Options

401 Challenge

I had a quick search on the forum but couldn't see this mentioned.

Basically, there is a chap who is attempting to do 401 marathons in 401 days, and this challenge seems to be gathering momentum around the local clubs in my area (South West).

I haven't met him but a few from my club did and said he was a pretty inspirational guy, and very passionate about what he is trying to do.  

To me it just doesn't seem possible, but I hope he does it.  Today is his 13th one, so he's very early on in the challenge, and apparently taking them at a very steady pace.  He has done a few marathons in the past, including a 7-in-7 challenge, but is 401 possible?  What do you think?

http://www.the401challenge.co.uk/about/401-challenge-and-man-behind-it-all

(I should say I have nothing at all to do with this challenge and don't know the organisers in anyway, but he is obviously doing it for charities he's passionate about).

Comments

• Options

He's still going, in east Cornwall. That's seriously hilly territory. He's not taking the easy way out.

But whenever I see this kind of challenge I scratch my head and think, "why?" A handful yes, but 401? And he doesn't seem to be making much of an impact with it, tbh.

I mean, fair play to him and all that, I wish him success, but I don't really see the point.

• Options

Yeah, we're supporting him at our club on the local run to us.

Fair play to him and it should be doable but I can't help thinking that interest will wane after a while.
    I'm guessing he has no partner/family and no job though....

• Options

I ran half of his 57th marathon with him today and he's still going strong. If you've read the bio on his website you'll understand why he's doing it. Hopefully the further he gets, the more support/interest he'll generate.

… and he does have a partner, plus family, but ditched his job to do this.

• Options

will be supporting & joining in with some of the run when he visits my town on sunday.

Here's hoping the UK running community get behind this guy, He warrants our support.

• Options

Ben ran his 62ns consecutive marathon on sunday, in Bracknell.

It was an honour & a privilege to run it with him.

The man is an inspiration, & I highly recommend you check him out if he comes to your town.

www.the401challenge.co.uk

• Options

he seemed a nice chap.....but at the moment the sponsorship is still really low....I wonder in todays climate if there is really enough people willing to sponsor someone for running to the tune of £250.000...

it must of been a lot of work to get all those sponsors in hand to pay for the travelling etc prior to the attempt.

and then to dedicate over a year of your life to running it.

I really hope that he doesnt get injured before the sponsorship money has time to build up to something worthwhile.....

• Options

Ade........explain a bit more what is inspirational about him.we hear the word a lot..if you could clarify what is inspirational then it might help raise awareness

• Options

check out his back story, why he's running & the family issues he's had to deal with in the last week, alone.

He's giving talks in schools en route, he's bringing happiness & hope to many people. Meet the guy, talk to him, run 1 mile or 26 miles with him. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

• Options

I like the idea of giving talks to schools etc.... that doesnt come across on his fund raising page........this is the type of thing i mean imageimage

• Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Agree with you Seren. Not sure how I find inspiration in jacking your job in and leaving the wife (and kids) for over a year to go running. Envy perhaps, inspiration, no.
    I find that in many of the coaches and volunteers I come across that work full time yet given plenty of extra hours to support and mentor children and adults.

• Options

Just been running with him today- he has just passed the halfway point - ie 201 marathons. Still going strong. Sponsor money is building up, and perhaps the heavliy publisied 27 marathons by Eddie will result in the mainstream media noticing this guy as well!

He has "only" managed £35k so far, but that's a lot better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick for his chosen charities.

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    He is utterly amazing. When I first heard about the challenge I thought it was basically pretty stupid...and then I met him. I don't know what it is about him but you end up just completely believing in him. Can't wait to run with him again in May.
  • Options

running with him again in April.

Very much looking forward to it.

• Options

He's been in a report on the BBC News channel today. Shown in Breakfast and a couple more times during the day.

• Options
    I'm going to be running with him on Saturday so I'll report back. He does seem very genuine and at least he has plenty of people running with him to verify his performances. Unlike another "famous" multi marathoner.
  • Options

I ran with him for a stretch of the Manchester marathon and he is a really top bloke. Enjoy, Millsy!

• Options

That's amazing, I wish I'd known about it when he did a marathon in my town.

• Options
    Millsy wrote (see)
    I'm going to be running with him on Saturday so I'll report back. He does seem very genuine and at least he has plenty of people running with him to verify his performances. Unlike another "famous" multi marathoner.

Saw him at parkrun this morning, weather was shit how'd it go?

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    It was an awesome day. Even better than I was expecting. The weather at parkrun was horrific but was mostly dry as we made our way out on a long loop to Stonehenge and back. I'm usually quite cynical about a lot of things but Ben was very inspirational and made time to talk to everyone and was in good spirits despite the mikes under his legs. Also got to chat to loads of different people on the run.

The total milage was about 28 and with hindsight I shouldn't have run so hard for the parkrun.
  • Options

If I had the miles in my legs I might have joined the run, mind you I'd have probably pestered him with a load of questions he's probably answered hundreds of times already. Glad to hear the weather held, I almost bailed on the parkrun itself.

Particularly pleased the media coverage picked up as he neared the end, it was an impressive feat, mind you his cooldown is equally impressive, a month of back to back half marathons followed by a month of 10ks then 5ks I think. Don't know how his legs and feet survived.