Options

Going to give it a good shot

Looking for a wee bit of advice, I haven't really trained seriously since I left University about 3 years ago.
At that time I was averaging 30 miles a week with two quality speed sessions, one longish run at marathon pace, a AT pace run of @ 40 mins and one easier session. I got down to about 35ish mins for 10K after about 18 months of training.
I am now heading towards the mid 30's and have decided to give it a go, really train hard and see what is possible over distances up to 1/2 marathon. Does anyone have any sessions which they think would be beneficial to improve my training and help me get down to whatever time for my chosen distances. At the moment I am running about 38:30 - 39 mins for 10K off about 20 miles/4 runs a week.

Comments

• Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    I'm sure there will be lots of more direct advice but if you go to the first page of the "Base Training" thread there are a couple of links to some interesting articles that are worth downloading.

The other site I find very useful for research on the effectiveness of different types of sessions is www.pponline.co.uk.
  • Options
    Join the daily training thread - there will be plenty of ongoing support, inspiration and advice there.

That´s a good time for 10k off a relatively low level of training! If you didn´t want to go down the base training route, it could be worth starting to incorporate some tempo runs and speedwork into your training, and maybe join a club?

Inportant thing is to build up the intensity of your trianing, and the distance you run, gradually, so as not to cause or aggravate any injuries. Good luck!