is going to be over.... but then you get to the end and realise how much FUN it was to splash in all the mud and puddles... all the while actually coughing up your lungs. Changing in the open sided tent afterwards is the least of my worries image The guy in our club who deals with the XC always tries to arrange extra mud for me image It's my favourite time of year... and it coincides with cyclocross season which is like the same thing... on a bike which isn't too far from a road bike in appearance imageimage... Did I say I like MUD???

Wenterrapin... nothing scenic about running in and around a suburban country park/schol playing fields or similar...

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I loved my long run today. 12 slovenly miles in the cold windy outdoors! I had more layers than an onion! Wa hey!

It was great to just plod Along pondering all manner of nonsense on a new route. Ihats off to you XC runners, I love running but I am not keen on mud
  • Options
    You lot are bonkers.....and I thought I was the one with the problems. Lol.
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)

I like running because I like being fit and in shape and can do this without much effort. I'm not so keen on competition if not in good shape, because I'm not the sort to go in a race and not give 100%. But basically I'm a runner.

There's some on this forum who run/train in order to compete. They don't like running. Running is a means to an end. They stick to training programs and relate how they fear, hate and dread what is next on the list. A session is something to endure and get out of the way. 

They are the sort who have two or three years burning everyone up, and then bugger off back to football or golf. They end up 20 years down the line, 8 stone overweight telling anyone in range how they used to beat xy &z at running.

Meanwhile xy & z are still running and competing and not overweight. They like running. They are runners. 

I wouldn't know how to describe the other guy. Not my area.

Andrew Thomas 34 wrote (see)

I love running. But I think I'm unusual in that I much prefer the training to the racing.  Racing is too intense and stressful, and frequently leaves you disappointed, whereas training is chilled and pleasant. Anyone else feel the same?

Other way round for me.  I love racing.  The training is a means to race well.  Sure, I like to just run sometimes, and feel grumpy if I don't for a couple of days, but generally I enjoy racing far more than training.  Of course, this makes me exactly the kind of chap that Ric is talking about, and therefore not a runner.  As a result I probably won't still be plodding round a cross-country course aged 65.  However, I won't be playing football or golf either, unless it's on a Playstation.

• Options

I love running, all the bloody time.  It's soooo relaxing.

https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/s960x960/10900226_10153011939884595_5390311011958477117_o.jpg

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dachs, you'll have to read my disclaimer of sorts in my next post.

🙂

• Options

I think you're in it for the apres run Phil image

• Options

The shorts look particularly indecent in that photo. image

• Options

Shorts?!  I thought I'd spilt my orange SIS Go gel.

• Options

You pacing London marathon again this year Phil? Still wearing indecent shorts as well!!

One thing running is not its relaxing! Sitting in a hot tub sipping G&T is relaxing, or sun lounger in the sun, or even watching TV or reading a book. Slogging my guts out, running 26 miles is the opposite end of the spectrum.

I'm with Dachs except I dont like racing either! Screamapiller, I think the best part of running is the apres run! image

• Options

Phil - thats nothing to laugh about I split some gels in my back pocket at florence marathon a couple of months ago.. It was gross, gel was almost running down my leg and i kept using the sponges at the refreshing stations to squeeze water into my pocket to clean up. At the end of the race the gel had gone hard and stuck hairs on my legs (and other places) together.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Jesus phil, those shorts are real veg skimmers.  Barely keeping the sprouts covered In that photo.

im with Dachs. I train as a means to an end.  There are some sessions I really enjoy but majority are a chore. However I really enjoy racing and the challenges that brings. Setting goals and chasing them down.

• Options
    Wenterrapin wrote (see)

You pacing London marathon again this year Phil? Still wearing indecent shorts as well!!

Yep, just waiting for confirmation on what pace I'm doing, but 2:59 again hopefully.

As a whole I love the entire package of running and the end results, but not all the "in-the-present" experiences are altogether enjoyable.  As someone else has mentioned, despite not looking forward to some particular training sessions or even dreading them, I've never got back from a run and regretted doing it. But there are times when it is relaxing, when an easy run without a watch just feels like a breeze and helps me get in touch with my inner-hippy without having to smoke the good stuff.

*ahem*

• Options
    Agree with that. Sometimes I can't be arsed to get out there, or dread a particularly hard track or hill session, but I always feel good after a run.

I've just come back from a 2 month injury lay off, you don't know how much you love it until you can't do it.

On XC - I love it. Hampshire league and Southern league are great fun, tough but usually scenic and some technical courses.

Running for a club with some really good people has only made me want to run more and run better. The social side of it is good fun too.
  • Options

Certainly hate when I'm once again faced with trying to work my way back to just feeling comfortable doing a parkrun before I can even target anything more than that.  Anyway, getting out there tonight so it all starts here, yet again.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    For all of us on this thread running is a hobby, from the slowest of us to the fastest of us, now of us will ever make a living at it. If you don't enjoy any of it then it is pointless. Enjoying racing is the best reason I can think of to train. But just clearing the head is a good enough reason for me to pull the shoes on for a run. That and trying to get my bodyfat down to near athlete levels.... In the great distant future. Maybe.
  • Options

Hating it a bit less - run went well tonight.  I seem to take well to a snowy evening as long as it's not too icy underfoot.

• Options
    It's interesting how as this thread has gone on people are admitting that the thought of some runs and some actual runs people don't like. Yeah I love it after I have done it. It's just the execution i struggle with.

Might meet you at London phil. Can't miss you in your loin cloth.