Options

Was arch Front 100

OK guys, I have just been drawn for this years event.

Can't give you a race report yet I'm afraid, but I will make a couple of observation.

Despite being a famous race in it's own right, it seems to be a lot easier to get into than Western States or Hardrock.

Despite having a big domestic following it attracts very few British runners, with nearly all of it's overseas contingent being Canadians.

Perhaps British ultra runners should be showing a lot more interest In this event.

Comments

• Options

Ah the joys of predictive text!

I of course meant Wasatch.

• Options
    GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

I was looking at it for 2015 but missed the lottery... I did The Bear 100 up in North Utah last in 2013 which is similar in terms of elevation and terrain. Met lots of people who'd done Wasatch.

You'll have a blast with the yanks, they've very enthusiasticimage Get used to hearing "Nice Jawb", (sic) a lot! 

• Options

Really looking forward to it.

If you want to venture any advice, I am more than interested.

• Options
    GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

If you've done a 100 already, (especially a Centurion event) then the overall setup and aid stations won't be a surprise... Expect slick organisation with loads of volunteers and supporters!

Altitude will be a factor if you're not used to it, the profile is similar to Bear - you go up to 10,000' and over 8,000' a couple of times which hurts! Be prepared for any sort of weather too, it can be very changeable around there, in 2013 we had snow and -9C temperatures - the year before it was up in the 30's... Pack everything!

Read all the blogs, it'll give you an idea of the course layout and the difficult bits. I use Google Earth with a GPX track loaded to "recce" the route before, it's a great way to visualise the terrain beforehand.

Oh, and don't waste your time over there, get off the beaten track and explore the national parks, Zion, the slot canyons, redwoods etc. Take a trip out to Lake Tahoe and do the first couple of miles of Western States 100 from the start to Emigrant Pass - awesome image

• Options

Much appreciated GeeM!