Options

Sir Terry Pratchett

Comments

• Options
    http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/news_article.php?newsID=2338

I know the link won't work but do copy and paste it into your browser to read a tribute from the Alzheimer's Society. An amazing man.
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I used to read his books to my kids, genius.

• Options

An absolutely lovely author, I will miss him dearly

• Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭

I have one TP book which i received this Christmas, which is about cats. Perhaps not his greatest opus. However, Megawomble has said today that TP's books were part of his growing up.

• Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭

And it was Miniwomble who texted to tell me of TP's demise. I did actually see the man in an interview setting on the Southbank a couple of years back. I had no idea what people were talking about. Still found it interesting.

• Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Over the years I've read most of the discworld novels. Fantasy it may be, but what overlays it all is the warm humanism and a fiercely clear and wry perception of this world. A very fine man, sadly missed. I'm sure he and Death will have a lot to talk about.
  • Options

I have read all of the discworld books and have had to replace some because they got nicked or became too dog eared.  The main recurring characters are brilliantly written and I can see someone I know in all of them.  Shame he won't be around to 'mess around' with any future screen adaptations

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

One of the authors I've always been aware of but somehow got round to, possibly because fantasy has never really been my thing. But his demise has prompted me to order a copy of The Colour of Magic. I'll see how I get on with it. I'm told that's the beginning of the Discworld series, someone correct me if not so.

• Options

Sad news, but the books will keep me smiling for many years to come.  We've started reading some to the kids too.

I think Sir Terry might have liked this

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Muttley - It is the beginning of that series.

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

somehow NOT got round to

What happened to the edit function?

• Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Suitable for advanced 8 year olds?

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I think it might be a bit too much for a kid of that age, but you never know. Tends to be something I'd associate with older kids getting absorbed with. Not so much the writing style, but some of the concepts and witticisms of the series.

• Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

Happy memories - he was guest of honour at a sf con we ran in the late 80s (iirc he was GoH at about half the conventions that year!). Not a saint or perfect but you know, who is. I remember (well before the days of GPS)(or even widespread web use) trying to find my way to a big convention center that the SF Worldcon was being held at - saw a very round chap in matching orange shorts and t-shirt - hmm, must be on the right track - then saw Terry Pratchett in his hat and the leather trousers - yes, we were definitely where we were supposed to be! image

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

a sad loss, as he was a hugely popular author.
    Personally I gave up after about 100 pages of the first book of his I tried.
    Like Muttley, the subject matter does nothing for me.

• Options

Snap, he wrote for youngsters too. We're reading the Tiffany Aching series to our two (7&9) and they love them. There are several other books for kids by him.  

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Dustin: I really struggled with the first ones, and still don't 'get' the witches. But, when he started on death and then guards, guards, I just got it and loved all the newer ones.

• Options

I've never read his stuff, but very much enjoyed the quotes posted.  What's a good book to start on?

• Options

Bear,

I'd be inclined to start with the first one 'Colour of Magic' as it will introduce you to the whole discworld universe.  

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I'm sure a lot will say start at book 1.

But personally i'd start with mort, or guards, guards. Both of them are good. If I had to say one book... then Guards, Guards.

/members/images/712846/Gallery/6241b98e13e6be139a7f2f20a3d105d6.jpg

I'm sure everyone else will have their own order, and starting at the first book isn't a bad way, it's just I find the later ones a bit easier to jump straight into.  

• Options
    AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Such a sad loss, I'm really going to miss him/his books so many stories left untold.

With where to start colour of magic and the light fantastic are the first 2 discworld books but they are parodies of the sci-fi genre, so if you're not into sci-fi you might not really "get" them.

After that it's take your pick, there's the witches theme, the Sam Vimes themes, the moist von lipwig themes, the DEATH themes. They all work well as stand alone books so have a read through till you find one that grabs you and go with it.

Also for younger ones don't forget The Carpet People and Truckers as well as the Tiffiny Aching series.

It looks like we will get one last book later this year, reading that is going to be emotional.

• Options

Buggrit buggrit buggrit.  Millennium hand and shrimp.

• Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭

It was my great pleasure recently to treat a patient (an elderly lady) with the surname 'Ogg'. She'll never know that TP was the reason she got a bit more attention than the other 20 or so patients!

Order of reading... do as you please! Personally I love DEATH, the witches and the guards.

• Options

Worked with the bloke who wrote all the companion guides a few years ago - he was a civil servant - a right nob!

• Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I'd probably agree that the very beginning maybe isn't the best place to start. As AliBear30 says the first few are more genre books and not so representative of the style and outlook of the whole series. If you haven't read Pratchett before I'd recommend Small Gods. It's one of the few "stand alone" books and is a bit of an archetype. And it's very good.
  • Options
    I really liked small gods.

Anyone read much of his non discworld books? I liked Nation when I read it. Also been working through the Long Earth series. Loved the concept, plot maybe lacking a bit but still worth a read.
  • Options

I didn't discover Terry Pratchett until I was in my late teens and they just appealed to my sense of humour.  I've only read the discworld series and am working my way through his autobiography 'a slip of the keyboard' which I just love as it's more of a series of short stories. 

My favourites are:- Witches, Carpe Jugulum (about vampires, surprise surprise), The Wintersmith, The Hogfather, Going Postal.............the list goes on and on.  Think I might read them all again, it's been a while.

A fantastic writer, he'll be sadly missed.

• Options

Started my re-read of the Discworld books last night.

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I'm told my copy of Colour of Magic has been dispatched. I wonder how I'll get on with it.