Options

Police

1235»

Comments

• Options
    seren nos wrote (see)

I hate it when I hear very young children use derogatory names for policemen...I can't believe that they have had bad experiences already so is another case of learnt behaviour....

If we didn't have police and the courts etc.... Then the only other option I can see is rile by the strongest and most violent of society...or rule by a dictator and his army.,,,same thing really....

Absolutely.

• Options
    Gideon Levy wrote (see)
    Ric- the police are meant to apply the law to everyone, the courts then do heir job and look at the circumstances of the crime/offence and apply sentencing accordingly. The police choosing how to apply the law is what leads them to be called corrupt.

For example, paedophile Mp? Let him go, he's alright! He's an MP!
    Let's focus on young blokes speeding- that is more important to the community.

No, no no... I think you might have cited earlier that it's more important to get someone like me. Never mind terrorism, grooming, pedophilia and stalking on the Internet. Not to mention hate speech and incitement.

• Options

True that, people are in their right to call the police and obviously if everyone took the law into their own hands, society could be in trouble since we all have different ideas of whats right, wrong, safe, unsafe etc.

And yes, I was released later without charge and told not to give chase again as it was a danger to myself and also, other people. The guy was a repeat offender from what I remember, either hard-up, lazy, desperate or some other factor I was unaware of but then I tend to think if we all went nicking things we wanted then who knows what would happen.

Of course at the time I was even more naive than I am now and only faintly aware of the tax-dodge that these 1% wealth commit on a daily basis, but then again just because they are doing something wrong doesn't give another the right to do something wrong to them.

Saying this, however, if I saw someone in trouble (i.e; being held at knifepoint or getting their head stamped on) I would probably at least attempt to intervene since it's just not in my nature to ignore that kind of thing, I'd rather get stabbed or my head stamped on than overlook something like that. So obviously, I didn't learn from the arrest image

• Options

And then there's Ipods and at what speed are you actually walking rather than running.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Screams,

devolve /d????v??lv/. verb

transfer or delegate (power) to a lower level, especially from central government to local or regional administration.

"measures to devolve power to a Scottish assembly"

synonyms: delegate, pass (down/on), hand down/over/on, depute, transfer, transmit, commit, assign, consign, convey, entrust, turn over, make over, sign over, give, part with, let go of, leave, cede, surrender, relinquish, deliver;

2. formal

pass into (a different state, especially a worse one); degenerate.

"the Empire devolved into separate warring states"

The formal use of devolve does seem to be usable in the way RuNner applied it earlier. It has been used that way in general speech for a number of years now, whether it was correct at the outset or not, it is certainly accepted as correct nowadays. Also if the only synonym for it is degenerate, then that supports the was runner used it.

Aside from that, I disagree with everything he has written. Oh no wait, he keeps changing his mind, so I disagree with most of what he has contributed.
  • Options
    Gideon Levy wrote (see)
    Screams,

transfer or delegate (power) to a lower level, especially from central government to local or regional administration.
    synonyms: delegate, pass (down/on), hand down/over/on, depute, transfer, transmit, commit, assign, consign, convey, entrust, turn over, make over, sign over, give, part with, let go of, leave, cede, surrender, relinquish, deliver;

2. formal

The formal use of devolve does seem to be usable in the way RuNner applied it earlier. It has been used that way in general speech for a number of years now, whether it was correct at the outset or not, it is certainly accepted as correct nowadays. Also if the only synonym for it is degenerate, then that supports the was runner used it.

Aside from that, I disagree with everything he has written. Oh no wait, he keeps changing his mind, so I disagree with most of what he has contributed.

Awesome! did you know that off the top of your head or did you paste it from a resource? Dissolve and devolve also have similar meanings then since the formal states to pass into a different state, I do love the English language sometimes but no wonder it must be so hard to learn.

As for keep changing my mind, like I said for me nothing is set in stone; I'm an atheist but I can't disprove a God therefore accept one could, in fact, exist. It's very hard to publicise the entirety of ones thoughts in word form, particularly on an internet forum where new responses and ideas occur at every turn and I'm sure people get bored enough reading the quagmire that is my convoluted thoughts and feelings.

• Options
    Gideon Levy wrote (see)
    Screams,

2. formal

Fair dos.

• Options
    Ru Nner wrote (see)
    Gideon Levy wrote (see)
    Screams,

2. formal

Awesome! did you know that off the top of your head or did you paste it from a resource? Dissolve and devolve also have similar meanings then since the formal states to pass into a different state, I do love the English language sometimes but no wonder it must be so hard to learn.

As for keep changing my mind, like I said for me nothing is set in stone; I'm an atheist but I can't disprove a God therefore accept one could, in fact, exist. It's very hard to publicise the entirety of ones thoughts in word form, particularly on an internet forum where new responses and ideas occur at every turn and I'm sure people get bored enough reading the quagmire that is my convoluted thoughts and feelings.

Surely science can disprove God. Ok, semantics, no-one can prove one.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Regarding the use of devolve, I knew its use was acceptable to mean the same as degenerate/dumb down (hence devolved power), but I did have to google it to find a load of dictionaries that supported my 'knowledge' so that I could copy and paste it.
  • Options

oh Runners World How I have missed thee.....

Pages and pages of strangness going round and round.

For what its worth..I have repect for the Police on the whole but it is not unconditional.