Options

Paris or Milan? help!!

Hi all. I was due to run the Two Oceans in SA on 4th April. For various reasons I am unable to go. I can however, get to a marathon on 12th April. I am tempted by Milan or Paris but have done neither before. I notice Milan is still open and paris have various charity places still avail. Has anyone got any advice on which is best to run?? I have trained well and want to run a PB if poss. have you run both? or is there one you strongly recommend?? Please advise..

Comments

• Options
    Not run either - but Paris always looks dull on TV. Milan must be nicer ?
  • Options

Thanks Cougie. I dont usually do city marathons so I can imagine that there will be an element of that. I am hoping to incorporate it into a nice weekend away too image

bet the weather will be nicer in Milan....

• Options
    I'm sure I've heard people say that they werent impressed with Paris ? (Dave was that you ?)

Yeah Milan must be nicer for weather.
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I haven't done Milan, I have done Paris though. I can see why some people might find parts of the course a bit dull but it is pretty good overall, The Arc, running down the Champs Elysees, Rue de Rivoli, alongside the Seine, Bastille,  just brilliant.  The quiet remote bits make it more of a "normal" race and you can focus on your running, often difficult when there are hordes of crowds.

I have visited Milan, not really a place I'd want to go back to, and if you are planning on looking around the city you choose while you're there, Paris would be my choice.

• Options

Thanks Puffsta

Is Paris a bit crowded? Iam thinking Great North Run volume....Really want to try a PB

What was it about Milan that didnt grab you? I have never been.I do like paris.

• Options
    MoomkinMoomkin ✭✭✭

I did Paris in 2012 and it felt it really cold at the start. However I had a full set of 'throw away' kit; (hat, gloves, t-shirt et al) so actual conditions when running were fantastic. I thought it was quite an iconic course since you take in all parts of central Paris. Support is ok in comparison to other European city marathons but very nice finish into the Champs Elysees. EVERY time I have been in Milan it has been raining! I have no desire to run a marathon there!

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I can only comment on Paris and I enjoyed it. It seemed less crowed than London and people seemed to be better at placing themselves in the correct pens for their ability. It does have its section out of the main part if the city but so does London.

The only real complaint was the price of a pint afterwards.
  • Options

I ran Milan in 2011 and loved it. Great city and fairly easy logistically. Not that busy but having a relay at the same time made for good crowds throughout. Was about 30 degrees C when I did it which proved a bit hit fo me!!

• Options

Thanks trirunningfaster, I have booked my place!

Milan it is. I am really looking fwd to it. I dont mind if it rains image

Cheers everyone.

• Options
    Hopefully you enjoy - never seems to get much press over here but it's a good race as far as I'm concerned!
  • Options

Teacake75 did you run Milan this year, if so did you like it,would you recommend it i am thinking of running it next April .