Options

Recent Training affected by illness

Hi, I've been training since Christmas for the Manchester Marathon in two weeks time. Training had all been going to plan but a heavy cold meant I was unable to do my longest training run last weekend. I've not been able to run since. Thankfully this stinking cold has all gone but it's going to be a struggle to try and run this weekend. I should now be tapering but not sure what to do for the best. My longest run was 5 weeks before the marathon (21.5 miles). I did a fast Half marathon the following week. Do I still aim for a long run ? Or do I pick up the original plan (now in the tapering phase) as soon as I'm able to run ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    You don't say which plan have you been following, what sort of weekly mileage you have been doing or how experienced a marathon runner you are.

Personally, I think that a 21.5 mile long run is sufficient and it sounds as if you have been following a structured plan since Christmas to build up mileage gradually. I would definitely advise you to follow the taper as per your plan, a long run won't give you any fitness benefit before the marathon but will fatigue you and increase injury risk. Just follow the taper and get some rest over the next couple of weeks to ensure that you are rested for the race.
  • Options
    Yeah, sorry about that. It's my 3rd after completing Valencia in November. I've been following the BUPA intermediate plan. I'd say on average the training in average was about 30-35 miles each week.

Many thanks for the feedback ! It's very much appreciated !
  • Options

Hi, i'm also running Manchester and i'm in a similar situation, although I have completed my longest run (22 Miles) and have already started tapering. I did a 12 Mile run last Sunday and have picked up a really heavy head cold and sore throat and haven't run since.

It seems to be easing slowly ,but the dilemma is do I try a gentle 3 Miler to gauge or leave it, rest and hope it clears totally in time? I appreciate colds affect people differently, but as its my first marathon, i'm worried that doing nothing for 2 weeks before will undo the hard work. 

I've been following a similar plan to the Bupa Intermediate with 30-35 miles weekly. Any advice would be very welcome!

How are you feeling now Richjb?