Options

Manchester or Brighton?

Hi, so Spider-Man paid a visit to me last week, and having run London last year for charity I'm not sure I can face all the fundraising again. So my question is which is better Manchester or Brighton? London was my first marathon and I finished in 4.05, so I'm keen to improve on my time. I would like to think I was capable of a sub 4, as my longest training run for London was 17 miles and there was a loo stop on the day. What sort of time do you think is good to aim for? Any advice much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Options

You're in the same boat as me. Brighton is currently full, although they are re-opening entries for a limited time. You can register your interest for when they do that, but you're not guaranteed a place.

I've just signed up for Manchester, which will be my first full marathon. It's well supported and flat (plus I have some friends up there) so I figured I'd go for that one rather than wait on Brighton and face further disappointment.

As for the time, I don't have the experience to comment on that but, with a few longer training runs and no toilet break, why not aim for under 4?

• Options

I've done both. Both are good.  I significantly preferred Brighton for atmosphere (despite being a Lancashire lad) and if you've got supporters going, then Brighton is for most people, a better weekend destination. But Manchester is still good, both for atmosphere and for things to do.  And if you are all-consumed by the faster course, then Manchester an advantage..

• Options

I've done both and prefer Manchester. It's very well organised and they still post out bibs and race packs so no ploughing through crowds to pick up the day before. Brighton is well supported and I did enjoy the actual race, it was just a little to big and busy for my liking, it also had the longest prerace loo queues I've ever experienced!! 

Both courses have a dull section at around miles 21-23/4 but that's true of so many races it's hardly worth considering.I thought both were really well supported most of the way round.

Manchester by far the quicker course... flat as a pancake so if you're looking for a quick time that's the better bet.

Not been much help I know, they are both good races but if Spider-Man ever  finally lands on my doormat it'll be Manchester for a third time next April for me image

• Options
    Thanks for the info, how congested is Manchester? Is it as bad as London?
  • Options
    P.S I still can't believe you haven't heard about London, that is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Hi Maisie, yes I know, I've traipsed home every lunchtime for a week to check and still nothing!

After the first mile Manchester thins right out and all of the roads are nice wide main ones so have never felt too crowded.
  • Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    I had Manchester booked up and then the missus booked us into a much more gruelling event- namely taking the kids to Disneyworld. As expected the London Marathon Ballot came up with bigger all so it wS either Brighton or Edinburgh for the Spring. I went for the latter.
  • Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    Manchester was my first marathon and I think it's a fantastic event. It had some logistic issues a few years back when it reopened but having sorted those teething issues it goes from strength to strength. Slight downer having to finish at a shithole of a football stadium but other than that I can't fault it.
  • Options
    Right, you have persuaded me - think I will go for it!
  • Options
    Yay! You won't be disappointed image (it's also a really good one for your supporters to follow you around using the metro)
  • Options
    Just the winter training to get through ..
  • Options

You and me both. image

I have friends up in Manchester so I know it relatively well. Turns out one of my friends is also marshalling although he's not a runner himself. I'm looking forward to it.

• Options

Morning all.  I've plumped for Brighton after umpteenth miss with VLM.  Mate did it a couple of years back and had a blast.  Now looking forward to the dark nights training in S Wales!

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Manchester for me-will be my first and have heard very good reports about it on here and other places. Dark nights and mornings training for me in S. Wales alsoimage

• Options
    Manchester was my first marathon back in 2013 (done 13 since!) and will be entering it for the 3rd time before the end of this month image

Can't rrcommend it highly enough, especially for a first timer! (I prefer winter to summer training)