Options

Best GPS watch for ultras

Hi, looking for a GPS watch for UltraRunning only. Is there such thing as a watch that has very long battery life but without the all singing-all dancing swimming, cycling, Barometer, maps etc.  Best I can see is ambit 2 R but only has really long battery life if GPS mode is set at 60secs, is that accurate enough ?   Cheers

Comments

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Garmin Fenix 3 or suunto ambit 3 are the best... The cheapest and very good value Is the garmin 310xt 

fenix3 is a stunning watch, but technically about the same as suunto when actually running, just a lot prettier and more usable as an every day watch.

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

310xt does say 18 hours and can charge it on the move I don't think you can see the stats when charging on the move but will keep up recording so when you remove the charge have same set of stats and can keep going for another 18 or so hours. Charging them is easy. Just buy a cheap usb external battery pack, and plug your usb charging cable into it. You can usually do this and leave the watch on your wrist with the charter below It if you want or throw it in your rucksack whilst charging. 

• Options
    Thanks book trunk, do they still make the 310 or are 'new' ones old unsold stock ? Like the fenix 3 but loathe to pay ??400 for functions I'll never use...... Straight forward garmin 10 with 24 hr battery life...there's an idea !!
  • Options

You can charge the vivoactive in use, it's an absolute bargain for what it can do. Swim, bike, run, full GPS, connectIQ app compatible, daily activity and sleep tracker, smart watch, all for £180. It's a 920 that can be charged in use but with no altimeter and no multi sport mode.

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

310xt I assume is unsold stock but they are a bargain around £130 on Amazon. 

• Options

Further to Booktrunk's comments, when the charger is connected, you can use the mode button to page away from the charging display to the normal stats. It's a bit fiddly with the charging clip in place but you can do it. (Caveat: I haven't used a 310XT for some months so let's hope any firmware updates haven't changed this feature.)

• Options
    GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

The 310XT is the best Garmin I've had - 17 hours on a single charge - I don't get that with my Fenix. Plus the 310XT never crashed or locked up on me unlike the Fenix which is notoriously buggy and unreliable.

Didn't know about the mode trick for moving away from the charging display. But it charges quickly enough using a powermonkey or other USB charger that you don't miss it for long.

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Fenix 3 hasn't got the problems the earlier ones had GeeeM. It's seriously nice, but yes on one second recording it's around 12-13 hours between charges.

• Options

GeeeM would you mind checking whether the 310XT still continues an activity even when charging on the go with powermonkey? Thanks.

I'm not sure but when this issue came up somewhere a few months ago, I have a suspicion that the feature was messed with in a firmware update, but I read so many reviews it could be another one image I moved away from the 310XT simply because the strap-mount broke the same way twice, so I thought I would try the 220. But I miss my breadcrumb trail and display of HR% so I'm thinking of buying a 310XT again. I do long distance paths with run/walk in summers and I'd like to be sure this charging feature still works.

• Options
    GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

Sorry Steve, I don't have a 310XT any more... I have the Fenix now, but often wish I still had the 310XT as it was a solid bit of kit.

I like the look of the Fenix 3, and also the Epix but really can't justify it, especially having just bought a Garmin GPSMAP 64 handheld for navigation, (very nice - but that's a different topic)

To be fair, my Fenix has been a lot better recently - but it only lets me down when I really need it, which is normally towards the end of a big day out when I've lost the trail and am braindead, tired and confused.

• Options

Big fan of the Garmin 310 as it is easy to use and robust.  However the best I have managed from mine was 13 hours battery life and I found that fairly frustrating at times.  As above failure when I am brain dead and sun burned and need the pace info.  Good watch up to that point.