Options

Running after concussion

I'm afraid it's a bit of a long story but if anyone could give me some medical advice I would be really grateful.

A month ago I fainted and hit my head on a tiled floor. I landed right on the back of my head and got two large gashes and a concussion. After a week pretty much in bed sleeping, a check up at the hospital then revealed that the blow to my head had knocked some stuff loose in my inner ear (BPPV on the left side), which gave me bouts of dizziness. They did an Epley manoeuvre and I then slept upright for a week. The dizziness seemed to go away and I started running and slowly built up my pre-marathon training again. This last week, though, I have had a couple of dizzy spells which disappear pretty quickly. Generally, I feel well.

My question is - should I or should I not run my marathon at the end of April? Is it too soon? My legs and fitness level are fine but should I be worried about my head?

Thanks for bearing with me - and thanks in advance for the advice.

Comments

• Options
    I think this is a medical question you should be asking of whoever treated you.
  • Options
    SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

You are right of course, but the hospital refer me to my GP and they are closed until after Easter. I thought I could maybe pick the great minds of the forum in the meantime.

• Options

unless its been totally sorted then i would be worried....but the meidcs are the best people to tell you.....

the marathon can play havoc with blood pressure so i personally wouldnt race

• Options
    Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

Based on no medical training whatsoever I would say if you had that sort of blow and are now 3-4 weeks later getting dizzy spells again then you need a very specific all clear before carrying on with your marathon plans for this year.

• Options
    How can the GP be closed til after Easter ? That's ridiculous. Are they moonlighting as Easter Bunnies ?
  • Options
    SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

It's amazing that they just shut down for the holidays - I couldn't believe it when I tried to contact them. They are closed right up until Tuesday next week.

I will ask my doctor when she returns whether she has been running around with long ears and a fluffy tail (and then hope she has a sense of humour)

So I suppose I am hoping from some miracle advice from the forum.

• Options
    Do you have a Walk In place ?
  • Options
    SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

No - they don't do that system here. If my surgery is shut and it is urgent, I have to find another doctor instead. Not sure I can call my query urgent - although of course I think it is extremely important.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Miracle advice? You mean you wan someone to say it will be fine to run?

As with the others you need to get the advice of a professional. It doesnt sound like something worth risking. There will be loads more opportunities to run.
  • Options
    SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure whether I want to hear that it is safe for me to run or that I should give it up. I think I am hoping to hear some good advice. I have thought about it a great deal but my thoughts are coloured by the fact that I would of course like to run. I am hoping, I guess, for some impartial advice. A voice of reason.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

you have had impartial advice and many voices of reason...its just they havent said what you wanted to hear

if i was in your situation i wouldnt run again until i had the all clear.  I would also go to a different GP to get it discused before easter.  There is no way that your GP is closed for a week and they havent put in an alternative GP to be contacted.

• Options
    SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

It's quite common here (not UK) to close and just say contact another doctor surgery in case of urgent matters. Frustrating but true. The whole surgery is completely closed - all 4 doctors, practise nurses - everything. Amazing and difficult for an ex-pat to get used to.

You are right - I suppose I was hoping that I would hear what I wanted to hear and if I put my sensible hat on then I guess I knew it in my heart too. I suppose I am just disappointed - I have had a great winter training season. I guess I will close the April marathon book and look forward to running when it makes more sense and when I have finished having all the check ups at the hospital.

If I wasn't me, I would be telling myself off.

• Options
    SP13SP13 ✭✭✭
    I really appreciate the input i have received. I hope I didn't sound ungrateful as that certainly wasn't my intention. I appreciate the advice and it was good advice that I just needed to hear. I will drop Aprils's marathon and wait until I get an all clear from my doctor.
  • Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

SP13 -I had a pretty similar experience in October and am fine and looking forward to running the London Marathon. I was fully checked out .A GP friend of mine advised that  it was particularly important to have a brain MRI scan to rule out anything serious (my Neurolgist said all was fine)and I also had a 24 hour ECG carried out and reviewed by a Cardiologist which apart from showing my heart rate going quite low whilst asleep, was pretty much ok.After all that I ramped up my training. Ultimately it all confirmed what my treating GP diagnosed at the outset-situational syncope caused the faint. Fortunately I had BUPA for some of the tests but even so the process took about 10 weeks. Better to be safe than sorry as was brought home to me last week after attending my best friends funeral-56 years old! Had he had a thorough check up his treatable heart problem would have been spotted.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

sp13 - good point i hadnt stetched my mind to consider you were outside the UK. image

personally i would still go to the alternate emergency surgery and say you recently were concussed and still have some spells of dizziness.  get them to give you the once over before throwing the towel in on your race.

• Options

Can't be too careful with a head injury - I would be going to that alternative surgery or potentially back to A&E if you cannot get seen elsewhere.

• Options
    SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

Thanks - I will talk to my doctor when she is back after Easter and have started looking at autumn marathons instead. image

Thanks for sharing your story, 2Old. So sorry to hear about your best friend. 56 is far too early - my sincere condolences.

Thanks for all the help and thanks for listening.