Options

help needed - Shin Splints this close to London Marathon

Hi

Just some help please if possible on best course of action from anyone familiar with shin splint recovery times 

Did 23 miler on Saturday as build up to London but i think i have the onset of shin splints .   Recurring pain in lower left leg on inside of shin bone  .  It came on at around 19 miles and i was able to finish the run but been in some discomfort since. I haven't seen a Doctor yet as i'm unsure he would know much about it .

Will a weeks worth of rest and ice treatment likely see this ok as Marathon is just over 2 weeks away now and theres no way im pulling out .  I am an experienced runner of 4 marathons and 20 halfs but ive never suffered from injury before so i am a bit panicky about this so close to another Marathon !!

any help much appreciated ...

Comments

• Options

I haven't had this exact injury and I'm a real novice, but I have been injured close to a race. Once I stopped sobbing, I found my Physio was really helpful and far better than GP.  Maybe you could try a Physio? I've also heard people swear by acupuncture for miracle cures. 

• Options

You really do need to see a physio.  I had to pull out in 2013 with shin splint symptoms and I seem to remember it took a couple of months until I was back running.  Hurt like hell and I was convinced I had a fracture/stress fracture as it felt like my shin was gonna snap when I put weight on it.  My physio told me otherwise and got it sorted for me.

Essentially it all depends on the severity of the injury.  It doesn't sound too bad from your description so It will probably be fine if you RICE it for a week and scrap any further long runs but the only one who'd be able to give you any assurance is a physio. 

• Options

Hmmmm, me at this point I'd run it now. I'd cover the area in anti-inflammatory gel just before the off and go for it anyway.

This is almost certainly not good medical advice though. Anti-inflammatories (particularly taken orally) have been known to damage your kidneys.

I'd see a physio, tell them you are determined to run and if nothing else let them massage some of the pain and stiffness out of you.

Although book early, because every other runner in the country is currently seeing a physio for some pre-marathon injury right now!

• Options
    Thanks all

Going to give it a weeks combo of rest ice and calf stretches/massages and hope it eases off enough by next week to give me chance of a couple of pain free pre marathon runs

Physio and panic stations if none of the above works !!
  • Options

TBH you are asking a lot if you are hoping for a full recovery in such a short space of time.

Rest, ice, see a physio, then revise your race time and expect to do some walking too. 

It is probably going to hurt but just try to enjoy it and make the most of the day.