Options

Low Carb (high fat) Pirates

Comments

• Options

Duda, you must adapt pretty quickly though?

Weigh in this morning and half a lb down on my last weigh in with the PT.  Disappointing but doesn't take into account the weight gain/loss following Maastricht.

So overall positive but still very much in the dead leg stage of adapting to fat use from carbs.  11 days in so far...

• Options

HC - Don't forget it's also about waist measurements etc, not just about the scalesimage

I had a curry last night and half a naan bread. Really annoyed with myself

• Options

I have had the old measuring tape out - happier with how that's going - am losing weight but so incrementally if I think about it drives me a little nuts - better to focus on the feeling good during training and the clothes being a looser image

• Options

Had a bad weekend as folks were down to stay and carbs were on the menu.  Could have eaten a lot worse though, so tried to be relatively good.

Back on track this week though and might try and a fasted long training session soon, but not this weekend.  Getting a bit limited with lunch ideas though - stir fry or salad seems to be the only things on my menu.  I don't eat cheese unless it's cooked.

• Options

I had smoked mackerel, cucumber and baby plum tomatoes with a lemon and extra virgin olive oil dressing for tea last night.  Was nice.  I'm a grazer so sausage, paleo scotch eggs, hunks of brie and chopped up vege work well for me for lunch.

• Options
    If you like advacado try making guacomole and s Mexican style chile thingy serve it in one of those lonnnnng lettuce type leaves instead of a wrap. You can also add soured cream or crene fraise, as a lunch alternative.

HC, I think so maybe a week to 10 days.
  • Options

Just done my first HM, went unfuelled and don't regret it, no problems with energy levels, very happy with that.

Interesting experience after that though, I accidentally grabbed a lemon squash and downed it at the end thinking it was water. I then proceeded to treat myself an ice cream and had a 99. The latter was definitely a mistake, I used to love a 99. I found it pretty disgusting the ice cream tasted overly sweet, the flake was ok but the cone tasted foul. I felt sick after it and actually surprised I didn't throw it up.

I was surprised, after adapting to fat are all carbs like to cause this sort of reaction? Also I was very conscious that I could smell fat for long periods during the run. Not sure if it was noticeable to anyone else.

Anyone else experienced anything similar?

• Options

CF - well done on the unfuelled HM. Don't beat yourself up about the squash or even the 99. As long as you don't carry on that way, it won't have any adverse effects.. I find sweet things unbareable. I have even started to enjoy pepsi max or Diet Coke. I do feel slightly unwell if I endulge in sugary or carb heavy foods. I can't say I have experienced the smell of fat so that's a new one on me.

I went out this morning at 6am image  For a fasted long run which was quite interesting. I did 17 miles before I ran out of time and had to head home. So pretty happy with that and it's looking good for fuelling on race day...

• Options

Well done Fox & Iain on the running image

Not sure if anyone has seen it, but I downloaded the film The Big Fat Fix yesterday.  Cost about USD26 or something, but it was worth it.  I'll likely watch it a few times.  It just seems to start without any intro. but it's all about why fat is good for you, carbs aren't etc.  Worth a look.

I have to say I've been a bit all over the place food wise lately, but getting back on the LCHF wagon this week, so looking forward to feeling better soon.

• Options

Hi guys everyone seems to be doing well! 

5 weeks out from IM Wales and my training volume is now getting pretty high. On Sunday I ran 12miles to the pool, Swam for 30mins and then ran home another 6 miles, all at Maff heart rate.  I had around 200 Calories in the form of rice bran syrup but I think I probably could have done the whole session fasted at that low intensity.

Cunning Fox, as for smelling fat, its possible that you are smelling Acetone in your breath, this is a waste product of burning ketones during fat oxidisationimage

• Options

Ta all, didn't think about acetone but a Google suggests that's more like fruit or nail polish remover smell. This was more like sweating out a curry. Maybe it was that,  dumping some crap that I had stored via sweat (I hope).

Good to know the sweet issue isn't just me, I'll just avoid I think.

Just noticed my calorie target for yesterday was 4000 with the HM, my intake was circa 1300. This low deficit it's the furthest out I've been. I certainly didn't want for food yesterday and forced a bit more today as a result closer to 2000.

