Options

How do you fit it all in?

This week has been a disaster for running for me and I was reflecting on how I've not managed to fit it in with everything else I have to do: I have a demanding full-time career based in London, am finishing a part-time PhD in the evenings and at weekends and have a husband, house and two cats which all demand attention. BUT I know that I'm not the busiest forumite (I don't have children yet!) so I could really use hints and tips from you lot about how you still manage to fit running into your lives along with everything else.

How do you fit it all in? (and remain relatively sane!)

Comments

• Options
    If I limit myself to one marathon a year, I feel able to be ruthlessly selfish about making training runs take priority over everything else.

Sometimes life gets in the way, even so.
  • Options
    I've stopped watching TV.
    Best thing I ever did.
  • Options
    If I gave up hanging around the RW forums, I'd have a lot more time to train!
  • Options
    That's probably true for all of us, V-rap!
  • Options
    Why did I think this thread was about running shorts?!
  • Options
    Cos you're a lycra pervert fiend, minkey boy!
  • Options
    Jon: why do you need a tip?
  • Options
    "relatively sane"?

Nah, sorry Coco-cat. You've lost me there.

Seriously though, even a full week without running is not a disaster by any definition of the word so unless you've actually injured yourself I wouldnt beat yoursef up too much about it.

What I would suggest is to have a look and see what races you want to enter, have a look at a few schedules and see how you can work them in. Cant run at night? run in the morning. Apart from getting a run in, it sets you up perfectly for the day ahead and will help with all the other stuff in your life.

Can you run to or from work? One forumite I know is currently running 40 miles per week mainly by running to work.

Do you have showers at work and a flexible, understanding boss? If so, try a lunch-time run. If you cant run, can you swim at lunch-time?

Can you join a running club? If so the chances are you'll get good quality training even if the quantity isn't to your liking.

Can I say "think outside the box"??

Thought not :-)))

• Options
    Insanity helps, along with an elastic go-with-the-flow training schedule. To be honest, something does have to give & it's a question of choosing what's most important. Like many people, I'd like to fit in more running, but I compromise on making sure I get max enjoyment out of what I can do & not beating myself up on what I can't do.
  • Options
    One problem is that I'm quite dependent on other people being able to run with me: I work near Victoria Park, where 2 runners have been attacked and 1 killed, and I live in a village with no street lighting (yes, that's right!!) so it's too dark to run after work by myself. I do have lunchtime running partners and a club I go to once a week, but this week it's all fallen apart! Today is the first day this week that I can run at lunchtime and go to the gym tonight.
  • Options
    At the moment I fit my Ultra Marathon training in by running home from work (a real good time saver) and acknowledging that my Sundays are given up to running before anything else.

It does seem that there arent enough hours in the day alot of the time, but if you want to do it bad enough you can make time. Juggling running, with work, entertaining my son, getting to the pub for a few beers, spending time with the misses is hard work. I have had to sacrifice a few things e.g I enjoy cooking - I find it very relaxing but I almost never have the time to do it anymore...so my misses does it and she is a truly terrible cook.

Treat running as a priority and you can fit it in - its important that you have the support of the rest of your family mind.

To me running is a solitary thing - I hate doing it with others unless Im competing against them in a race. Its my one time that I truly get time to myself.
  • Options
    Hi Coco-Cat.

I've been working 60-80 hour weeks in the City for the past 5 months and I'm in the 4th year of a part-time PhD (tho admittedly haven't done an awful lot on it recently!) and although I don't have cats, I do have a boyfriend and what feels like live-in builders in the house... so I know how you feel!

The only answer I've come up with recently is to get up earlier and go to bed later. Not sure if that helps though.

The other answer is get yourself some good friends!

Like you, I won't run in the dark by myself - the route from the City to Greenwich goes through Deptford and Bermondsey.

I suspect I may have been the forumite Chimp was talking about (am I right, Chimpy??) - but I do depend on friends - particularly other forumites. The Greenwich Park thread has been fab - if you take a look at it, you'll see what I mean. On Tuesday, for example, there were five of us running from home to work.

The trick is to multitask as much as possible - replace travel with running, or combine travel with studying, or instead of trying to meet 3 friends individually in a week, have an informal party on a Saturday evening and invite them all (and tell them to bring food!). Internet shopping's also good - particularly for repeat lists, so you have a basic list that you just click on every Thursday and lo and behold, all your essentials turn up on Friday evening when you get in, ready for the weekend.

At the moment, my schedule is pretty much:

Monday - rest
    Tuesday - run to work
    Wednesday - club run
    Thursday - run to work
    Friday - run home from work
    Saturday - longish run
    Sunday - long run with other GPers 9am/ race

However, I'm a complete tart - if anyone phones up offering to run home with me on any other day, I'll accept, even if it means running twice, as I know there's a high chance something won't happen. Also, I started a Running in the City thread and manage to squeeze in an occasional lunchtime run with other forumites too.

