Options

Marathon Shoes 1st Marathon 3 hours 30 minutes

HI folks,

I plan on running my first marathon in 7 weeks time and am aiming for a time around the 3.30 mark.

I have been training in a pair of Asics GT1000 2 which are roughly 1 year old and have seen the back of +700 miles. They have caused me no problems with regard injury however weighing in at 320g and with the mileage they have seen im wondering whether a new pair would prove beneficial?

I have been looking at adidas adizero boost 2, are these too minimalist for a first time marathoner?

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Options

I think you should get another pair of the same shoes you have been wearing for your training.

• Options
    Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

So close to your first race this is not the time to be experimenting with different shoes. Buy another pair of the Asics if they haven't caused you any issues.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    The advice above from Keith and Lit sounds spot on.

It's a bit late to start trying out new types of shoe. If the others have worked so well I'd stick with them. Albeit a new pair of the same model.
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Yeah, get a new pair of the same model. Get a handful of runs in just to make sure they feel OK and use the new ones for the race.

After the marathon you can look at lighter shoes for shorter races and fast training.  By trial and error you can work out what feels comfortable at different distances.  Some people can get away with very minimalist shoes for the marathon but it very much depends on an individual's running style and biomechanics.  

BTW, do you mean Adios Boost?  (Adizero covers a wide range of different models.)  I wore these for my last marathon and they seemed OK, but I'm trying the Boston Boost for the next one because I think they'll provide a tad more cushioning to protect my calves.  But that's beside the point.  I had plenty of time to try out the Adios Boost before the marathon.  I wouldn't try anything new at this stage if I were you.

• Options

Thank for the responses guys, PhilPub yea sorry i meant adios. I think ill go get me some new trainers. Unsure whether it is truely too late to try something new as have read it takes around 50 miles to break a new pair of shoes in. Surely this can be done in the next week? leaving 4 more weeks to get used to the shoes (200 miles) before tappering down...if all fails i would go back to my original pair as they have caused no injuries. Thanks doe

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

The big unknown that can't be tested until after the actual marathon is how it feels to run and recover from running 26 miles at race pace.  So even if you got some lighter shoes and tried them out a few weeks before in, say, a half marathon, this won't tell you how the new shoes will feel after 20 miles of the marathon itself when fatigue really starts to set in.  So I just don't think there's enough time to test every aspect of the new shoes to be confident they're up to the job without injuring you.  Your call though, good luck!

• Options
    I'd definitely err on the side of caution and try the new Asics out.Theres always a risk that theyve changed that model even - I'd definitely not be swapping brand and type at this stage.

Save the lightweight shoes for once you've got round the marathon. A bit of comfort over 26 miles will be appreciated by the feet.
  • Options

I ran London this year in some new(ish) shoes that were the same as shoes I'd had multiple pairs of in the past, but a newer model. (Kinvara 5 rather than 2 or 4 that I'd had before). I'd done long runs in the new shoes and I'd also raced 5 miles and 10 miles in them with no problems. They were really comfy. Then in the actual marathon it turned out they were just a little bit smaller at the front than my other shoes and they made my toes bleed. image