• Options
    Cunning Fox are you losing weight (body fat)? I guess you must be at such a large caloric deficit! You may be smelling toxins many of which build up in fat, burn the fat release the toxins! It's all part of the process, in the aerly weeks I stank on occasions. You need to keep an eye on eating enough a 300kcal deficit loses you about 1lb a week I think I read somewhere!
  • Options

Yeah I keep an eye on it, too much loss too quickly is not good. My run rate is about 1500 daily, and yeah I'm down 10kg (22lbs) in the last 3 months, 85.5kg now and about 1kg a week since starting LC (0.5kg last week) which is as fast as I want to go. My BMI goes normal at about 83kg.

I'm also down some 30-35kg in the last couple of years image

• Options

Morning all.  Looking for some advice!

So I've been on/off the LCHF, mainly just because I've been a bit crap and been eating some crap.  Anyway, the long story short is that while I've generally been exercising lately without taking any water/fuel, I'm doubtful that I'm fat adapted as yet - I'm a real plodder, and think I've been getting on without fuelling runs because I'm not running fast and I've only been up to 6.5 miles.

Last night I had dinner (fish & veggies & butter!) then did an 8 mile run about 2 hours later.  I was slower than usual, but miles 7 & 8 felt like a real slog and I was staggering about a bit on mile 8.  Popped into garage on way home and got a can of Coke - drank that and felt brilliant.  I never drink fizzy drinks anyway, but really felt I needed it.

So my question is, what should I do about fuelling?!  I'm training for a half marathon, and would prefer not to take on board lots of fuel but last night made me realise I probably still need it to an extent?  So is it better to have degraded performance at the mo and no fuel, or slightly better performance and a bit of fuel (e.g. gel or something)? I've still got loads of weight to lose etc. 

Any advice gratefully received.

• Options

I'm a bit similar to you Pea.  Really trying to stay on the LCHF wagon, but I have had the odd biscuit, piece of chocolate and ice cream.  I need to STOP, but finding it so hard.  I will try my hardest to stop eating this junk and only eat natural foods, no carbs.  I've eating much better than I was, but lots of room for improvement.  Really want to try this fat adapted training and therefore need to have more willpower.  Hopefully after a week or two I won't have the cravings for junk.  I think my main problem is boredom and/or habit when at work.

• Options

Yep I find boredom/habit is a real issue!  That said, what I found worked best for me is to ask myself if I'm actually hungry or not.  90% of the time, when I've fancied something sweet, I've not actually been hungry.  I try to keep some biltong in my desk drawer, or bring in bits of cheese, nuts, full fat yoghurt etc. so if I do actually feel hungry I can eat that instead.

Focussing on hunger has been a bit of a light-bulb moment for me; made me realise how little of my eating was actually based on being hungry!  Eating at specific times (i.e. 12 noon therefore must be time to eat lunch) is also something I'm trying to avoid.  So i'll eat my lunch later on when I'm hungry.  Doing all that definitely helped me with cravings I have to say.

• Options

Lee - I've always tried to focus on real food in this stage so as not to fall into the 'sugar' habit. 

I'm by no means an expert (and everyone tends to do their own thing) but salted cashews and a couple of dried apricots have worked pretty well for me.  PT Pete swears by cubes of butter, mayo and corned beef image 

There is always an element of legs feeling shit at this stage and you will get through that. 

• Options

On another note (and sharing the pain) I had the worse ride ever this morning.  It was fasted but I didn't feel hungry.  Just had absolutely nothing in my legs.  Which I'm taking to be a good thing.  Adaptation can take a good month usually ( I'm 15 days into Whole 30) so half way there.

Crumbs it was awful. (shakes head)

• Options
    Lee the Pea wrote (see)

Yep I find boredom/habit is a real issue!  That said, what I found worked best for me is to ask myself if I'm actually hungry or not.  90% of the time, when I've fancied something sweet, I've not actually been hungry.  I try to keep some biltong in my desk drawer, or bring in bits of cheese, nuts, full fat yoghurt etc. so if I do actually feel hungry I can eat that instead.

Focussing on hunger has been a bit of a light-bulb moment for me; made me realise how little of my eating was actually based on being hungry!  Eating at specific times (i.e. 12 noon therefore must be time to eat lunch) is also something I'm trying to avoid.  So i'll eat my lunch later on when I'm hungry.  Doing all that definitely helped me with cravings I have to say.

