Options

Cross-training

Hello,

Can anyone give me some advice?

I injured my groin before christmas and am currently not running and I'm having treatment for it with a sports consultant and twice weekly with a physio. I am on a Golden Bond place for this year's FLM and want to continue my training so I don't have to drop out. Before the injury I was up to 25 miles per week with max of 10 mile runs. I have relented and joined a gym recently in order to use their cross trainers. Can I get 'running-fit' in order to run on April 18th by using the x-trainer? I am not going to do the marathon unless I can run at least 13 miles 1 month beforehand without pain, but I want to be able to get to that level of fitness in the meantime, otherwise 26.2 miles is going to seem like an AWFUL long way.

Cheers

Dom

Comments

• Options
    I didn't run October to December due to Plantar Fasciitis. My fitness on the eliptical trainer/cycle/stepper and in the pool improved over this time, but when I resumed with 5 minute runs in early January I found these harder than I expected. After a couple of weeks I was back to normal, and beat my October 10k time on Sunday.

I'd guess cross-training is a lot better than not training, but not as good as specific training (ie running).

Good luck