Options

Royal Parks Half 2015

I'm considering entering this (yes, I know, need to decide quickly!) - some questions.

In the ballot is it easy/OK/difficult to get a place?

Is it worth the gamble of paying upfront, risking losing the money but getting the second chance offer - does it significantly increase the chance of getting in?

I might also consider the charity option, but as I run to run, not to fundraise, I prefer to pay the entry fee and run if that makes sense. 

Thanks

Comments

• Options

Ballot seems quite hard to get a place from. Know lots of people with multiple rejections. No idea of the odds.

Marginally better chances with the second ballot but I would save my cash.

Charity fund raising pledges are huge for this race so worth thinking about if you really want to do it.

• Options

I joined the ballot (didnt pay) and didnt get a place image gutted! I might get a charity place now but I hate asking people for money, anyone knows any charity places with the lowest amount of funds to raise, please let me know.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    There are plenty of other half marathons available . No need to spend a fortune .
  • Options

I also didn't pay and didn't get a place, so I'm back where I started rather than being £50 down!

Agreed there are plenty of other halves, I wanted to do this because of the route - most of the good bits of VLM without the bad bits and without being 26.2m!

Charity places I've looked at want 3 or 400 in sponsorship - I also don't like asking people for money and I'm  runner not a fund raiser so prefer just to enter things and run.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Sorry John, apologies for the confusion. My comment was directed at the post directly above mine.

I completely agree with your comment.
  • Options

I think I'll go for the Swindon half-marathon that date instead.  Not done it before and it's meant to be a nice course.

• Options

i have some domestic issues at home and unlike most people its not easy for me to leave london to run a half marathon elsewhere so the royal parks would be convenient and just round the corner. what a shame.

other option would be vitality HM's in London, although the North London one is a bit too soon. 

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    There is a half marathon in Ealing and Richmond in September. Will probably work out a lot less than going down the charity route for the Royal Parks.
  • Options

Good shout Millsy - I think Ealing is end of Sept so could be a good one, followed by Swindon.

• Options
    No joy in the ballot sadly. Thinking about running through a charity, but depends on how much money you need to raise. Found one charity which has no minimum sponsorship amount, which is good, but on the down side they want ??99 for the entry fee, so not sure signing up with them.
  • Options

Hi Nick - is this for Get Kids Going? Please be careful and read this thread thoroughly before you sign up with them:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/general-running/get-kids-going/157546.html

i haven decided to run through a charity but haven't decided between Scope or Macmillan. I am a beginner runner so I want my first half marathon to be a nice big event like this to celebrate and I'm happy to fundraise. Anyone thinking of doing the same and want to help donate for one another you are weclome to PM me so we can sort something out- after all, sharing is caring as they say image

• Options
    Yes it was Get Kids Going I was referring to. Thanks for the link. I did the GNR with them last year. I had a few issues with them along the way, but mostly they were ok.

In the end I have decided to do the Royal Parks run for a different charity this time, one that has a minimum sponsorship amount of ??250 and an entry fee of ??30, which I thought was very reasonable.
  • Options

Well done for signing up, I am still undecided who to run for but will aim to do it by today!!! Good luck.

• Options
    Hello all, I am a Road Runner from Austria and I got a place in the ballot.

Last year I did the Royal Parks Ultra which is an outstanding running event. Unfortunately there is no Ultra in 2015 so I took part in the ballot for the Half. I am really looking forward meeting you in October!
  • Options
    I see that on the Royal Parks Half Marathon website that the start time for the run is TBC. Does anyone know what time last years run started please?