It's not easy, and occasionally everything goes pear-shaped and you want to scream - and that's where your friends come in very useful - ditch the run and go for a drink!

Good luck!

• Options
    oh - and re cooking - I do it all on Sundays, or at least as much as possible. Usually I'll cook a lasagne and a casserole, and then alternate them for Sun, Mon and Tues and freeze the others in microwaveable boxes for one (so boyf can get his own dinner if I'm stuck at work past midnight again!). He hasn't yet complained about the monotony, but that might be because he doesn't want to cook his own food!
  • Options
    Quite right, Snail. Twas you.

You've probably made Coco-cat feel totally inadequate now. I'm knackered just reading it :-))

So tell me, when did you become a complete tart and when do you fit THAT in? Dont tell me, before work, after work and at lunchtime.

What a gal! ;)
  • Options
    oi! cheeky!

should've anticipated that though.

No time for THAT! well, you can't have everything, can you?! ;-)
  • Options
    ps - if you were a bloke, you prob would have time - you only need 2 mins...

• Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Gosh Snail - I thought I had it bad by working long hours and hence waking up very early to go running before work. But you take the biscuit. Well Done!
  • Options
    Take the biscuit? If anyone offered me one, I'd eat it...

• Options
    2 minutes!!!

Oh I forgot you southern types liked to talk a bit first.
  • Options
    trust you to lower the tone...

<snail glares reprovingly>

• Options
    BTW Snail, I am a bloke.

Have you taken notice of nothing I've said over the past 10 months?
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    What a busy life you lead there Snail!

I'm not sure I'd be as motivated as you if I didn't have a clear block of time to run on a regular basis.

I'm a mum, work 30 hrs a week (which is why I can run mostly every day if I want)and I'm studying part time for an OU degree. However, life does still get in the way sometimes making me have to miss training or rushing to fit everything in.

I think all of you who have to get up early to run to or before work and brilliant. Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    bloomin' 'eck, Chimp, are you really? I've been so misled...

Actually, nobody would give me such credit for running to work if they knew the alternative was South Eastern Rail, formerly known as Connex South East. Believe me, running's more comfortable, more reliable and often faster...
  • Options
    and less cramped too.

Says he, a fellow Dover line sufferer. Although thank goodness I don't work in London!
  • Options
    <Coco slinks in, feeling completely inadequate in the presence of the Mighty Snail>

Thanks for the advice guys. Running to and from work would certainly help to fit it all in. I go on the tube each day so I guess I must be able to find a route from an earlier tube stop but I suspect that will take me through some dodgy parts of east London!
  • Options
    Coco - there's bound to be somebody else living near enough to you and working near enough to you.

Start a thread - sooner or later someone will come forward. Then you get company on the run, and reassurance... it's a much more pleasant way to start the day than stuffing yourself into a LU sardine can.

Where do you live, and where do you work? I do the first mile of my run by myself, but it's along a busy main road in a relatively safe area. I'd be happy to run the last bit by myself too, it's the middle bit I don't want to do. I started a "Running in the City" thread on Training - I have a feeling there are a couple of East Londoners on there, so you could always have a quick look at that. Depending on where you live, you may find there are people coming in from further out who could get the tube to you and then run in the last bit of the journey...

The only thing is being very very organised at weekends, and having at least 2 of everything, otherwise you discover you've got no running shoes at home, or all your coats/jackets are in the office! You need to make sure that you run home from work as many times as you run in each week and vice versa, or else you have a very big bag!! And you need to take in clothes/towel for the week on a Monday morning. Little things like keeping your essentials (wallet, keys, etc) in a plastic bag in your handbag, so when you run home, you just dump the plastic bag in your rucksack and leave your handbag in the office - you'd be amazed at the difference the bag makes to the weight of your backpack!

I've seen quite a few people mentioning that they run in Victoria Park - why don't you start a thread called "Victoria Park"? If you look at the GP thread, you'll find that we have regular Sunday long runs, the runs into work twice a week, a monthly social, we generally do the same races, so have socials round them too, about 8 of us are amongst the forumites going to The Hague in March... and there's a wide pool of runners all living close by so there's a good chance that if any of us post asking for company on a run, somebody will be able to make it. And all because Crafty started a thread saying "who runs in Greenwich Park?". If he hadn't, there's no way I'd be able to fit everything in...

Anyway, good luck, I'm sure you'll be able to find at least one other person on this forum who'd like to do part of your run with you...

• Options
    I suspect, because of the problems Coco-cat has already referred to, the a Victoria Park thread would really take off.

Give it a go, C-c. You might be surprised at the response.
  • Options
    You are both so right, Chimp and Snail. I'm sure there must be folk out there who I can run with at some point.

Snail, I live near Epping (end of Central Line) and I work in Mile End. If you know of any 10-min-milers already in either of those areas, please ask them to email me or post here. For now, I'm off to start another thread.....