Options

"How long will you do it in?"

Nobody ever asks how long I will do a 5K in, but if I mention I’m doing a marathon that will be their first question. I don’t know why but it bugs me. They never ask how the training's going or are you running for a special reason etc. If I do mention a time, it will be “oh my friend, colleague blah blah, did it in……….” Half of them don’t even run or understand what is required to get to the start line aaarrgh!

I don’t normally like to think about a time until my training is done, and even then running a marathon is so unpredictable. One might have to adjust expectancy depending on weather or something happening during the run itself. I normally have 3 times in my mind before I start;

1.       Delighted to get

2.       Happy with time

3.       Disappointed with

Is this the sort of response you get?

Comments

• Options
    Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

Much more likely to get asked who are you running it for (as if that's the only reason you might run a marathon) than what time do you think you will do it in. Cant, honestly, recall the last time anyone asked me that.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

To be fair it is technically a race, so it's a pretty natural question to ask.  (A more informed question than "how far is this marathon?"...)  But I can understand being a bit naffed off with the follow up comments if they're not very impressed with your target.  You might want to ask them their marathon PB.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Id rather be asked "What time are you aiming for?" than "who are you running it for? at least I can give a decent answer.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I get asked which marathon, then if I've done one/that one before. As I do London I often do get asked which charity I'm doing it for, but that's a semi-informed question because people generally know it's hard to get into and some of them think you have to run for a charity. I don't mind being asked about times though I don't yet have a specific time goal. I also get asked how many times a week I train. Maybe I just have less annoying colleagues than some people?

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Anyway, what colour shoes is everyone wearing?  I genuinely haven't made up my mind yet.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Black with bright blue soles, Phil.

Edit: but I've had my hair cut and can't get it into a ponytail any more. Do I (a) tie it in girly bunches, or (b) wear a buff to keep it off my face? And if (b), what colour buff?

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Shave it all off and paint your face with black and green GI Jane stripes.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Now you're just being silly. That would clash horribly with my club vest.

• Options

Oh you can't possibly not be running for chariddeeee.

Best to ask anyone who asks you that if they do any sport themselves. Ask them if they do that for charity - love the blank looks image

• Options

"How long will you do it in?"  Oh, about 26.2 miles.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Stylish- do you train by Heart rate? or are you training by paces generated from a 10k-half marathon?

Realistically either of the above should give you a good ball park indication of where you are in terms of target time. What happens on the day- that is a different matter.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Stylish - I thought you were going to do it in 4 hours 22 minutes 00 seconds? image

• Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Bunches, lit.  Good to look like you're not that serious about it and then zoom off leaving everyone for dust.  Also, buff  too hot.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    4:22 is about 10 min miles isn't it? Tell them that and let them do the maths.
  • Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭

to be fair it is a better question than "How long to recover original level of fitness? "

• Options
    I think its a pretty valid question ?
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Actually, on reflection, I do also get asked how long it'll take me to do a 5k, 10k etc. Especially as those are distances that people who run a bit are more likely to do themselves.

• Options
    StylishStylish ✭✭✭

Gideon - I train at paces given to me by a very well respected member of this forum who has run over 300 marathons/Ultra’s combined and knows a thing or two about this. They work for me and I’ll tweak them to suit what my aim is.

Literatin – Lol. That’s the aim. Half the people that ask wouldn't even know the existence of this forum!

Skotty – That was and still is a good question imo.

I suppose it’s just my frustration at their lack of appreciation of what goes into training / running a marathon and that this is one race where finishing is still a major achievement irrespective of time.

• Options
    StylishStylish ✭✭✭

One club runner, who I try and avoid now, would always ask me "what time you going for" before the start of every race..........so annoyingimage

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I get, "So you're a runner then". To which I reply, 'is that an observation or an accusation?

Then its, "Have you ever run a marathon?", 'yes - a few'.

"Have you ever run the London Marathon?", 'yes, a few'.

"What's your best time?" at which point I say, 'it starts with the number two!' 'see ya'.

🙂

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭

200+ minutes isn't that impressive.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    What's wrong with asking at the beginning of a race. You should have a decent idea by then. Maybe he's just trying to make conversation.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

If I ask people that before a race it's so I know what pace they are likely to be running (and if it is similar to mine), or so I know whether I'm standing in more or less the right area of the start pen.

• Options
    Stylish wrote (see)

Gideon - I train at paces given to me by a very well respected member of this forum who has run over 300 marathons/Ultra’s combined and knows a thing or two about this.

Isn't 'well respected' and 'member of this forum' an oxymoron? image

• Options
    literatin wrote (see)

If I ask people that before a race it's so I know what pace they are likely to be running (and if it is similar to mine), or so I know whether I'm standing in more or less the right area of the start pen.

thats what i was thinking .though obviously i'm further back in the ,line than you  image

• Options
    StylishStylish ✭✭✭

I never ask anyone what they’re aiming for or pacing at before a race. I know what my training suggests I can do and I pace accordingly. If I’m feeling good I can always speed up or vice versa.

If I happen to run along with someone of the same pace, fine, if not, it’s not a problem.

RicF – I could do 3 out of 4image

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

But what if you know what pace you're planning to do and it turns out everyone around you is planning to run slower? If you find that out you can move forward and they won't get in your way.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Stylish- do your training paces, for example threshold runs, not give you an idea of your race pace? If not, get your supermate to explain it to you.

Oh and there are free online calculators that will give you excellent training pace advice, which might save you bugging the oxymoron that you mentioned earlier.
  • Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I too will look for people that I know who run close to my pace, or ask others what they are aiming for as it is good to have someone to share the pacing work with.