Options

Hamstrung injury 3 weeks before marathon

Hi there I'm running Brighton 2 weeks tomorrow. Last sat 15 miles in to 18 miler I felt a niggle in my hamstring I finished but was sore. I went to physio and she did some acupuncture and told me to rest till race day. It feels 90% better but still not 100% I was going for a sub 4hr and training has been awesome up until then. Will I be ok doing nothing before the race?

Comments

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I'd take the advice if the physio. There is no fitness to be gained in the last 2 weeks. Your main aim is to make it to the start line.
  • Options
    This is very true. I'd just convinced myself that I'd lose all fitness if I did nothing until then image not used to taking it easy!
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    You need rest to help your body to adapt and develop.

If you haven't been taking adequate rest in relation to your training, then that may have been the cause of the injury in the first place.
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Just call it an extreme taper image

Always better to hit the start line slightly over than undertrained.

Hamstring injuries can be a right pain (pun intended) to get rid of. Do you have a foam roller? That could help to make it heal quicker as you increase the blood flow. Also ask your physio about trigger point release. The hamstring pain quite often comes from tightness around the hip or piriformis.

I would also RICE it as much as you can.

Healing vibes and best of luck image
  • Options
    Thanks guys yeah I have a roller it's weird there isn't any pain now just tightness so just gonna rest until the big day.....hopefully will make it to the finish line without too many issues!