Options

Taper for VLM2015

I've been working with the Bupa intermediate training plan (with a few tweaks from my coach at run club). This will be my first marathon and I've just completed an 18 mile training run (yesterday), my run plan says to do my last long run this weekend (29th March) but lots of people keep saying i should be doing one more after that (5th April). What are other London Marathoners doing?

Comments

• Options
    I think a 4 week taper might be overkill.

3 sounds sensible and some people might do 2 but they're probably marathon veterans.

Just dont leave all your speed on the long runs - remember - not race pace.
  • Options
    Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

If the plan has worked for you up to now - then why not trust the plan?

• Options

I guess nerves are just setting in now, even though things are going well and my other sessions have been good. In any half I've only ever tapered for up to 2 weeks so wondered if you double it for a full. The marathon 'newbie' in me is thinking having 3 sundays without a run over 13 miles may be a bad idea.

• Options

I've never tapered for more than three weeks.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭
    The plan has been built by an expert. You have largely followed their advice so far. Personally I would see it through to the end. If you change too much now you will never know if the plan worked or not. ????
  • Options
    SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    I'm doing VLM too and am following the up to 55 miles P&D plan. My plan has LSRs of 17m this w/end, 20 the week after, 16 after that and then 12 the week before the race. 4 weeks does sound like a long taper, but as Keith says, if the plan has worked for you so far... I wouldn't want a taper longer than 3 weeks for myself but I've only ever tapered for less than a week for a half. How well do you recover from runs longer than 18 miles?
  • Options

The plan says 20 this weekend followed by 13, 10, 8 and then race day. Yesterday was my first ever 18 miler, I'm walking fine but very tired.

It was just good to get a bit of input from others and I was interested in what others were doing image

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I would do another long run, the point of the taper is to recover and start fresh, 3 weeks is plenty.

I don't want to muddy the waters but you could cut back this week's long run if you are really tired and do a final long run  on 5th April.