That sounds like a plan.  I'll ask myself if I'm actually hungry, which I'm not most of the time.  I just instinctively reach for a biscuit etc.  I like the idea of not eating lunch at 12pm too and only eating it when you're hungry.  Will see if this works.

Happychap wrote (see)

On another note (and sharing the pain) I had the worse ride ever this morning.  It was fasted but I didn't feel hungry.  Just had absolutely nothing in my legs.  Which I'm taking to be a good thing.  Adaptation can take a good month usually ( I'm 15 days into Whole 30) so half way there.

Crumbs it was awful. (shakes head)

Kind of laughing at the no legs HC, but at least you're halfway there.  I can have a good excuse now for being totally 5hite image.  The main reason I want to try this low carb way, is to improve my training and times.

• Options

Lea - are you sure it wasn't lack of salt making you stagger about and feel awful. Duda suggested that to me a few weeks back and when I thought about it I realised I'd had no salt the day before and with nothing processed, no added salt either. Just a thought.

Im not eating junk (chips sometimes when we go out and wine) but I don't feel so full that I want to skip any meals. I do think I'm eating enough fat. Too much and i need the toiletimage but i do get hungry late afternoon

Also in races I think even a lot of the low carbers take on carbs because they're accessed differently. I did a fasted 17 mile run last week which was ok but hot. Just took water and bought some more half a mile from home but I'm also trying to work out what to take on a long run when I want to put a bit of effort in. I think Iain Love or someone said bran syrup in a race? Will have to look that up.

I also wish there was a light bulk moment that said "you're fat adapted noimage"

HC - keep going. Next one will be better

Road to nowhere - you could try making several different low carb treats to keep at hand in your fridge, then if you're hungry you'll at least have a healthy snack. Some ice cream if you like that and fat bombs

• Options

Thanks folks!  Yeah I hadn't thought about salt Snail, I do remember Duda mentioning that, now that you say it!  Thanks image  It would be good to have something that makes it clear you're fat adapted.  I take it do things just start to feel easier again?

Good idea re cashews etc. HC.  Hadn't thought of anything like that. While I do love butter (and could easily just eat a lump of it!) I'm not sure how I'd carry that with me, haha.  That said, I guess anything that fits in the LCHF bracket that's easily transportable (I HATE carrying anything in my hand so would need to fit in a belt etc.) would be good.  bran syrup at a push I guess (sounds hellish but I should try before saying 'no' to it!). 

I do feel a bit bereft of energy of late, so hopefully in a month or so it'll start to get a bit easier. Energy aside, I definitely feel better health wise on LCHF than anything else which is the main thing.

• Options

HC - are you talking about cashews and dried apricots for fuel whilst running? If not they're both terribly high in carbs for a snack

• Options

Brazil nuts are good but I do keep an eyeball on how many I eat tho' - babybels are good too for snacks.

• Options

SS yes - while training only.  Way too many carbs for general snackage if you're trying to lose weight (as I am)

• Options
    During adaptation avoid fuelling during excercise, working through the low energy by slowing down/walking until you feel better forces the body to switch to fat, the coke was a bad idea Lea, if you had persevered you may have experienced the magic for the first time????

It is so worth it to get it right and nothing worthwhile was ever easy! Put yer big girl pants on everyone, it really is worth it!
  • Options
    I agree with EM. That magic switch is such an amazing feeling like you have found the turbo boost button... Stick it out and it will be worth it..

I've managed to keep on plan except I don't think I am eating enough fat so this morning I made a BP coffee but didn't have butter so i used lurpak...yuk. Not the best thing to have used.
  • Options
    Haha, thanks guys. I'll make sure I'm wearing my big girl pants on next time then!!
  • Options

I just had spare ribs with barbecue sauce, it was like eating a pork flavoured hot fudge cake, yummy but yuck all at the same time and I know I am going to regret itimage

Point is, we all make poor choices occasionally, the trick is to try and minimise them!

• Options
    Anyone going to watch the Browlnee brothers in action this afternoon?
  • Options

If I can get away with it at work! I have the headphones at the readyimage